High-Risk Pregnancy

GD babies %-tile ?

Today we had our growth sono for my 2 vessel cord. Now with the GD they do growth sonos too. The tech told me to 'be careful' after the sono and that babies put on all their weight now so I should watch myself. I know she isn't a doc or a nurse, but our baby was only in the 52% tile at 2 pounds 8 oz at 28 weeks. Is 52 considered high for GD? or is she just giving a general warning?

Re: GD babies %-tile ?

• Good question! last scan (I was 28 weeks also) my boys were 53%-ile and 58%-ile. I figured it was good because it meant my boys were average (percentile means that they are bigger than that percentage of babies at that age). I'm in the same boat as you just finding out about GD.

BTW met with my diabetes nurse today and nutritionist and got some questions answered. I have a meter now and will be testing my fasting blood sugar and 1 hr after meals. How are you doing?

• imagethemathgirl:

Good question! last scan (I was 28 weeks also) my boys were 53%-ile and 58%-ile. I figured it was good because it meant my boys were average (percentile means that they are bigger than that percentage of babies at that age). I'm in the same boat as you just finding out about GD.

BTW met with my diabetes nurse today and nutritionist and got some questions answered. I have a meter now and will be testing my fasting blood sugar and 1 hr after meals. How are you doing?

I am glad to hear your take on it. That was what I was thinking too but her comment is bugging me!

I met with my diabetes nurse yesterday and have been doing some testing before that, but I ran out of supplies so I have to wait for insurance to approve it (frustrating!!!). The nurse said I was doing a good job with the changes I made (thank you everyone on here) and there were just a few tweaks to things (like my breakfast where I was still eating cereal) . I am lucky in that my case isn't very severe so my carb allowances are pretty easy to manage. How are yours? I am glad you got your appt! :)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm curious to se what other people say/if you hear anything else from your doctor. Like I said, I didn't question it because I didn't know I had GD yet. Who knows :) 

They are manageable. I am still in the trying to accept it stage :) Lunch numbers were within normal and I'm curious how dinner will be. I think after a few days of figuring out what to eat and when will be good. My biggest thing was I wanted more meat in the plan. She said I can if I'm still hungry which made me happy. I just don't feel comfortable not eating if I'm hungry because I feel like I'm depriving the boys :) That may be neive but I'm going to see how it goes for a while just adding some more meat as needed. I go in every week I guess for them to check my numbers - a little frustrating because it is all the way across town, but at least I'm not working right now so I have the time. How often do you have to go?

• I just got home from the doctors and we talked about this! my baby is in the 80% right now... once he hits 90% (if he does) then we will be scheduling a c/s.

She said he  IF is under 50% w/GD then they would let me take a natural course of birth --- but at this point I'm at the very least looking at scheduling an induction for my due date b/c he is over the 50% for weight.

So, no --- 52% is not bad at all! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKie310:

I just got home from the doctors and we talked about this! my baby is in the 80% right now... once he hits 90% (if he does) then we will be scheduling a c/s.

She said he  IF is under 50% w/GD then they would let me take a natural course of birth --- but at this point I'm at the very least looking at scheduling an induction for my due date b/c he is over the 50% for weight.

So, no --- 52% is not bad at all! 

Thanks! I'm going to have to ask next week at my appt and make sure my doctor is on the same page :) 

• 52% is great - you should be really happy with that because it means the baby is average size. Sounds like she was just giving you a general warning to continue to watch your sugars. Keep up the good work, your efforts to keep everything under control seem to be paying off!
  • 52nd percentile is right smack in the middle of the road, like pps said. I think as long as you continue to keep your sugars in range and count your carbs you should be fine - out of control blood sugars and the insulin response is what causes GD babies to get big.

Sounds like things are going well! :)

• at 28 weeks my baby weighed 3p 1oz. they didnt tell me a percentile.  Now at 32 weeks he weighs 4p 11 oz and in the 69%.
  • At 35 weeks my baby weighs 6 lbs even.  I have no idea what % that is...my doctor never says.  How do I find out?  Is there a chart online or something?  I know at our Big U/S she was measuring in the 95% for length.
  • imageMarried2MrWright:
    At 35 weeks my baby weighs 6 lbs even.  I have no idea what % that is...my doctor never says.  How do I find out?  Is there a chart online or something?  I know at our Big U/S she was measuring in the 95% for length.

They tell us a % each u/s after the tech does all the measurements. They are doing it for two issues I don't know if that is why they tell us? Maybe you can ask next time you go in. Aw 6 pounds! WOW! So cool.

Thanks everyone btw. I figured 52 was perfectly avg. i just wondered with her comment if it meant I was on track to be big or what. WHO KNOWS! I don't know why i get my panties in a bunch over things like this lol. I will continue to watch the sugars etc. Now if I can get my insurance to approve the strips i could be sure I am on track!!!!!!! grr! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"