Multiples
Options

sleeping on your back

I am still pretty early on but the only comfortable position for me to sleep in is on my back. My doc said when I was pg with DD that my body would let me know when I couldn't sleep that way anymore but this pg is different and I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom. I always start off on my side but end up on my back.

Re: sleeping on your back

• Options
    Somehow I still end up on my stomach.  I have no wisdom. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was a back sleeper too. I ended up on my back until most nights until about week 28. Now, my body definitely lets me know I can't do it. I wouldn't worry about it this early, but if you are concerned, ask your doctor. I tried putting a body pillow behind me so that if I rolled I would at least be on an angle. That seemed to work most nights.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

lately, i have actually been more comfy sleeping on my back than on my sides...definitely NOT my tummy though.

you might put a pillow under your tummy on your side and then one behind your back. it helped me from rolling over for a while but then i needed more support under my tummy. 

<3 Mommy to Markhas Aiden 10-4-06 Born at 29 weeks & Spontaneous Twins, Mackayla Grace and Braylon Deion 3-12-10 Born at 36 weeks 1 day <3 <a href="http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/sejabernathy/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg" target="_blank">PhotobucketMY B.L.O.G. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersa> Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think it may be too early to worry about it for you and I agree that your body will let you know when you can't do it anymore.  Sleeping on your back doesn't hurt the babies, it just becomes difficult on your body at some point.  I bought the snoogle about 6 weeks ago and it really helps me stay as much on my side as possible by preventing me from rolling.  However, I kind of end up in a half on the side/half on the back position up against the snoogle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    two pillows, one on each side. one under your tummy to support that weight, one right up against your back so you can roll onto it and still be on an angle. dont worry, soon nothing will be comfy :)
  • Options
    I was able to lie on my back comfortably for quite awhile, longer than you're "supposed" to. But at some point I started having a lot of pain when on my back, and started getting lightheaded after a couple minutes on my back, so my body definitely let me know.
  • Options

I was a back sleeper in the beginning of this pregnancy. Then around 18 weeks my body definitely let me know that I can't do that anymore. I ended up getting really hot and nauseous one night, then the next day at my ultrasound the same thing happened. Turns out laying on my back was lowering my blood pressure. Lesson learned for me and now I sleep on my side.

HTH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto the others.  Also, Dr. Luke's book has ideas for wedging pillows to keep you in a side laying position.  I did this when I was farther along with DD too.  This morning I woke up on my belly and I laughed that I wouldn't be able to do that much longer. 
    Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • Options
    I make a pillow fort.  I have a king sized pillow wedged behind my back, a boppy body pillow around my front and a pillow wedged under my ribs (really helps the rib pain)  I used to end up at an angle on the pillow behind me, but now when i do that i wake up because its uncomfortable.  Don't worry about how you sleep, your body will let you know what does not work.  It took me weeks to find a comfortable positioning of the pillows but I think i have it down now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have 4-5 pillows piled up behind me to sleep on and one extra to put between my legs.  I try to sleep on my side, but still end up on my back most of the time.  My girls don't like me sleeping on either side.  I get a lot of little jabs and kicks in protest! Smile

My doctor told me to sleep however is most comfortable, just not flat on my back.  I think the most important thing for you is to be well-rested.

• Options
    imagesejabernathy:

lately, i have actually been more comfy sleeping on my back than on my sides...definitely NOT my tummy though.

you might put a pillow under your tummy on your side and then one behind your back. it helped me from rolling over for a while but then i needed more support under my tummy. 

This helped me tremendously- I used to only sleep and rest on my back but now that's uncomfortable...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"