Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

baby room across the hall-monitor?

A family friend was telling me that we really should move DS to his own room (which we were planning on doing soon anyway).  One of the reasons she mentioned was that I would sleep better because I wouldn't hear every little noise.  Well even though he is only acrossed the hall I assumed we would use our monitors - which means I'll hear every peep anyways - now I'll just need to get out of bed to see what he needs.

Does everyone use a monitor in this case or am I being paranoid?  I me if he genuinly cried I would certainly hear him w/out one - I just don't think I could leave him in his room w/out it.

Thoughts?

Re: baby room across the hall-monitor?

• Options

We use angelcare so for us its more about hte breathing thing.. yep we are THOSE people haha..

not to mention I probably need it because I sometimes sleep through her on the monitor...

ETA: I slept super crappy when she was in our room. She was a groaner and a moaner she grew out of it.. but boy was she LOUD!

• Options

I use a monitor (actually, three - audio, video and angelcare).

One night I forgot to plug the audio monitor in and it died, and I still heard him loud and clear. 

But I still feel the need to have tabs on him at all times. I keep the volume pretty low, but I always worry about his reflux and that he'll spit up and start choking and I wouldn't hear that without a monitor.

If it gives you peace of mind, definitely use one, at least for the first couple months! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD's room is right next to ours and we started out using monitor but we realized that we don't need it. I can hear her very well making any little noises.  Just try it out and see what works for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagechristin3580:

We use angelcare so for us its more about hte breathing thing.. yep we are THOSE people haha..

Me too. It gives me peace of mind and I dont hear every peep and movement.

• Options

I moved DD to her room at 4 months...and I moved with her. I sleep on her floor.

I think she is finally ready for me to move out, but she is not sleeping through the night anymore (growth spurt I guess) and I think it is easier for me to be in there. Plus, we just got out of the hospital after being there for a week and I am not ready to be away from her...

you do what you gotta do...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS is across the hall from us and we use a monitor.  However, we have an AngelCare so it's not just sound.  But, he naps in his crib too which is upstairs and I wouldn't be able to hear him if I were doing dishes, etc.  So, long story short, yes, we still use one!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    With my summer infant video monitor I can hear her clearly but I also can hear her with out it
  • Options
    We do simply because sometimes the lights wake me up before the sounds do and I can get to him before he is having a full on tantrum

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I still use one even though DS is only a few feet down the hall. At first every little noise woke me but I'm used to it now and only wake if he's crying. I know I would hear him without the monitor but it still gives me piece of mind.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We have a monitor, and DS is just across the hall as well. Ours doesn't come on (make noise, it's always on at night) unless DS actually makes noise, it won't pick him up if he just rolls over or shifts himself. He has to cry, fuss, grunt, sneeze, etc. I don't normally even notice it unless he actually starts fussing or makes prolonged noises (hiccups for example,) because it comes on for a second and goes right back to silence if he doesn't wake up (and I'm a very light sleeper.) 

I like it because while I would definitely hear him wailing without a monitor, I might not hear something like him getting stuck in the corner and whimpering. The monitor would pick it up and stay on because it's more than a brief sound, but it wouldn't be loud enough to hear across the hall.  

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagechristin3580:

We use angelcare so for us its more about the breathing thing..

This... and I am paranoid I won't hear him...

• Options

imageapeyg:
    DD's room is right next to ours and we started out using monitor but we realized that we don't need it. I can hear her very well making any little noises.  Just try it out and see what works for you.

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We moved our son to his bedroom at 6 weeks and we don't use a monitor.  His room is so close and we sleep with our doors open.  I am a very light sleeper and always here him right away.  But I couldn't sleep when I could hear every little peep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"