Florida Babies
Options

Grrrr... Do it yourself! (vent)

It may be the hormones but I want to kill my Hubby! We are 68 days (give or take) away from being new parents. We've been talking through birthing classes and parenting classes. He's been supportive but you could tell he felt like we had tons of time before we needed to really sit down and look at his schedule.

After talking through his schedule this weekend... today I registered for some classes knowing he wouldn't be traveling and he would be free. I picked the two classes I thought would fit us best. One that goes over the tour of the hospital, preparing for child birth, labor techniques and info on the hospital rules etc. The other class was caring for your newborn, cpr etc.

I felt like that covered a big chunk of what we needed. I'm due 3/21 and the classes are 2/20 and 2/21. Those are the first avail, so I snatched them up.

Well hubby went into a damn panic attack. "What if you go early, Don't they have some daddy boot camp stuff, I want to take every class they have... what about this and that?"

He went from feeling like we had all the time in the world and that a couple classes would do - to we need every class and we need them this week and why didn't we do this sooner???

Do first time dads normally do this kind of stuff? and is talking classes a month before I'm due ok. I've had a normal pregnancy so far, nothing to suggest preterm labor.

Grrrr..

Re: Grrrr... Do it yourself! (vent)

• Options

I took my one class at 34 weeks and delivered "early" at 38 weeks.  You'll be fine.  And remember - you're two smart adults.  You can figure anything out by asking questions of the hospital staff, friends and family or cracking open a book.  The baby will be fine - that's why they come out with such basic needs.

At least your H is showing interest.  My H barely stayed awake through our baby class and even then had no clue what was going on re: baby prep, delivery, etc.

imageimage
  • Options
    I think it is pretty normal.  The SO doesn't experience pregnancy the same way we do; you've been feeling all the changes to your body and then feeling LO move, which makes it all very real.  Maybe the child birth classes were just your DH's reality check.  At least it happened before LO was born. . .my DH was all la-de-da until my water broke and then he was a nervous wreck. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Totally normal, textbook really.  I would at least be excited that he has come around to realize this baby is coming whether he is ready or not.  I think men just have this strange ability to pretend their lives are not really going to change overnight and they have all the time in the world.  Some new dads don't get it until they first hold the baby...at least yours is now starting to get it.  Good Luck!

Also - I think the classes you signed up for are great.  They should cover all the basics.  You two will be fine and don't worry about going pre-term, not very likely given your history.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you very much! I feel better now. He's been really interersted in the pregnancy and I've been lucky. He's the guy reading the books saying stuff like "did you know the milk is going to come out of all different holes in your nipples?" right as I'm drifting off to sleep. I think it all just became real for him at the 30 week mark and now he's a little nervous.

I'm counting my blessings, I have a great partner! Just a little bumb in the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"