Parenting
Options

2 preschool questions

IYO is two half days (3 hours each day) of preschool per week "enough?"  J would be going to his dayhome two days per week as well, as I am going back to work those days. One of my friends made a comment that why was I bothering sending J for *just* two days.  She thought it wasn't enough for him to learn alot.  She commented that I should be sending him all 4 days they offer.  But I have to work those two full days he is at his dayhome.  So, sending him those 4 days isn't an option. 

When they say that they won't help them wipe in the bathroom, in your experience, has it been a strict rule? 

Thank you=)

Re: 2 preschool questions

• Options

N goes to preschool 9-11:30 on T & Th and to daycare full day on M & W.  I think he's doing just fine!  The 3yo preschool program was only 2 days anyways.

can't help you with the wiping question...I'm not sure?  I don't even know if that's a rule at school-it's never been mentioned.  

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Options

For us 2 1/2 days wasn't a good option. I would be doing a TON of driving because I would have to pick up Miles and Emilia at different times from the same school.

I think 2x is just fine. Hell MDO for us is pretty much 3 hours + nap time.

Miles school 9:30-12:30 TU/FR

Emilia MDO 9:00- 2:00 TU/FR

Also the wiping is semi strict. I know they help the kids here. Miles waits until he gets home to do his business!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My girls only went 2 half days a week for 3 y/o preschool and 3 half days a week for 4 y/o preschool.  They learned a lot.

My girls' preschool requires complete potty independence. 

• Options

I don't help wipe in kinder if that is what you are asking.  At all! But in my years of teaching kinder, I have only had one kid that couldn't wipe....and she was retained.  WAY too young. 

Luke is in pre-k and I just asked him and he said that his teacher never helps anyone wipe...oh but wait, he said that one kid NEVER goes and his teacher has to help him (he wanted me to clairfy that it is Donovan).  Yes, he is extrememly NOSEY! :)  So, who knows. :)

• Options
    Dd started the 3 year old pgrm when she was 2.9 and they did require fully trained.  They are real strict about it and I know some parents have been asked to take untrained children out. 
  • Options

DD goes 2 half days and we think it is working out great.  Next year she will go 3 half days.

Not sure on the wiping issue - DD's school doesn't require potty training.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options
    imageluluroo:

I don't help wipe in kinder if that is what you are asking.  At all! But in my years of teaching kinder, I have only had one kid that couldn't wipe....and she was retained.  WAY too young. 

Luke is in pre-k and I just asked him and he said that his teacher never helps anyone wipe...oh but wait, he said that one kid NEVER goes and his teacher has to help him (he wanted me to clairfy that it is Donovan).  Yes, he is extrememly NOSEY! :)  So, who knows. :)

LOL!  The clarification is priceless.  

• Options
    DS goes 3 days a week 2.5 hours a day and is learning TONS - I think 2 days 3 hours would be fine...mine does not offer 2 days for DS' age.  As for wiping, mine does it but I know my friend teaches in the 4yo room and will not wipe for them but will put her hand on their hand...so I doubt any teacher is going to send a kid home with a dirty butt as long as you get a good place.  Ask the question though.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

Ben started in a 2 half-day program and it was perfect for him. He was WIPED OUT at the end of those 2.5 hour classes! I really liked having MWF to do things, too, since he's pretty much exhausted after school and can't handle the stimulation of other activities.

I am trying to decide if I want Emmie in the 2-day program in the fall or the 3-day. She'll be one of the older kids in the 2-day, but there's a bigger age-span in the 3-Day class(3-4.5 y/o) and Ben is currently in that class. I really feel like the 3 year-olds have issues keeping up with the 4+ kids in the class(the older kids all came from the 2-day class, know eachother, are a little more socially savvy, etc), so I'm leaning towards the 2-day program for Em. HTH:)

Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thank you so much, girls!
  • Options

Im late but going ot chime in anyway.  I used to teach preschool for 6 yrs.  I think whatever amount YOU are comfortable with your child going to school is what matters.  I had kids 4 days a wk half days... some kids it was too much, some kids too little.  But I will tell you the number one thing for me as the teacher for these kids to 'learn' was I wanted them to be able to handle all sort of social interaction with their peers - playing together, playing alone in a group, handling the emotions of others and themselves in groups, and of course, keeping up with the expectations of the group (such as sitting at group time, working in small groups, following rules of the classroom, etc.)  To me preschool is about learning how to be in a social environment with peers - once that is established, then move onto the ABC 123 things...

That being said.. my 3 yr old will only go to preschool 2 days a week for 2 hours.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    oh and my staff and I always helped children in the bathroom, some were still learning, IMO it was part of the job.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"