1st Trimester
Options

Delicious sandwiches... No more?

So I have been reading that lunch meats are not good? Saying they may have a bacteria and causes listeria? I absolutely LOVE subway and schlotzsky's! I know it says it should be steaming hot, but I just love cold sandwiches, they are my weakness. I have given up smoking & caffeine, but now they are taking away my sandwiches.

Has anyone else heard this? Should I just give them up, or occasionally have me a delicious sandwich?

https://www.parentsconnect.com/questions/lunchmeat_cold_cuts_pregnancy.jhtml

Re: Delicious sandwiches... No more?

• Options
    I have subway every other week. Sometimes I get it toasted sometimes I don't.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    While listeria is rare in the US, it's not worth the risk to me.  I heat it for 20 seconds.  It cools down again.

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i say go for it. subway is a large chain, so they probably will have a high turnover rate and the meat won't be just sitting around. i would only worry about cold sandwiches from someplace that wasn't that clean... i still get lunchmeat from a deli i used to work at because i know how fresh the product is, and how clean they keep everything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

sushi's the one that is killing me... and i miss carpacchio! my husband and his grandmother had it last night and i kept staring at it.

i am really trying to take these recommendations seriously, but its so hard when you know that they change all the time. i was talking to my mother the other day and she casually mentioned sending dad to the store in the middle of the night for lox, to which i replied, "YOU GOT TO HAVE LOX??!!"

apparently mr. strangely's grandmother knew she was pregnant when she craved martinis and she drank them! she has three, enormous, healthy children! there must be a happy medium somewhere :(

• Options
    imagebstrangely:

sushi's the one that is killing me... and i miss carpacchio! my husband and his grandmother had it last night and i kept staring at it.

i am really trying to take these recommendations seriously, but its so hard when you know that they change all the time. i was talking to my mother the other day and she casually mentioned sending dad to the store in the middle of the night for lox, to which i replied, "YOU GOT TO HAVE LOX??!!"

apparently mr. strangely's grandmother knew she was pregnant when she craved martinis and she drank them! she has three, enormous, healthy children! there must be a happy medium somewhere :(

I hear you! I go back to the doctor on Tuesday and I'm gonna discuss this with her.

• Options
    I eat lunchmeat and rarely heat it.
    Daisypath Christmas tickers imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Missed miscarriage 12/26/11 at 12 weeks
  • Options

my DR. was not very anti a lot...but she was VERY anti Tuna..she said once a trimester- which is like..whats the point. She also said no artificial sweeteners.

I miss tuna fish sandwiches so much- i used to have it 3 times a week. 

i did have a delicious panini today though for lunch.

• Options
    imageLadyV13:

my DR. was not very anti a lot...but she was VERY anti Tuna..she said once a trimester- which is like..whats the point. She also said no artificial sweeteners.

see i think this is so weird! my doctor just gave me this big pamphlet about fish during pregnancy, saying that it is actually healthy to have up to 2 servings a week.

• Options

Personally i wont eat the lunch meats because I don't need to create anything else for me to worry about. I'm not a big lunchmeat person anyway. But, my OB said its fine in moderation. As long as you get it from a reputable place. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'd rather have a health baby, than wonder if it was the balogne sandwich I indulged in.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagekg_08:
    imageLadyV13:

see i think this is so weird! my doctor just gave me this big pamphlet about fish during pregnancy, saying that it is actually healthy to have up to 2 servings a week.

When I was pregnant, I had tuna sandwiches every single day (sometimes twice a day) during the last month of my pregnancy. As per recommendation of my doc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imagejuliane2004:
    I'd rather have a health baby, than wonder if it was the balogne sandwich I indulged in.

Thank goodness I don't like bologna. lol, I understand what you're saying, it's just hard to cut out stuff you crave, and I crave turkey sandwiches like crazy! I need sandwich rehab, haha. It's harder than quitting smoking was!

• Options
    imagejuliane2004:
    imagekg_08:
    imageLadyV13:

When I was pregnant, I had tuna sandwiches every single day (sometimes twice a day) during the last month of my pregnancy. As per recommendation of my doc.

maybe your DR can talk some sense into my doctor haha
  • Options
    I eat and have ate deli meat throughout this pregnancy. LO is jusst fine. Like my OB said, unless you're buying deli meat unopened from some grubby guy on the street you're a-ok.
  • Options

imageZista:
    While listeria is rare in the US, it's not worth the risk to me.  I heat it for 20 seconds.  It cools down again.

I agree.  I had a Subway turkey 6" the day before BPF and I won't have another till this baby pops out.

• Options

Listeria is rare, but there are breakouts of it from time to time.  As a pregnant woman, you are more susceptible to it and are more likely to develop serious, serious complications from it.  It's not an "in moderation" type category - every time you have a cold sandwich you are taking a risk.  You could avoid sandwiches your entire pregnancy, give in and just eat one and if you get a tainted one, then you get really, really sick.  Further, I don't buy judging a book by the cover - only eating sandwiches from places that look "clean" to me is like forgoing the condom because someone looked "healthy."

So, you can probably tell which side of the debate I fall on - I'm far too risk adverse to eat unheated deli meat ~ it's only 9 months of my life.  I can live without it.

• Options
    I'm just lurking from 3rd tri but I'm almost 36 wks and noone told me to begin with no deli meat. When I was in my first tri, I was SOOO sick and smelling food cooking made it worse so I lived off of sandwiches. Homemade ones and Subway ones. I'm fine, baby is fine, I think moderation is key, but like I said, I'm okay and I totally didnt hear about the rule til like two weeks ago. lol
  • Options
    imagebstrangely:

I just read an article about the sushi deal that was posted here somewhere and it made some good points...

like do you think all pregnant women in Asia give up sushi during pregnancy? Don't think so.

According to the article, the fish that's used for sushi in America is very UNlikely to have any parasites in it because of the types of fish (again tho you have to watch where you get it from in terms of cleanliness) and most times the fish that is distributed in America is required to be flash frozen before use, which is very unfriendly to any buggers that might be in there anyway.

Now that doesn't mean I'm gonna eat some sushi, because raw fish just isn't my thing, pregnant or not, I just thought it made some valid points. But I do love me some California rolls and if it's got some caviar on it I'm not gonna freak out.

I even ate a tuna sandwich yesterday. Smile

• Options
    I've been eating subs and lunchables throughout my pregnancy. My advice is to do what you are comfortable with. I had adversions so bad in first tri that they only thing I wanted to eat was lunchables for breakfast. GL and congrats on your pregnancy!
  • Options
    imagealdyn:

Listeria is rare, but there are breakouts of it from time to time.  As a pregnant woman, you are more susceptible to it and are more likely to develop serious, serious complications from it.  It's not an "in moderation" type category - every time you have a cold sandwich you are taking a risk.  You could avoid sandwiches your entire pregnancy, give in and just eat one and if you get a tainted one, then you get really, really sick.  Further, I don't buy judging a book by the cover - only eating sandwiches from places that look "clean" to me is like forgoing the condom because someone looked "healthy."

So, you can probably tell which side of the debate I fall on - I'm far too risk adverse to eat unheated deli meat ~ it's only 9 months of my life.  I can live without it.

This. Eating a sandwich just isn't worth risking my baby's well-being.

Also - I once got terrible food poisoning from a Subway. Just saying. . . Don't assume that all chains are safe.  They are individually managed by people, who sometimes make mistakes.
    http://www.SoooBig.WordPress.com Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

The whole lunnch meat thing still baffles me...

Eat the lunchmeat.. hot or cold. If it smells funny or is slimy.. I would probably toss it.

• Options
    imageLadyV13:
    imagejuliane2004:
    imagekg_08:
    imageLadyV13:

maybe your DR can talk some sense into my doctor haha

Tuna is not recommended because of the high levels of heavy metals (specifically mercury) that it contains. Fish that have a long life span (tuna, marlin, shark, swordfish etc.) ingest more mercury over time than those with shorter lives.

Here's a great list: https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

it gives the recommended amounts to eat during pregnancy and breaks down fish into different categories according to their mercury levels.

This is one food recommendation I'll stick with! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard that too and I used to make a ham, bologna and cheese sandwich for lunch almost every day.  Not real thick, just enough to taste everything.  I only used a little mayo and it was on either 9 or 12-grain bread.  Yummy!  I miss it so much not only for the taste, but because of how easy it was to make in the mornings.  I've turned to PB&J which is also good, but just doesn't fill me up as much.  I just don't want to take the risk.  I know I can still have my cheese, but there are only so many ways to make a cheese sandwich.  They say if you heat up the meat you can eat it, but I don't like the way it tastes then (even after cooling).  Guess it's just another thing I've given up for the sake of this little "bean."
  • Options
    My doc told me to that I can eat deli meat as long as it is fully cooked.  When you buy ham and turkey from the deli it isn't rare, so it's safe to eat.  I haven't been eating sandwiches because I haven't had a taste for them, but once I do again I will have them once in a while.  It seems like every doc and every site online says something different.  I'm pretty sure there is something negative about everything we eat/do, we will drive ourselves crazy with some of this stuff.  If my doc told me it's safe, I'm not going to beat myself up over eating a bologna sandwich.
  • Options

I have been craving turkey sandwiches and my dr told me that it was perfectly OK to eat.  I didn't need to worry about heating it or anything.  This was because the listeria outbreak (that happened a long time ago) was brought on by cows, not turkey.  I would be nervous about beef deli meats, but turkey seems to be fine.

She also said that tuna once a week if it is chunk light tuna, would be ok, too....but definitely in moderation. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"