Stay at Home Moms
Options

If you SAH and watch other kids..

what did you take into consideration when you made the choice to watch kids other than your own? 

My cousin called wanting to know if I'm interested in watching is almost 4 year old.  I'm not sure if I want to do it or not b/c of personal reasons, but also b/c of my fear that I'm taking attention away from my own son (sounds weird, I know). 

Anyway, I'd just like to know what you thought about before you started watching other kids.  Thanks!

Re: If you SAH and watch other kids..

• Options
    oooooh I will lurk this post.  I'm toying with the idea of taking on another child during the day.  I would do it for the money and to have a playmate for my son.  I'm curious what others who already do this have to say!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I watch a little boy a few days a week (and one other girl 1 day a week).  I thought about needing extra money, and decided this was the way to go.  I have my teaching degree, and worked at a daycare in the past, so I'm used to the chaos that is involved with having 4 kids under 3.  Its fun, but sometimes stressful.  I knew I would be home most days (we have only one vehicle, so I try to schedule things certain days of the week, plus I have NO desire to go out in winter with 3 under 3).   We have lots of toys here, plus we have a nice yard to play in (when its not FREEZING out)...... ;) 

I also considered the ages of the child(ren) I would watch.  I did not want to watch anyone (on a consistent basis) who is much older or younger than my children.  Just my preference.  

Good luck in your decision! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Worst decision I've ever made. Not saying it is for everyone though, I know it works great for some people.

I watch my cousin's 17 mo old. DD likes having a playmate, but I cannot stand this whole situation. His mother drops him off sick with no mention, he wasn't in any condition to be put in care (ie, still bottle fed to sleep and held during naps - at 13 months), I had to train him to sleep in the pnp. I can't get DD off bottles because he still has one. He doesn't eat anything other than french fries. Plus, he is the whiniest, screaming-est kid I've ever been around. Nothing stops the constant whine, trust me, I've tried.

DD absolutely loses attention with me because I have to constantly hold him or he's screaming. She also lost sleep for the few months I was getting him to sleep on a regular schedule. I can't leave the house with both of them other than for a walk in the stroller down the street. Two toddlers alone in public is just not doable. A four year old wouldn't be as bad as a toddler, but I don't know how old your child/ren is either.

I don't have the guts to bail out on it because she's family. I have major guilt telling her to take him elsewhere.  

Here's my advice for you - make sure that you have rules set ahead of time re: drop off, pick up, sick policies (for all of you - where will he go if you or dd are sick and what are the conditions on him not coming to your house), who's providing food, transportation (will you be stuck at home or no?), pay including what happens on days off for either of you.

Personally, if anyone asked me again, I'd run screaming.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I am going to be watching my niece starting in February. She will be 6 weeks old. My sister doesn't trust daycare, and I like having the opportunity to help her out. She will be paying me what she would have been paying daycare, so it will help us out financially as well.

After following some of Jenifairies situation, I am definitely going to have some ground rules though. My sister is nice, and I love her to death, but I can see her needing some guidance as to what will and will not fly. Otherwise, I will get walked on. Just how it goes, because I can not say no. If the rules are in place before hand, maybe it will work out better. 

• Options
    I am starting to watch another child starting next Monday, until May.  My friend's babysitter is on maternity leave until May, and she is a teacher, so she only needs a few months.  We need the extra income right now, and the other child is about 10 months old, so not too much younger then my daughter.  I liked that they were (almost) close in age, so they could play, and I like PP mentioned, I set some "ground rules" with my friend (pay, drop off/pick up time, days off, etc) first before we both agreed to this.  I really hope it works out, and it's nice knowing I only have to do it until May :)
  • Options
    I'm starting on Monday. I'm hoping we don't have any problems like some of the pp have stated. I think we've set some good ground rules though. It will be nice to have the extra income!
  • Options
    I watched a friend's son a few days a week for a year. He was the same age as DD. I didn't like it and wouldn't do it again. It disrupted our schedule, we couldn't get out of the house and when we finally did, it was really hard for me to watch after two toddlers. I hated when he came over sick, he didn't sleep well, and was just crazy - DD picked up some bad habits from him and it's hard to change the habits of a child whose not yours and goes home to a different set of rules or expectations. It's doable and DD loved having a playmate all day- she just loves him to pieces, but it was too stressful for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"