2nd Trimester
Options

bring your own delivery gown?

Are any of you planning on bringing your own delivery gown to the hospital? Or did any of you 2nd time moms bring your own with #1? I wasn't planning on it until I found this Pretty Pusher gown. It looks so comfy and I would much prefer it over the hospital gown. I'll have to call Kaiser to see if they'll let me bring my own.

https://www.babiesnbellies.com/item_1457/I-Dream-of-Sushi-Labor-Delivery-Gown.htm

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image

Re: bring your own delivery gown?

• Options
    Its a waste of money. Plus, you then have to deal with it once its gross and such. I'd rather just ruin theirs and change into something comfy of mine after labor.
  • Options
    I totally want to do this!! I saw a lady on A Baby Story who brought her own. SO much cuter, and would definitely make me feel more feminine and pretty on delivery day.  Especially for those first photos. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I saw that Pretty Pusher in one of my maternity mags last night (ok the Mai Tai one) and thought it looked pretty adorable and sounded more appealing than the regular gowns with the weird boobie slits. For $22 I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering it. Is it necessary? Probably not, but I'm still intrigued...

ETA: They're meant to be disposable so I'm not really worried about the clean-up aspect either.

• Options

Brrr...she looks cold.

Before I got pregnant I looked at all these fancy things. I realized I didn't really care to spend the money on something like that when the money could be spent on say, diapers.

• Options

imagepenelopepink09:
    I totally want to do this!! I saw a lady on A Baby Story who brought her own. SO much cuter, and would definitely make me feel more feminine and pretty on delivery day.  Especially for those first photos. :)

I don't think a gown will help with that when there is a child squeezing out of you....

• Options

all the mommies i've talked to say not to buy one of my own, just wear the hospital gown.  consensus is that it'll get ruined and you won't care what you're wearing when you're in the throws of childbirth :) 

i will, however, be investing in a nursing gown/outfit to change into when i'm able.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagepenelopepink09:

I saw that episode too! That's what made me first think about it. : ) And this one is only $25 which I think is totally worth it. The few times I have been in the hospital, I have felt even more hideous wearing their gown, so it would be worth it to me. And it looks so comfy!

• Options
    That is REALLY pretty. I would not waste it for all the nastys that come along with delivery. I am a 3rd time mom and I will go with the goffy looking thing that they give you at the hospital then change later.
  • Options
    I agree with the PP that said it was a waste of money. No matter what way you give birth, there is a lot of blood afterwards plus you are constantly getting checked. I probably went through 2-3 gowns a day. (I had a c-section) It would be cute for at home but not really practical for hospital. Also, if you have a csection you have to get up to walk the halls of the hospital. Invest in a robe.
  • Options
    imagesassafras007:

imagepenelopepink09:

I don't think a gown will help with that when there is a child squeezing out of you....

I did mean after the baby is born.

• Options

If you want something cute, invest in a cute robe to throw over the hospital gown when you walk around. That won't get nasty, and really the only time anyone will see your "cute" gown is when you are walking around.

Plus I've heard you are likely to get really cold during labor.

• Options

No wayyyyy. Sheesh, I was barely wearing my gown at all at the end anyway. I had one sort of halfway tied and another draped over me. They get all bloody and wet, you'll want the hospital just to whisk it away and give you a fresh one.

Maybe you'd like a nightgown to wear around the hospital the next day if you are having visitors or something. But still, you have to wear a fat pad. There is a lot of bleeding for several days, that continues for 6 weeks (think the heaviest period of your life). Don't wear anything that you don't want to get stained!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesturgeje:

all the mommies i've talked to say not to buy one of my own, just wear the hospital gown.  consensus is that it'll get ruined and you won't care what you're wearing when you're in the throws of childbirth :) 

i will, however, be investing in a nursing gown/outfit to change into when i'm able.

This for sure.

• Options
    I wouldn't waste the money. I wore the hospital gown and was so glad. I didn't have to take it home and clean it afterwards. Plus my L&D was so fast there was no way I would have remembered to get it out of my bag.
    Married 09*02*06
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Nothing can make you feel pretty and girly when your bleeding like crazy. Honestly, it seems like a huge waist of money to me. I changed into a new gown several times when I was in the hospital because they would get gross. I think I'd save the money and get a nice robe to wear over the gown.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepenelopepink09:

Do you really, truly think that you will look "cute" for those first photos after wearing a "pretty maternity gown" that will be covered in blood, fluids, possibly vomit and other excretions?  You do understand that with the hospital gown, there's an unlimited stash of them that nurses can use to change you out of - during delivery - to keep you comfortable and feeling less gross?

I mean, an after delivery gown sounds reasonable (though again, wouldn't spend much on them, because fluids are still around!), but I think if I were a nurse and saw a pregnant lady wearing one of these, I'd take her for an AW.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imagesturgeje:

This.... I'll use a hospital gown!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you think it will improve your delivery experience, then you should buy it.  Personally, I would save my money and put it towards a nice pair of nursing pj's or a robe.  My gown was half off during the majority of my delivery and was soaked in sweat and other body fluids by the time I was done. 
  • Options
    I don't want to pay $25 for something I am going to ruin in less than a day.  I had to change gowns once before DD was born, and then several times after.  Cute idea if you have money to blow but really not needed.  No one will care what you look like that day.  Maybe buy a cute robe to wear the day after.
  • Options

imageJamieS2006:
    imagepenelopepink09:

Do you really, truly think that you will look "cute" for those first photos after wearing a "pretty maternity gown" that will be covered in blood, fluids, possibly vomit and other excretions?  You do understand that with the hospital gown, there's an unlimited stash of them that nurses can use to change you out of - during delivery - to keep you comfortable and feeling less gross?

I mean, an after delivery gown sounds reasonable (though again, wouldn't spend much on them, because fluids are still around!), but I think if I were a nurse and saw a pregnant lady wearing one of these, I'd take her for an AW.

I'm not saying I would wear the "special" one DURING delivery.  I meant for AFTER.  And I'm pretty sure I've added this already.  Looking back at my photos from the hospital after delivering DD, I really wish I had brought something cute, yet comfy to wear in my recovery room before puting my regular clothes on. I can't tell you how hideous I felt in the stupid hospital gown that I was basically swimming in.
    Why is someone an AW just because they want to look somewhat decent when people are coming in to see her, or taking pictures of her? No one wants to look terrible in pictures, so if you say you "don't care" you're probably not telling the whole truth.

ETA: Would you also consider the women who bring make-up to the hospital to "freshen up" with after delivery to be AWs? Hmm.

• Options
    imagecrozette:

No wayyyyy. Sheesh, I was barely wearing my gown at all at the end anyway. I had one sort of halfway tied and another draped over me. They get all bloody and wet, you'll want the hospital just to whisk it away and give you a fresh one.

Maybe you'd like a nightgown to wear around the hospital the next day if you are having visitors or something. But still, you have to wear a fat pad. There is a lot of bleeding for several days, that continues for 6 weeks (think the heaviest period of your life). Don't wear anything that you don't want to get stained!

Exactly.  They keep the rooms nice and toasty, because the wet, slimy baby you're pushing out is used to a 98.6* home and can't regulate its own body temp yet.  You're sweating up a storm.  I was basically naked through all of the pushing, and some of the labor.

• Options

If you want to change into it after delivery, why not change into something you already own? Obviously thats your choice and your money, but you don't have to be in a gown the whole time. From what I've read in my books and heard from other moms, you shiver like crazy after you give birth because of hormones and such. That gown doesn't look very warm!

But, also realize that it still might be ruined after delivery because of fluids and such.

• Options
    I agree...it's cute and I might consider it if I could keep it and put it in baby's memory box BUT it is going to get pretty yucky and I don't see the point in spending $25 on a gown that's going to get thrown away.
  • Options

imagelaumholl:
    I agree...it's cute and I might consider it if I could keep it and put it in baby's memory box BUT it is going to get pretty yucky and I don't see the point in spending $25 on a gown that's going to get thrown away.

I agree.  I made such a big deal about having new pjs and a nice robe to wear after delivery.  DD came before we had a chance to buy it and I am glad we didn't because I would have ruined it.  They had me wear a second hospital gown backwards as a robe and I was comfy enough, plus they were always checking me, changing bed pads, etc. Who knew having a baby was such messy business.

• Options
    Its pretty but to me it doesn't look practical..... i'm thinking of all the moving and squirming I did .... I see a boob falling out somewhere here! lol
  • Options

Wow, there's a lot of poo-pooing going on here today. The gown is cute and if you think it'll make you feel good/better then I say go for it!

(oooh! OP post gave me an idea!...maybe I'll start sewing cute gowns like that and selling them in packs of 3 or something)

• Options
    imagepenelopepink09:

imageJamieS2006:
    imagepenelopepink09:

No one wants to look terrible in pictures, so if you say you "don't care" you're probably not telling the whole truth.

ETA: Would you also consider the women who bring make-up to the hospital to "freshen up" with after delivery to be AWs? Hmm.

First of all after I've been in labor for what will most likely feel like forever and then finally squeeze a baby out of my vag, I could care less what I'm going to look like. 

Second of all, I think it is ridiculous to bring make up. I'm going to be more concerned with getting to know my newborn baby.

I'm telling the whole truth. 

• Options
    imagepenelopepink09:

imageJamieS2006:
    imagepenelopepink09:

I'm not saying I would wear the "special" one DURING delivery.  I meant for AFTER.  And I'm pretty sure I've added this already.  Looking back at my photos from the hospital after delivering DD, I really wish I had brought something cute, yet comfy to wear in my recovery room before puting my regular clothes on. I can't tell you how hideous I felt in the stupid hospital gown that I was basically swimming in.
    Why is someone an AW just because they want to look somewhat decent when people are coming in to see her, or taking pictures of her? No one wants to look terrible in pictures, so if you say you "don't care" you're probably not telling the whole truth.

Addressing the lines in bold: No, I think I will be more concerned with relaxing and enjoying the LO I waited years for, than caring what I look like.  The hospital gown will be the last thing on my mind, as long as it's clean.  And no, I really don't care how I look in pictures.  In fact, my favorite L&D pics of people are the ones with mom's having a flushed face, sweaty tied back hair - and beaming because of their happiness (and likely that they're no longer in pain).  I wouldn't want to look back on my pics of L&D and think of how I tried trivializing it.  As for women who wear makeup - no, I don't think they're AWs.  I think when you are finally able to get out of the bed, take a shower, you should do yourself up as you see fit - but for "first photos" I think it's unnecessary.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imagepenelopepink09:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BREATHE

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

• Options
    imageJamieS2006:
    imagepenelopepink09:

imageJamieS2006:
    imagepenelopepink09:

Addressing the lines in bold: No, I think I will be more concerned with relaxing and enjoying the LO I waited years for, than caring what I look like.  The hospital gown will be the last thing on my mind, as long as it's clean.  And no, I really don't care how I look in pictures.  In fact, my favorite L&D pics of people are the ones with mom's having a flushed face, sweaty tied back hair - and beaming because of their happiness (and likely that they're no longer in pain).  I wouldn't want to look back on my pics of L&D and think of how I tried trivializing it.  As for women who wear makeup - no, I don't think they're AWs.  I think when you are finally able to get out of the bed, take a shower, you should do yourself up as you see fit - but for "first photos" I think it's unnecessary.

I do not plan on having photo's taken in the delivery room.  I'd like to preserve my privacy in the department, and will save photo time for my recovery room.  I do not plan on wearing make-up, because I never wear it anyway.  I do however plan to change into something a little nicer looking after the baby is born.  I will be spending the first few hours bonding with my baby and trying to breastfeed.  So, again, photos will be delayed until I am in recovery and able to shower and change clothes.

Good for all you ladies who don't care what you look like for photos.  I wish I had the self-esteem to not care. But I don't, and that's okay.

ETA: I also think it's pretty rude to laugh at or make fun of how ANYONE wants their hospital stay in L&D to go.  I would never do that to anyone, because it's none of my damn business.  We all have the same rights, and whatever we choose for our hospital stay is our own choice and shouldn't be "flamed" or made fun of. Just my opinion.

• Options

Ha ha... I'm loving this. I hear you all about the gore and horrific things that will/may happen to the gown. And actually, my mom mentioned that I may end up flashing people more than once in something like that so that alone may keep me from getting it.

Here's my reasoning- I've been in the hospital a few times in the last year and a half where I've had to wear their gown and even though I have obviously felt sick enough to be there, it made me feel even worse to be in that gown. I have a pixie haircut and wear glasses when I'm feeling icky, so the addition of the gown made me feel even more frumpy. I think it may be worth it for me to wear a cute gown, even if it's only for 10 hours, but that's just me. I know it will get ruined and some people think it's throwing $25 down the drain, but we all splurge on things that are worth it to us here and there and I'm thinking this may be a splurge that's worth it for me. We'll see. : )

Thanks for the input! I enjoyed reading it all! And I don't mind the poo-pooing at all. We're all entitled to our opinions, 1st and 2nd time moms. And if I get the gown and use it and find that it was a stupid decision, I'll probably give the same advice as you all the next time around!

• Options

I personally love all of my pictures that I have from in the delivery room.  Not of the delivery, but of those first moments.  I was still in the delivery room for about 2 hours after giving birth and I have some great pictures during that time.  I wouldn't put off capturing those memories for the sake of vanity. 

ETA: this was addressed to penelope, not the OP. 

• Options

Actually, I do think its a bit AWish to run in and put on make up before you allow visitors to come in. Its not necessarily bad, but a bit AWish.

I won't even pack make up.

• Options
    imageMrs.Tabigail:

I personally love all of my pictures that I have from in the delivery room.  Not of the delivery, but of those first moment.  I was still in the delivery room for about 2 hours after giving birth and I have some great pictures during that time.  I wouldn't put off capturing those memories for the sake of vanity. 

I'm vain because I want to preserve my privacy? I personally don't need photos to remember the precious first moments I had with DD, and will not need photos to remember those same moments I will have with this LO.  Labor and delivery, to me, is a very personal, and private experience that I will be sharing with DF only.  Our personal choice to have photos delayed until later is not because I am vain, it is because we believe that the birth of our child is something very intimate that we would like to keep to ourselves.

But good job with the assumptions. 

• Options
    imagepenelopepink09:
    imageMrs.Tabigail:

I personally love all of my pictures that I have from in the delivery room.  Not of the delivery, but of those first moment.  I was still in the delivery room for about 2 hours after giving birth and I have some great pictures during that time.  I wouldn't put off capturing those memories for the sake of vanity. 

I'm vain because I want to preserve my privacy? I personally don't need photos to remember the precious first moments I had with DD, and will not need photos to remember those same moments I will have with this LO.  Labor and delivery, to me, is a very personal, and private experience that I will be sharing with DF only.  Our personal choice to have photos delayed until later is not because I am vain, it is because we believe that the birth of our child is something very intimate that we would like to keep to ourselves.

We believe its private as well. But DH will still use my camera to take pictures of me with LO, and vice versa (or at least thats the plan)

• Options

I didn't care about my hair or make up but I did shower each day.  There is just so much going on and I took any down time to sleep while I could, instead of being ready.

I was okay with looking like crap.

Here is me 2 hours after she was born. Swollen face and all!

Here is me now, so it is possible to look normal again!

ETA: I find the "vain" arguments funny.  People will do whatever they want after delivery, whether it be sleep or get ready or something else. Wear your high school prom dress for all I care! lol  -- which is actually a funny picture.

• Options
    Instead of spending money on a hospital gown for after, why not just change into cute sweats and a really nice nursing top (at least you'll use those again)?   That's what I did and I felt way more comfortable.  I'm also one of those people who put makeup on after showering at the hospital.   And, my last hospital stay, I even took a blow dryer.....It felt so good:)
  • Options
    imagepenelopepink09:
    imageJamieS2006:
    imagepenelopepink09:

imageJamieS2006:
    imagepenelopepink09:

I do not plan on having photo's taken in the delivery room.  I'd like to preserve my privacy in the department, and will save photo time for my recovery room.  I do not plan on wearing make-up, because I never wear it anyway.  I do however plan to change into something a little nicer looking after the baby is born.  I will be spending the first few hours bonding with my baby and trying to breastfeed.  So, again, photos will be delayed until I am in recovery and able to shower and change clothes.

Good for all you ladies who don't care what you look like for photos.  I wish I had the self-esteem to not care. But I don't, and that's okay.

ETA: I also think it's pretty rude to laugh at or make fun of how ANYONE wants their hospital stay in L&D to go.  I would never do that to anyone, because it's none of my damn business.  We all have the same rights, and whatever we choose for our hospital stay is our own choice and shouldn't be "flamed" or made fun of. Just my opinion.

image image

• Options

I read the whole thread before looking at the link in the OP. I was stunned.  Really?  That looks COLD and kinda - I dunno - silly for the purposes of L&D.  I mean, to each her own, but...

I showed it to dh and told him, "look, they make labor gowns now" - he looked at it and just laughed.  Then he said, "there's a sucker born every minute".  I have to say I agree.

Again, if it will make you feel good, spending the $25 seems like no biggie, but I think I'd feel like the nurses and doctors were laughing at me behind my back in a halter top designer delivery gown.

• Options
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imagepenelopepink09:
    imageMrs.Tabigail:

We believe its private as well. But DH will still use my camera to take pictures of me with LO, and vice versa (or at least thats the plan)

And that's your own personal choice. I'm being flamed for what MY choice is. Not cool. I don't even wear make-up EVER, so I'm not saying I'm bringing any to L&D.  I brought that up because some women make a point to do so.  Who freakin' cares?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"