Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Scary noise while bottle feeding?

Ugh this is starting to bother me so bad I need to know if anyone else has experienced this! Nearly every time my baby eats he makes these horrible sounds...sort of like a loud, high pitched WHOOP!...kind of hard to describe. It sounds a little gaspy as well. I wouldn't call it a choking noise, and there is no coughing involved. I don't necessarily get the impression he can't breathe, he just keeps on eating and if he keeps making the noise I take out the bottle and it stops immediately. I did mention this to the doc on his 2 week app last week and she asked a few questions but didn't really say anything about it. Since its starting to really bug me, I will probably take him in again this week, and feed him there, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed something like this? Thanks!

Re: Scary noise while bottle feeding?

• Yep, Megan does this quite often. When they're young, they have a hard time coordinating their breathing and swallowing. She's even scare herself and/or get frustrated and start crying mid-feeding. They make all sorts of scary noises that we just have to learn how to accept!
    BFP #1: 7-26-08, natural m/c 6w4d; BFP #2: 12-6-08, natural m/c 6w5d
    BFP #3: 2-26-09; DD born 10/30/09; 7lb3oz, 20.5in!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BFP= #4: 9-8-13, hcg @ 14dpo: 507, 17dpo: 1731, doubling: 39 hours
    Found a strong hb @ 5w6d; Measuring 4 days ahead, hb of 168 @ 8w4d!
    So excited for Baby Sister! EDD: 5/24/14
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My LO will make a hard breathing sound like she's trying to catch her breath when she's been gulping milk down for a few hard sucks.  I think that's probably the same thing, but I'm not sure.  She does this when I BF her and when she's taking my BM from a bottle.  From what my LC told me, newborns have a hard time eating and breathing at the same time.  So they will take several sucks and then breath a few times.  When my milk lets down, my LO goes to town for a little while then has to stop to catch her breath.  When she is bottle fed, she will do this breathing continuously since she doesn't have to wait for my milk to let down.  I don't know if this helps, but it sounds similar.
  • Loading the player...
  • From what you're describing it just sounds like swallowing.  When I saw the LC in the hospital after LO was born they told me to listen for "audible swallowing".  It sounded exactly like what you're describing.  DD also did it while bottle feeding that young too.  After a few weeks LO was better cooridinated at breathing/swallowing and it stopped. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"