3rd Trimester
Options

Truth about breastfeeding?

A girl I know who had a baby two weeks ago said this to me:

"Breastfeeding. Wowzers. Buy yourself tons of Lanolin and get some cotton breast pads - I got some Kushies from Walmart. After every feed, put on the Lanolin. Breastfeeding hurts. Like a mofo. Leache League will tell you that's not true if its hurting you have a bad latch. I had a Leache League coach come to my house and she said my latch was good. So its 14 days today. It still hurts when she latches for about a minute."

I wasn't prepared for this news! I didn't think it was going to hurt that much! And should you really put lanolin cream on after every feed?

Re: Truth about breastfeeding?

• Options
    it doesn't hurt for long...it does take a couple weeks to get used to it, but your friend should start to be more comfortable soon and you will be fine!
  • Options
    My best friend told me that she cried every time she BF. She said that her nips would bleed. Tongue Tied
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I breastfed for a year with DD and I don't remember it "hurting". The first two minutes or so felt weird because of the letdown reflex but it wasn't painful.

It doesn't hurt to use Lanolin frequently. It really helps keep your nipples from drying and cracking. For the first few weeks, I probably used it after every feeding/pumping (DD was in NICU so I did both).

• Options
    Everyone has a different experience.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    YES...your nipples will eventually toughen but they're sensitive!! If you're bleeding and getting scabs..yea that means you have a bad latch. But do expect some general soreness and dryness. You can also let some milk dry on your nips to help them heal. After your BB's get used to something sucking on them every few hrs the soreness will go away and it won't be uncomfortable anymore.
  • Options

BF never hurt for me. I used lanolin if needed but very rarely. The only time it ever hurt was when DS was bigger and he bit down - that was probably around 9 months.

• Options

UGHHHH!!!

...awaiting responses as well... LOL 

• Options
    After hearing stories of cracked nipples I put lanolin on after EVERY feeding for the first week.  I'm not using it every time now, but several times a day, I've had no problems with dry/cracked nipples.  For me my nipples hurt the most the couple of days after my milk came in, now his initial latch still hurts, but only for 1-2 seconds, then it is better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but it is true.  The people who tell you it doesn't hurt if you're doing it right are either full of BS or very very lucky.  With DD#1, at the very least, letdown hurt for the first 6 weeks or so.  Advil was my best friend.  My nips never really cracked or bled much with either of the girls, but it still hurt.  That said, it was totally worth it.  By about 6 weeks, it doesn't hurt and it gets easier and easier.  So yes, it hurts, but the first 6 weeks are rough for a number of reasons (no matter if you BF or FF).  And then it's done.  FWIW - It hurt for less than 2 weeks with DD#2.  She was a total champion nurser and I had weaned DD#1 less than 8 months before she was born (right before I got my BFP with DD#2).
  • Options
    It hurts in the beginning, I didn't bleed or anything but used lanolin a few time, but not after every feeding since the nips got kinda chapped.  Also cold cabbage leaves were a Godsend! But after a couple weeks the pain goes away and it's no big deal, I promise.  Too many women give up thinking it will always hurt, but it gets to be totally pain free after those first few weeks.
  • Options
    Everyone is different, but in general, yes, it hurts.  Mine wasn't that bad and your breasts get used to it pretty quickly.  My son also was a great BFer and it still hurt.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I will have DH get my nipples ready and tough, lolSmile
  • Options
    It never hurt me at all. maybe she did have a bad latch which in turn made her sore, but when the coach was there, baby may had a good latch....but if the baby made her sore at one time, it may take a little while for her to feel better. i never used any creams or anything. our body creates the natural oils and such to keep us mositurized. it can dry out though, so then youd need cream if thats the case...
  • Options

I didn't put lanolin on after session, however it does hurt for a while.  Babies suck-hard! and your nipples aren't used to it.  So, mentally prepare yourself for it.  It's worth it!!  It will get less and less painful over time, but it does take a little bit. 

And yes, a bad latch=toe curling pain.  I found out the hard way when my DS had a terrible latch (just the nipple) for the first week.  Lactation consultants are your best friend!  It got less and less painful once he had a great latch and I learned how to position him.

A little advice from a few mommy friends of mine-after baby arrives, place him/her on your bare chest and let them find your nipple and latch on.  I have heard from numerous friends that every single time they did this, baby had a perfect latch. 

~Married my best friend J March 2004~ ~Mom to 2 busy boys~C-01.18.08 & L-03.23.10~ ~Due with a little girl 02.06.13~
  • Options

imageGaryandnicole:

LOL i wish this was an option for me... he's scared to get close to them since i started leaking hahahhaa 

• Options

imageCiarrai:
    I hate to say it, but it is true.  The people who tell you it doesn't hurt if you're doing it right are either full of BS or very very lucky.  With DD#1, at the very least, letdown hurt for the first 6 weeks or so.  Advil was my best friends.  My nips never really cracked or bled much with either of the girls, but it still hurt.  That said, it was totally worth it.  By about 6 weeks, it doesn't hurt and it gets easier and easier.  So yes, it hurts, but the first 6 weeks are rough for a number of reasons (no matter if you BF or FF).  And then it's done.  FWIW - It hurt for less than 2 weeks with DD#2.  She was a total champion nurser and I had weaned DD#1 less than 8 months before she was born (right before I got my BFP with DD#2).

I must be really really lucky because I know I'm not full of BS...LOL. I also have large breasts...maybe that matters? Probably not...but I had a good experience I guess, and breastfed DD#1 for almost 2 years.

• Options
    Yes it will hurt especially if your nipples are sensitive. BUT it only lasts for a while then you get used to it...
  • Options

I breastfed DS for 5 months and once we got the latch part figured out, I never had any pain or discomfort. Even when we were learning to latch, I never had cracked or bleeding nipples. I never used lanolin.

It really is a different experience for everyone. All you can do is do your best. But there are lot of support people out there if you continue to have problems.

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Everyone's experience is different.  It didn't hurt at all for me, and my son nursed for 15 months.  I was uncomfortable for a few days when my milk first came in - but that was an achy, full feeling, not sharp pain.  I used lanolin very occasionally, when needed.  (By the way...it stains...so be careful what it gets on...)
  • Options
    ::hoping for a good BF experience::
  • Options
    I've never had it hurt for that long but yes the first few days to a week can be sore.  And lanolin during that time is a lifesaver.  You toughen up and get used to it really fast though.  14 days later and she's still hurting?  I'd get a second opinion on her latch...
  • Options

imagecmbedd:
    it doesn't hurt for long...it does take a couple weeks to get used to it, but your friend should start to be more comfortable soon and you will be fine!

This was true for me too. 

If anything the 'pain' was from the burn of let-down more than what the baby was doing.

• Options
    I would not plan on it NOT hurting.....Here's my scoop...with my first in 2007, She latched like a champ! I mean the nurses in the hospital couldnt believe how wonderful she latched and how i didnt need to do ANYTHING or make any efforts...within 3 days i was DYING in pain and it took a few weeks of it declining to nothing. Then it was easy peasy and no pain at all. Its tolerable though and yes i bought alot of the purple bottle lanolin stuff! You will be fine. Its just sucks for awhile (LOL! NO PUN INTENDED LOL!) God that was funny, im laughing pretty hard!
  • Options

I have had no pain and no leaking. I have not needed to use breast pads or lanolin.

I let my breasts 'air dry' after a feeding, which is supposed to keep the skin from getting dry and cracked. So far so good!

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Oh, and I will say that I can tell instantly if she's only latched on to the nipple because, yes, that absolutely hurts. I'm not saying that pain only happens with a bad latch, but that's been my experience so far.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageplascenciafamily:

imageGaryandnicole:

LOL i wish this was an option for me... he's scared to get close to them since i started leaking hahahhaa 

Haha I went through this with DH too.  He apparently got a nice gulp of the leakage and freaked out....

But in terms of leakage after the baby is born, definitely get those nipple pads.  Your boobs are going to leak like crazy a few days after baby is born (at least mine did - they started the day I came home from the hospital, which was 4 days after delivery.)  The leaking was BAD... like I soaked through my t-shirt!

As far as pain goes, it doesn't hurt THAT bad.  Sure it's not the most comfortable feeling when he sucks, but I love knowing that I am doing what nature intended!!!! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It hurt, but I can't remember how long that lasted.

I never used lanolin though - my SIL suggested rubbing some expressed milk on my nipples and letting them air dry. It actually really helped to make them feel better! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Your friend is right. I remember hearing that it shouldn't hurt if you're doing it right, so it was such a comfort when I called my OB's office for suggestions, and the nurse told me, "They say it shouldn't hurt, but it does. It hurts a lot in the beginning, but eventually the soreness will go away." After about two weeks -- with quite a few tears from the pain -- I realized she was right because my nipples had finally stopped hurting. In the meantime, I alternated between rubbing lanolin and expressed milk (a tip from the nurse) on my nipples after each feeding. The engorgement when my milk first came in after about five days hurt too, but that only lasted a day or two.

Of course, sometimes soreness is a sign that baby isn't latching correctly, but that wasn't the case for us.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Options
    For me personally it was horribly painful, and the nurse said DD was latching correctly. I would have never expected it to hurt as bad as it did. I literally held my breathe everytime she would latch on. I did however stop after 8 days because my milk never came in and I mentally and physically could not do it any longer so I don't know if it gets better after a couple weeks. Good luck!
    www.guyandevashop.com
  • Options

Although I also hear it can really be uncomfortable for a bit, it can also be truly painless as the LLLs will say. I am fortunate enough to have been one of those who had no pain ever BFing. I didnt' even use Lanolin and in fact still have my tube 99% full so we use it on DD's lips when they get chapped lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"