Toddlers: 24 Months+

Time to move to Plan C.

Plan A - Nursing School.  Withdrew - not for me.

Plan B - Cytotechnology.  I just changed my major to Cytotechonolgy (studying samples & detecting cancer cells, etc.).  Well, my stepMIL calls me 2 days ago to tell me that her best friend (who runs a Cyto lab at UAB) is warning me not to go into it.  She just wrote a paper on how they are changing the way they process pap smears and with the HPV vax, there will be fewer jobs in the field coming soon.  She had to let go of 2 people this year, and will keep having to do so this coming year.  :(  So there will be even fewer jobs when I get done with school.  I found out that UAB (which is where I would transfer to next fall) is even going to stop offering this major.  Fall 2010 is the last class that will be able to major in Cytotechnolgy.

*sigh*  I swear I can't win.  I have no idea what I'm going to do now.  Luckily, the classes that I'm taking this spring are just core cirriculum classes that will count toward any major.  It just stinks, though.

So, now...on to PLAN C!  Gah.  Now I'm thinking either Accounting/Finance (the safe route) or just majoring in Biology, in hopes of being able to continue in a one-year Masters program in Biotechnology after getting my Bachelor's.

ARG!  I feel like it's going to take forever to finish school now!!  With Nursing and Cyto, I would have been done with either by Summer 2011.  Now I'm not sure how long it's going to take.  DH now says that he may have to get a 2nd job if it's going to take a long time, because he doesn't want me to work while in school. 

Sorry for the long vent.  Thanks for listening and reading it this far!  Ha ha.

Re: Time to move to Plan C.

• with accounting and finance be sure you like math and loooooooove to reconcile.
  • At least you aren't sticking with something just to get done. You will figure it out and when you do I hope you will have a careeer that you love! Good luck :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs! What about teaching science :)
  • imageStacieErin:
    Hugs! What about teaching science :)
    I was going to say that but didn't want to throw something new in the mix!
  • :( That's so disappointing!

I have zero specifics, but my good friend has a master's in computer science and she does cancer research at OSU, interpreting the raw data ... blah blah blah, I don't know what I'm talking about. But I guess what I'm saying is that if you're still interested in medicine, you might consider looking at other sides of it.

If it were me, I'd probably go for a biology major. First, a pity party, then a bio major. :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awww, sorry!  I had the same issues.  But you can't really know what your "thing" is until you experience it.  Sometimes it just turns out to be something other than you thought.  I started with nursing classes, then my dad was in a really bad car accident and all the time I spent in the hospital made me realize it was NOT my thing.  I almost fainted so many times.  Then I got a degee in culinary school... same thing as your plan B- NO jobs!  Now I have $30k in student loans for nothing. At least you are still taking classes, though!  I thought about accounting too, only because I am really good at math, but how boring. lol

Good luck!  It's not easy to make a choice that you feel like you have to stick with forever.

• imagebrittneycc1982:

Awww, sorry!  I had the same issues.  But you can't really know what your "thing" is until you experience it.  Sometimes it just turns out to be something other than you thought.  I started with nursing classes, then my dad was in a really bad car accident and all the time I spent in the hospital made me realize it was NOT my thing.  I almost fainted so many times.  Then I got a degee in culinary school... same thing as your plan B- NO jobs!  Now I have $30k in student loans for nothing. At least you are still taking classes, though!  I thought about accounting too, only because I am really good at math, but how boring. lol

Good luck!  It's not easy to make a choice that you feel like you have to stick with forever.

are you calling me boring? huh????????

lol!Wink

• imageabpdjs:
    imagebrittneycc1982:

Awww, sorry!  I had the same issues.  But you can't really know what your "thing" is until you experience it.  Sometimes it just turns out to be something other than you thought.  I started with nursing classes, then my dad was in a really bad car accident and all the time I spent in the hospital made me realize it was NOT my thing.  I almost fainted so many times.  Then I got a degee in culinary school... same thing as your plan B- NO jobs!  Now I have $30k in student loans for nothing. At least you are still taking classes, though!  I thought about accounting too, only because I am really good at math, but how boring. lol

lol!Wink

I knew you were going to say that. HAHAHA... Just boring for me. : )  I need a job where I can walk around and stuff.  I can't sit.

• imagebrittneycc1982:
    imageabpdjs:
    imagebrittneycc1982:

lol!Wink

I knew you were going to say that. HAHAHA... Just boring for me. : )  I need a job where I can walk around and stuff.  I can't sit.

luckily i walk to the printer a gazillion times a day, my boss on the other hand never leaves his desk........weirdo

• I'd stick in the health field.  I understand your 'no' to nursing.  I also understand your 'no' to cytotech... 

But there are LOTS of other tech/health fields to pursue.  How about an U/S tech?  Good money and hours.  Or dental hygienist? OT/PT assistant?  Pharmacy tech?

Anyway, perhaps your situation is different in the US, but a bio degree (even a masters) doesn't get you much at all - other than a life experience.  :(     Going to a tech college of some sort - just a 1 or 2 year program - can be magical in terms of finding work, though.   Like I said, often with regular hours and a nice salary.  (A friend works in a bio lab with her MSc - $14 an hour.  But a dental hygienist makes $35-40, KWIM?)

Anyway, GL! It's hard changing your plans.  :(

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• is there an Occupational therapy program nearby?  There is not one in a two hr radius here and i wish there were.  They make great  money and have an awesome job!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"