Austin Babies
Options

Potential RSV with underlying "silent reflux" :(

So, Camy had her 4 month well check on Monday which went really well. She was 16lbs 3 oz and 95% for everything (height, weight, head).. handled her shots like a rockstar, and was giggly with the dr. Couldn't have gone better. Then all 3 of us woke up with cold-like symptoms yesterday, and Camy was either eating, sleeping, or crying all. day. long. Sad. 

She is still sleeping in our bed, and last night at 130am she woke me up by thrashing around and I realized she was choking. It looked like she was holding her breath, but I think she was trying to cough and couldn't. I picked her up as quickly as I could and blowing in her face finally helped her cough, and she sounded very wheezy/squeaky. She couldn't stop coughing, and kept doing that breath-holding bit.. so we took her into the steamed up bathroom for about 15 minutes. That really helped, but as soon as we took her back into the other room, she was wheezing loudly again so we went to the ER. They examined her and did a chest xray (which came back clear) and then said it was croup... again (she had it 2 wks ago). ?? They gave her a steroid dose orally and sent us home with a prescription for more. We made an appt with our pedi this morning, and after listening to her breathe for a long time, and hearing her cough/wheeze he said croup is very low on his list (because you don't get it twice and we think that's what she had the first time, and because of her age and breathing sounds) but he thinks it could be RSV. :( He told us what to watch for and ways to make her more comfortable but I hate that there isn't anything we can really do for her unless she is having real breathing difficulties. I hate seeing her feel this way. 

He also went on to explain that she may have "silent reflux" that aggravates these symptoms, and that could be why we have been battling this ongoing congestion and bouts of coughing. 

My poor baby. I hope that either it isn't RSV, or that if it is it passes quickly and without complication. 

Any dust would be greatly appreciated. 

And can I just say - the way they take infant chest xrays SUCKS. I think what they use is like a modern day torture device, and the tech booted me out of the room because of how quickly I started crying when they were trying to put her in it. So I was standing outside the door in that heavy lead coat listening to my baby cry. Absolutely terrible. 

Re: Potential RSV with underlying "silent reflux" :(

• Options
    Boo :( I hope Camy gets better quick. Its so crazy how fast these things can show up! Lots of feel better dust headed her way along with some don't stress too much dust headed your way!
  • Options
    imageMrsRosie:
    imageMrsBeckO:

And can I just say - the way they take infant chest xrays SUCKS. I think what they use is like a modern day torture device, and the tech booted me out of the room because of how quickly I started crying when they were trying to put her in it. So I was standing outside the door in that heavy lead coat listening to my baby cry. Absolutely terrible. 

Yep, A had to be put in this thing last Saturday night.  Hope Camy is better soon and I really hope if it's RSV it's a mild case.  Do they have you doing any breathing treatments?

Nope. We are supposed to see which way she goes over the next 24 hrs.. better or worse, and let them know. The ER prescribed steroids but the pedi vetoed that idea and just wants us to keep her hydrated, keep her elevated, and run a humidifier round the clock for now unless things get worse. :( 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, I'm sorry!  The x-ray sounds like torture for both of you.  I hope she's all better very soon!!
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    oh i'm so sorry! what a rough thing to go thru for both of you! my #2 had RSV at 4 months. he was miserable ! but didn't have the choking episodes...poor camy and poor you! i hope she gets past it quickly. we also got on the neb treatments quick, and he got through it pretty quickly. i hope today/tonight is better for everyone!
  • Options
    oh no!  I'm so sorry to hear that.  Sending lots of prayers and dust your way!
  • Options
    Poor thing. Sad Lots of ***get better soon! dust*** headed y'all's way.
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Options
    Tons of dust!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am so sorry!  So scary!!!

***feel better quickly Camy dust***

• Options
    DD just had RSV and it was a simple nose swab in the pedi's office to find out if it was RSV or not. Why didn't they do this test for you? If it is RSV, then they would start antibiotics right away. And I agree, the chest xrays suck; I've had to do it for both kids.
  • Options
    aww, how she feels better soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm so sorry.  Hugs to all three of you.

• Options
    Poor baby girl! Hoping she gets better very soon.
  • Options
    oh, wow, I'm so sorry...sounds scary and awful all at the same time. Good news is that you have a doctor who is checking things out and getting her what she needs to get better. lots and lots of **baby feel/get better** dust to Camy!!
    Jennifer--
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Poor thing, hope she feels better soon!
  • Options
    OMG I'm so sorry!!  I hope she feels better ASAP! :(  Poor baby.  It sucks you've been dealing with this for a few weeks now.
  • Options
    I hope she starts feeling better soon and y'all can both get sleep tonight!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    poor baby!  lots of dust that it isn't RSV and hoping she feels better really soon.  :(
  • Options
    Poor Camy and poor, poor mommy Sad.  Loads of *~*~*~*~*~*healthy/anti-RVS dust*~*~*~*~*~*~* to you.  I hope she's better soon!
  • Options
    Oh no! I hope she starts feeling better asap. I know how scary it is....teagans episodes just like that were misdiagnosed croup as well :(
  • Options
    So sorry. I hope she feels better right away!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• Options

imageTanya1975:
    DD just had RSV and it was a simple nose swab in the pedi's office to find out if it was RSV or not. Why didn't they do this test for you? If it is RSV, then they would start antibiotics right away. And I agree, the chest xrays suck; I've had to do it for both kids.

What we were told was that RSV is a virus and therefore cannot be treated with antibiotics. If her breathing becomes more labored, they can do the neb treatments but that helps her breathing only.. doesn't treat the actual virus. If her appetite goes down and she becomes dehydrated, they can give her IV fluids, but again, that doesn't treat the virus. When we were in the pedi's office, DD was very upset and sick of being poked and prodded after spending all that time in the ER.. so the dr said we could take the watchful waiting approach unless things get worse.

Quick update: DD was up most of the night last night coughing and crying, but didn't have any more difficulty breathing. She is still coughing just as much and just as bad today, but seems to be in better spirits. Still eating like a champ, thank goodness.. so we are just trucking along hoping she gets better very soon!

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"