Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

2 week old constipated, apple juice?

LO is two weeks old, and he has only pooped a tiny bit today, and that was a small hard ball. I think he's constipated, but I'm not sure how dangerous it can be after only one day. Obviously the doctor wasn't open today, but I could call if it's too concerning. WWYD?

Also, what's the earliest your doc recommended apple juice or some other remedy, and how much?

Re: 2 week old constipated, apple juice?

• Options

apple juice will bind the baby so u don't want to us that....u can try some prune juice...but I would say it's ok for your little one to go a few days without a bowl movement....if they seem to be experiencing pain then I would probably try the prune juice a few ounces should do the trick

May you always have in your arms the one who is in your heart.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

pregnancybr>

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Doesn't the dr. have an after hours service?  I would so call to get their advice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not give a newborn anything without talking to your doctor. I wouldnt be too concerned if its only one day. LO only poops every other day. If LO seems uncomfortable, u can do bicycle legs or take his temp rectally and that can prompt him to poop.
  • Options

imageorleyl:
    I would not give a newborn anything without talking to your doctor. I wouldnt be too concerned if its only one day. LO only poops every other day. If LO seems uncomfortable, u can do bicycle legs or take his temp rectally and that can prompt him to poop.

This.. we're having the same problem.. and we were told to try the thermometer trick with lots of vaseline.. and also glycerin suppositories, pediatric ones cut in half.. and last night, right before the ball dropped... our baby dropped a huge load!!!  After 36 hours of not pooping.. apparently if your baby is FF, it is "normal" to go once a day...

I wouldn't give any kind of juice without talking to your doc.. and yes, your baby is 2 wks old.. CALL the answering service.. they'll understand.  We called at 2 wks bc our LO's umbical stump was oozing for over a week after it fell off.  They expect new parents to call.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If your LO is not uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry.  It's normal to go up to 3 days between bowel movements.  If you do decide to do something this weekend, avoid apple juice like PP said since apple will further bind your LO up.  My DS has had serious constipation issues, and one of the things the dr told us that helps keep him regular is drinking prune juice mixed with water.  We give him 1 oz juice mixed with 1 oz water every day. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    ive heard juice, and my doc said karo syrup.
  • Options
    i wouldn't give a 2 week old anything other than formula or breastmilk. did you just start formula? it might just be a little too rough for his belly
  • Options
    What kind of formula are you on? Soy causes pebbles/clay like turds and that's what DD has to be on. And our pedi told us to use apple juice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My doc instructed me to give LO pear juice for constipation-  it works.  You can give up to one oz per day but I would call doc first!
  • Options
    Put a few drops of karo syrup in the bottle I did this when my LO was 2 weeks old and it helped, I also have started giving him juice at 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Our Pedi first recommended 2 oz water in the morning and the same in the evening for a day. If that didn't work, try baby prune juice which is a juice blend available in the baby sections in various stores, again in 2 oz incredments twice in a day. If that didn't work, to call her back. So far, the water alone has worked by the evening.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    our pedi told us to put 1/2 tsp prune juice in LO's bottle (4 oz formula) b/c of her horrible constipation. that was at 3 or 4 weeks...
  • Options
    My LO was having a problem not pooping and then it would be painful when she did go. The pedi told to give a half does of Pedilax and then a 1/2 tsp of Miralax a day in one bottle to help keep it soft and keep her going. She is finally regulated now with the formula and goes once or twice a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"