Breastfeeding
Options

finished eating?

When I first started BFing, LO would eat, eat, eat and when she was done, she would pull off and be exhausted from eating ("Milk drunk" as my MW called it).  But now we're hitting some struggles with BFing.  and she's getting really fussy at the breast.  So she pulls off before she is done, then wants to go back on and this goes on 3-4 times. 

So i guess my question is this: How do I know when she's really done?  I will offer her my nipple and sometimes she will just use it as a pacifier, but then if I go to take her off she starts to suck.  Or she may get cranky again like 5 mins after and I realize she's still hungry.

As I type this It seems like a "well no one but you knows your baby" type question.  But any advice would be great thanks!

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me. - Led Zeppelin
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
imageimage image
Chemical Pregnancy 10/5/10
BFP 2/7/11--m/c 2/12/11
TTD pics taken by knottie jen&louie :o)

Re: finished eating?

• Options

I'm having pretty much the exact same issue, i hope u get some good responses.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ah, the 2 week growth spurt! :)  I would just go with the flow for the next couple of days and see how she is and if she's still doing it once she's gotten past it.  I've mentioned on the boards before that I never even put a shirt on those couple of days and it was the only time in my whole BFing experience where I cried b/c I felt like I wasn't giving DS enough milk b/c he was eating all.day.long.  Needless to say it got better and if you just devote the next 48 hours or so to completely nursing on demand, you'll get the benefit of your body getting the signal to produce more milk for LO. 

I would probably just let LO unlatch and relatch a couple times and then take a little break unless she's really fussy (she most likely will be and this is normal).  Maybe have DH walk around with the baby for awhile while you fuel yourself up with plenty of fluids and proteins. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Here's more info and Kellymom is like the BFing Bible! https://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"