Working Moms
Options

XP: Starting Daycare late??

I am going to be sending Katie to a "preschool" starting next week. I use the term preschool loosely because it is just is a glorified daycare center. They call it a preschool.

She will be going there for 20 hours every week- two full days and one half day. I am hoping that this will bring her the socialization that she needs along with some educational learning we are missing. She is currently watched by my mom.

So, I know NOTHING about daycare centers or "preschools". I get my enrollement packet this afternoon as to the supplies I need to provide.

Can you please tell me how your older toddler transitioned into a daycare setting? She literally just started sleeping in her toddler bed this week, I still cut her food into chunks, she takes a paci at naptime with her lambie (can this still be done at the daycare?)

What items did you have to label? Any recommendations on labels to purchase? I would prefer a label over a sharpie marker. I read about inchbug- those are cute! What other ones are out there?

I have a meeting with the director on Monday morning again before she starts to go over any additional questions I may have. Ugh! Oh and I got Katie her first L.L. Bean toddler backpack with her intials embroidered on it. Too cute!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.

Re: XP: Starting Daycare late??

• Options

usually daycare will give you a list of what you need for that age group . .

with what I label and how I label . . I have her bag, lunch box labeled.  I leave a bag of clothes at daycare in case of accidents and that bag is labeled on the outside, but not the clothes within.  all the tupperware containers that I send to daycare are labeled both both and lids .  we use a label maker to label everything and it works well.  

DD is only 22 months and she is sleeping on a mat/sleeping bag on the floor . . i know at her facility they rub her back and make her comfortable and everything .. she isn't in a toddler bed yet and we are planning on moving her to her big girl bed at the end of Feb.  with regards to bringing the things they sleep with . our facility let's us bring those type of sleep items to daycare . . they try to keep it as close to home as possible.

with regards to transitioning . .i can't really answer that question . . DD has been going there since she was 14 weeks old .  we did have some problems with her getting used to the daycare setting and i have taken us over a year for her to get comfortable. . she used to scream when we dropped her off. . some of the things we did to get her comfortable with the surroundings, was we bought her into the room to meet the teachers and stuff prior to starting for an hour, so that she can get comfortable with the environment. 

• Options

The packet should provide you with a list of what they expect you to bring. The 1st daycare that DD went to at 8 months we had to provide everything except a crib, swing or bouncy. We had to bring all her bottles, food, clothes, bed linens. Everything. Everything had to be labeled.

Her new daycare we have to provide diapers & a change of clothes. It's is so awesome to not have to worry about bringing in anything everyday.

As for what labels to use. I ended up using my P-Touch for her bottles & sippy & a sharpie for her clothes & other cloth items.

My DD transitioned just fine. She is a rare bird though. She walks into a place & acts like she owns it right away. Some children are not so easy. Has she been to the school yet to meet everyone? If not do that when you go to see the director. This way she can see the caregivers & other kids before just droping her off.

Give them a list of anything you think they should know. Like she sleeps w/ her lambie. She gets her food cut up. (They'll do that anyway) Tell them her nickname if she has one. Anything that they should know to help her feel comfortable will help.

Than relax. I think us moms have a harder time with this stuff than they do.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"