3rd Trimester
Options

Told to avoid sugar in the third tri

My midwife told me that she tells pregnant ladies in the third trimester to try and avoid the sugary/carby snacks once your baby starts gaining weight rapidly (around now). She said it's because all the junk you eat contributes to the baby's weight and you have to give birth to that baby... so it's best if they don't gain extra, extra weight from empty calories.

I'm paraphrasing... so I might not have gotten her message completely correct... but my point is - I'm finding it so hard to avoid sugar! I just want a treat so bad - every day!

Anybody else avoiding the snacks and finding it hard?

Re: Told to avoid sugar in the third tri

• Options
    I have GD so I am always avoiding sugars and starches. I did buy the Blue Bell sugar free popsicles and they are actually pretty tasty!
  • Options

I've never heard this. I would think that as long as you aren't eating JUST empty calories you're fine. :)

And I want snacks all the time too... I just can't ever figure out what snack it is I want!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I wasn't told anything like that, the only dietary recommendation I've been given is to make sure I'm getting 75 - 85 grams of protein a day.

I think avoiding junk food/fast food goes without saying, but I do cheat sometimes. I would have a really hard time cutting out sugar from my diet, my biggest craving in the 3rd tri has been juice.

• Options
    I hate to say it, but this makes me laugh. Because honestly in the past couple weeks I have eaten whatever I wanted to and have gained little to no weight at all, just because my appetite has been so small when I actually have one. The doc hasn't said anything to me about avoiding sugar or anything about LO being to big. So honestly, it really doesn't concern me. I'm pregnant and have been for 9 months now. I'm in the home stretch and I'm going to eat what I want if it makes me happy.
  • Options
    Ugh, I just bought a bag of Valentine's Gobstoppers... Maybe I'll give them to DH and tell him "only give me one after each meal!!" hehe. I'm finding it very hard to avoid candy and fruit!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I seriously can't get enough sugar lately. And I have gained so much the last few weeks. This seems to make sense to me. I'm going to have to redouble my efforts for fear of a giant baby!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well, it makes sense. 

But, I'm 32 weeks and have only gained 17 lbs., am still running, and my doctor isn't concerned about my diet/weight.  So no way am I going to cut out my daily treat.  I ate a scoop of ice cream nearly every day before I was pg and I don't plan to stop during the third trimester :)  The little guy likes ice cream just as much as I do!  Plus, I have leftover ice cream cake from my b-day that needs to be eaten, and leftover cake from my shower that needs to be eaten also!

• Options
    yeah, I still have a bunch of leftover cupcakes from my shower this past weekend and they're really yummy, so....
  • Options
    imageSunsh1ne:

Well, it makes sense. 

But, I'm 32 weeks and have only gained 17 lbs., am still running, and my doctor isn't concerned about my diet/weight.  So no way am I going to cut out my daily treat.  I ate a scoop of ice cream nearly every day before I was pg and I don't plan to stop during the third trimester :)  The little guy likes ice cream just as much as I do!  Plus, I have leftover ice cream cake from my b-day that needs to be eaten, and leftover cake from my shower that needs to be eaten also!

I'm 34 weeks and have gained 32 lbs. So maybe that's why she was telling me!  Stick out tongue  Good for you for still being able to run! I stopped around 29 weeks. Couldn't keep up anymore. I'm just walking and doing yoga occassionally now.

• Options

With #1 I gained 22lbs and he was 9 pounds. Separated my pelvis getting him out. ouch. 

This time I asked my OBs about if I had late-onset GD, and they think not since I never spilled sugar in my urine, but said it certainly would not hurt anything to limit my carbs and up my protein intake. This baby was measuring 88%ile at 22w, so maybe we just make big babies. Ugh. 

• Options

My OB has never said anything to that effect with either pregnancy. I'm measuring right on track and my weight gain seems to have slowed. With DD, I actually lost a couple of pounds right at the end and while I don't go crazy, I have never avoided sugar, fruit or sweet snacks -- in fact then, as now, I had a can of soda most days. DD was in the 50th percentile for weight at birth.

Things seem to be progressing about the same with this pregnancy, and I'm certainly not going to deprive myself if I feel like making cookies!

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options

Boo.  I'm reading this as I sit here inhaling conversation hearts, LOL.  I've been craving sugar like crazy lately. :(  I'm 38 weeks and I've gained 16 pounds, but 6 of those pounds have been in the last two weeks.  I need to stop with the sweets!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    do you know how big the baby is?  We got an estimate that ours is in the 75th percentile, and I'm trying to watch this, but it wasn't that it was recommended.  I think I eat well, but it can't hurt to cut out unnecessary junk anyway. 
  • Options
    I didn't avoid anythign in my 3rd tri w/ DD#1 and she was born at 6lbs.
  • Options

imagegypsywitch:
    I didn't avoid anythign in my 3rd tri w/ DD#1 and she was born at 6lbs.

Are you petite to begin with? Or slender? My pre-preg weight and height was 159 lbs. and 5 feet, 6 inches tall.  So I'm not really small, not really big. Which is probably why I was told I'll have a slightly larger than average baby and why I was told I should lay off the sweets a bit right now.

• Options
    I'm avoiding carbs and sweets, but for a different reason.  I had a rapid weight gain in the 2nd tri and was overweight to begin with.  Add to that a family history of pre-e, and my midwife just wanted to keep me & baby as healthy as possible, so she put me on a low-carb diet.  It worked - I haven't gained any weight since my appt at 23 weeks.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have never heard this. I would not think, unless there was a specific risk, that most people are told this...in general if you are eating a balanced diet the baby is not going to gain an unheatlhy amount in the last tri.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"