Health & Exercise
Options

runners with bumps, how are your knees?

I've gained about 10 lbs so far, and am still running regularly.  Besides decreasing my pace and distances, I'm feeling as good as before getting pregnant.  Now that I am going to be gaining weight more rapidly, I'm getting a little concerned about my knees because I know heavier runners tend to have problems with them.  Since my knees aren't used to carrying the extra weight, I'm afraid I am going to get injured.  Anyone else concerned about this or have a solution?  Thanks!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: runners with bumps, how are your knees?

• Options

I was able to run for the first 5 months and then I had to switch to the ellipitcal.  But I did slow down when I was pregnant - I tried to watch my heart rate and I ran so that it was comfortable.  I never seem to have issues because of my weight gain (and I gained like 40 total)

Good Luck!

• Options
    I love your daughter's name!  I posted on the Baby Names board about the name Jorja before we knew we were having a boy, and everyone was hating the name. :(  I think it is so pretty though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My knees are fine. I just wish my baby would get off my bladder when I run.
  • Options
    So far my knees are good, but I'm only running two slow miles at a times. My husband also bought me a pair of ultra cushioned Asics gel cumulus shoes after I found out I was pregnant. I think they have helped. ?
  • Options

imagekirkette:

No kidding!  I literally stop every mile to pee!  I'm running on the treadmill, btw. 

• Options

Ran 2.7 last night, walked .25. Knees are fine but having issues with an old IT band injury popping up again (sort of knee related.) Hubby and I think it's due to the change in hip width and the change in how I am carrying myself while running. 23 pounds and 31 weeks along...probably won't be running too much longer.

Slow down a bit, make sure you get fitted for good shoes at a running store. They may recommend stability shoes or cushion shoes for you at this point. 

• Options
    I ran regularly until about 26 weeks, I noticed my back started to hurt A LOT after a run.  So, I took a break from that and "crosstrained."  You may want to be careful b/c the closer you get to term the looser your joints will get, so try a brace (what I'm going to do for my back) and if that doesn't help, I would try to find something else to do until after labor.  Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear...I'm chomping at the bit myself.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am 26 weeks and have been runnin 2-3 times a week and cross training other days. I do 4-5 miles at a much slower pace and it's been fine until this week. I've gained 22 pounds (eek!) and the extra weight is making running harder, plus my back and hips hurt. I think it's just from my body changing. Just take it a day at a time and remember that you can always crosstrain. I hate to think about giving up running though!
  • Options
    imagemrs.mastro:

imagekirkette:

No kidding!  I literally stop every mile to pee!  I'm running on the treadmill, btw. 

I'm still running outside (walking for 5 mins every 15 mins, though) so I don't have places for bathroom breaks and the bladder pain/pressure it killing me! I don't know how people run into the 30 weeks. They must do loops around bathrooms!

As for knee pain, I've gained 13lbs and haven't noticed a difference at all, but like everyone else, I've slowed down and take walk breaks. Then again, I was about this weight when I started running 6 years ago and didn't have any problems then.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I ran until the day before I gave birth, about 40 miles per week. I only gained 12 pounds so the added weight was no issue for my knees. I don't think it should be a problem, as the weight gain is so slow and gradual that your knees should get used to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm 23 weeks and up something like 17 lbs (ugh).  I'm still running about 20 miles/week (4-5 miles/4days), and my joints are generally holding up well.  That said, I definitely have more tweaks and joint pain, but nothing that has settled in as a recurring problem.  My calf hurt one day, my hip another, and an old, weak ankle hurts occasionally.  I figure as long as nothing hurts for two days in a row, I'm okay.  I'm also stretching at night, which seems to help a lot.  If things get worse, I may cross train one day so that I don't run on consecutive days, which also seems to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"