Breastfeeding
Options

XP: Nipple Shield Issues -- please help!

(this is a xp from 0-3) I was given a nipple shield in the hospital by the lactation consultant because I have extremely flat nipples. Now 2 home healthcare nurses have told me I need to get off the nipple shield as soon as possible.

What are your opinions on this? Even after I pump before I feed, my nipples still don't stick out very far and DS doesn't want to latch at all. He perfers the nipple shield so I don't see the problem. He feeds like a champ, what do you think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Nipple Shield Issues -- please help!

• Options

Do what works for you.  But, I had a friend who used a shield for a long time and ended up with supply issues because when you use the sheild the baby doesn't stimulate the nipple as entirely as he/she does without it.

So, use it as long as you have to, but work on weaning him off as soon as you can. 

• Options
    I just posted about my experience, but you really should do what works for you.  I've actually also heard that they help to draw out the nipple so that down the line you can do it naturally.  I just bf my baby w/o one for the first time she was born!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi, I used a nipple shield for the first 6 weeks because of flat nipples.  It was impossible for DD to latch on without it.  Using the shield helped draw my nipples out and I also pumped after each daytime feeding, which also helped.  After using it for about 4 weeks, I started trying to latch DD on without the shield and she just wouldn't do it, she'd start to fuss and cry, and I'd just put the shield on and try again later.  Eventually, she just did it.  It was cute the first time she latched on without the shield.  She did it and then her eyes lit up like she was thinking "Oh, this isn't so bad..."  :o)  I've been EBFing for 7 months and the only times I had a slight supply issue was the one time I got a cold and when AF showed.  And the decrease wasn't that bad.  I was back to work by this time and I pump twice a day while at work and instead of getting 7 ounces each time, I only got about 6.  And it only lasted a few days.  Good luck!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

i used a shield from the time ds was a week old til now.  we've just now over the past 2-3weeks been able to nurse w/o it, but i do still use it on a daily basis. 

it has not caused any supply issues for me, and w/o it i would have stopped bfing.  so i'm quite thankful for it.  

do what works for you.  shields get a bad wrap. as long as you and your baby are having success, thats what matters.  i would use my shield as long as i have to in order to keep bfing.  you can always pump after feeding to help boost your supply.

• Options
    Use the shield as long as you need to. As our pedi told me, the breast milk is what matters, however it gets to your baby.

Also, today's shields don't affect supply like older ones did - they're thin enough that the baby still stimulates production. I used a shield for 5 weeks and actually had oversupply issues.

I will say that nursing is much simpler (and less messy) without the shield, so it's worth it to keep trying.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    don't worry too much about it!  i used the shield for the first 4 months and never had any issues, then i continued to bf full time till ds was 12 months.  if it works for you, all that matters is that dc gets the milk!  but i agree with pp, it is way less messy w/o the shield!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"