Babies: 0 - 3 Months

WWYD BF question

Ok im having a really hard time with this and I dont know what to do. For the last 3 weeks I have been EBF. I love the time with LO and feel so thankful that I have been able to breast feed.

I have a bad back from a car accident I was in 2 years ago. I was actually prescribed PT by my OB and reg. doc. while pregnant because the pain got so bad.  But a week after getting the perscriptions I was put on BR and never got to go. The leaning down so that LO can reach my boob is killing me. Even when im sitting up and have LO proped up on pillows just the act of sitting in one spot for so long hurts.

Im also having a ton of trouble recovering from L&D. I got put on 3 new meds today actually for my bladder, urethra, and UTI. The act of sitting up straight or even in a chair hurts my lady parts.

I am allowing LO to eat as long and as much as she wants but I notice that I dont look fwd. to the feedings like I used to and just pray they dont last an hour because by the end im ready to cry!I just got done with a feeding and my back is hurting so bad. Would you switch to pumping and feed LO that way or just try and suck up the pain. If it was a light pain I really would stick it out but i am legitimately in serious pain. I dont want it to effect LO's eating. I feel like a horrible mom for even asking this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD BF question

• Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time!

Have you tried nursing while lying on your side?

Whatever you decide, good luck!

• OH man . . . I'm sorry you're dealing with this, it sounds like zero fun. I am a huge fan of chiropractic care - I would seek the help of a chiro. Also it's ok to take certain pain meds while BFing - maybe look into that? Sorry you're hurting!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemommy2b08:

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time!

I have and it has actually been great! Takes care of my back and lady problems but LO has really bad allergies right now. And trying to feed her is not easy she has to practically be sitting up so laying down right now is def. not an option.

• I am so sorry for you! I am such a bfeeding enthusiast but in your case I wouldn't blame you if wanted to quit nursing him. If I was in your position and was in serious pain then I would just pump. If your in all that pain then your probablly giving off some negative energy to your LO and that's terrible for both of you.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTcarrol12:
    imagemommy2b08:

I have and it has actually been great! Takes care of my back and lady problems but LO has really bad allergies right now. And trying to feed her is not easy she has to practically be sitting up so laying down right now is def. not an option.

Why not try propping your back with pillows, leaning back, and having your LO nurse on top of you? (hard to explain, but basically her on top across your belly with her legs pointed towards your legs). That way you're comfy and she's at an incline (almost like sitting up).

• imagemommy2b08:
    imageTcarrol12:
    imagemommy2b08:

Why not try propping your back with pillows, leaning back, and having your LO nurse on top of you? (hard to explain, but basically her on top across your belly with her legs pointed towards your legs). That way you're comfy and she's at an incline (almost like sitting up).

I never considered that position. Thank you, I will try it at the next feeding.

• I have a terrible back too thanks to genetics and I had similar issues.  I had a scheduled C/S because my back's so bad and my OB didn't want to mess up the benefits of last year's PT.  I've had to start bottle feeding in addition to breast feeding because my back couldn't take EBF.  I pump at least once a day and try to BF at least 3 times a day.  The remainder of her feedings are formula and done by DH to give my back a break.  Good luck! 
    When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. - Harry, "When Harry Met Sally" Planning Bio
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Really you're not supposed to bend down to give baby breast... but I do it too! It's just easier sometimes because I don't have arm strength and it hurts my wrists to hold her up, even with pillows.

I second the other suggestions ladies have given you- just keep trying new positions. Even if you breastfed on your side you could do it at an incline. Just use lots and lots of pillows to support you. Don't feel silly for needing all of the pillows either. There will come a time when breastfeeding will become much easier on your body.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • i bet a lactation consultant or even a nurse from he hospital could help you find a great position that is comfortable for both of you. until you find a great one, i'd take breaks while feeding, to burp her and to stand up and move a little. good for the reflux and good for you!
  • I would contact your LC to see if they have a position that they can recommend for you.  If it hurts to much just pump and give your LO bottles.  IMO thier is nothing wrong with pumping.  What matters most is that your LO is receiving your milk. 
  • FWIW, most doctors say that babies can't have allergies, because they haven't been exposed to enough allergens to develop them yet. So, my guess is baby has a slight cold.

On the BFing note, all I can say is that if you decide to quit, don't feel guilty. If you are really uncomfortable/unhappy, baby can probably sense it. I second the suggestions for the LC.

• First of all, DO NOT feel like a bad mom for asking for help! You're in what sounds like a horrible amount of pain. It is so important for your LO to have a happy, healthy mom- she needs you to be at your best, or as close to that as you can be.

I would suggest BF when you can, but if you're in too much pain, or if her allergies are bad (causing her to need to sit up).. pump. She'll still be getting your milk and both of you will be a little happier.

Good luck!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"