Birth Stories
Options

C-section due to failure to descend... 3 hrs of pushing!

Sorry this has taken so long, but I?ve been rather busylately, you know, with the whole newborn thing and all.  As you all know from my whiny posts in December, I was 1.5cm & 70% for two weeks, and then 3 cm & 80% on Christmas Eve, and atevery subsequent appointment.  Weset 1/9 as an induction date (my EDD was 1/6) at that appointment, but my docsaid that there was no way that I was going to last that long? in fact, shethought that I wouldn?t last until New Year?s.   Yeah? New Year?s came and went, and so did my due date,bringing us to my induction date. Our appointment was for 8am, and we got thereat about 730.  I got set up in myroom, got my IV, set up on my pitocin drip, and settled in with my mom and DHfor the miracle of childbirth?  My doc broke my water at about 11am (which totally sucked@$$... but all of my internals have been really painful, so I don?t know why Iwas surprised), and got my epi nearly immediately after that. I had beenplanning on going as naturally as I could, but after being on pitocin andhaving my water broken, I figured that the natural ship had sailed, and DAMN,do contractions hurt!  My DH and I really became a wonderful team duringlabor.  When the contractionsstarted getting really painful before the epi, he helped me so much with mybreathing.  It was if we were theonly people in the world. Ibrought a focal point with me, but all I really needed were his big sapphire eyes.  Just focusing on my husband?s eyes,while holding his hand.  I couldn?thave gotten through that pain without him. Once the epi kicked in, all was well.  I was feeling absolutely no pain ordiscomfort, and it allowed me to rest. I napped for a while, and after about 2hours, I had gone from 3 cm to 8 cm! Most productive nap ever!  By 4pm, I was ready to push.  My doc took a look after I had been pushing for a bit, andsaid that the baby?s head was transverse. My nurse talked me into using the mirror? big mistake.  It really kind of grossed me out(probably because I couldn?t feel anything) and distracted me. She tried toturn him, and had me lie on my side, I took a little nap, and I went back topushing.  The nurse and the doctorsaid that I was a champion pusher, and our nurse left due to shift change.  Another doc visit, and the little tootwas still looking at my gams instead of my pooper?that little toot!  So, after about 3 ? hours of pushing(not including the nap), we decided that, although the boy was doing fine andnot in distress, and since he just wasn?t moving down as much as he shouldhave, a c-section was our best option.  I was really upset and exhausted, and had my mom come in,and I just started sobbing and sobbing. It was really disappointing, mostly because I had worked so hard and wasso tired from all the pushing.  Theygave me my fashionable hat, draped my hubby in his light blue hospital couture,and wheeled me into surgery. Luckily, I already had my epi, so they just had to push more, and muchstronger, medicine.  They moved meonto the operating table, and I just couldn?t stop shaking.  I?m guessing that it was thecombination of hormones, excitement, and the drugs, but it did kind of freak meout.  I did feel really lonely inthere on that table, before Jason came in.  I was aware of my body below my chest, but I couldn?t moveor feel anything, except pulling, tugging, and pressure.  The nurse got the hospital-gradeweedwhacker out and shaved my lady parts? I couldn?t help thinking, ?damn? it?sbeen a while since anything like THAT has happened down there!?  Jason came into the room, clutching our baby book, so thatwe could get his little footprints put in there by the pros.  I started crying again? I wasinexplicably scared & understandably excited, and there were those big blueeyes again, my savior and focal point.   I kept hearing the doc and medical people saying things, andthen ?here he comes!? and then the most glorious sound in the world, our son?ssweet little cry.  He hollered andhollered, and to everyone in the delivery room said, ?woah!  A big boy here!?  The first thing that I said when I sawhim was, ?He has my nose!? (We have very different, but very distinctive noses,and have been wondering whose the boy would get)  He just kept hollering and hollering, but when Jason broughthim to me, and let me kiss on him, he just stopped crying and blinked thosebeautiful big eyes at me. And then the sobbing began in earnest. Sweet Charles Stewart?s stats were: both Apgar scores were9, 8lbs 15oz, 22 in long, 14 in head circumferance.  He?s a darling boy, not fussy at all.  He has jaundice, but we?re taking careof it.  My incision still hurtslike an SOB? not the recovery I expected, that?s for sure.  But every stitch, every second ofpushing that went nowhere, every bit of horribleness that was pregnancy wasmore worth it than I could ever imagine. This boy is so awesome, and steals a little bit of my heart every singleday.imageimageimage imageimage image 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: C-section due to failure to descend... 3 hrs of pushing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"