North Carolina Babies
Options

Need a new carseat

Yep, Eli has outgrown his CONVERTIBLE carseat.  I didn't think this would happen so soon.  I really thought convertible seats would last until they were ready for a booster.  But he has outgrown the Graco ComfortSport in DH's car.  It's rated up to 40 lb, but says not to use once their shoulders are past the top harness slot and he's over by about 2 inches.  His head's not above the top, but the harness is supposed to be above his shoulders and it's not, by far.

And, I'm thinking he's probably outgrown the Evenflo Titan we have in MIL's car for the same reason.  He's not a big kid, but I guess tall enough to outgrow these smaller shelled seats.  What a waste of money!!! 

So now I'm looking for inexpensive seats for both MIL and DH's cars.  We have the Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX in my car, and he fits just fine in that.  But I was hoping to find something even less expensive for their cars.  Does that even exist?  The cheaper seats have the smaller shells it seems.  Ugh!!!  Who would have thought a 2 year old would outgrow a convertible seat already.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Anyone got any recs?  I know someone posted a link to a good article about good seats last week, but I can't find it now.  I know which seats rate well, but this shell thing is our problem, and the ratings don't really address that issue. 

Not exactly what we planned on doing with our Christmas money :(

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Need a new carseat

• Options
    I don't know what to tell you about the cost part...we ended up going with a Britax Marathon because we figured our kid would be taller than the average bear.  & I think most of the Britax ones hold at least 3 more inches than the Evenflo, IIRC.
  • Options
    I don't have any recs, but holy cow that sucks!!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have three of the Alpha -Omega Elite conv. seats (my car, DH & MIL) and have been happy with it. The straps get twisted but it's not that big of a deal to fix. I think mine was around $160??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow, that really stinks!  I don't have any suggestions, but keep your eye out at Target.  I got a really good deal on a First Years True Fit a couple of weeks ago and I noticed Sat night at Target that they are clearancing out tons of stuff.  You might want to check and see if any carseats are on clearance.  I'll take a look the next time I go in Kville.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options

imageWendyNC:
    Wow, that really stinks!  I don't have any suggestions, but keep your eye out at Target.  I got a really good deal on a First Years True Fit a couple of weeks ago and I noticed Sat night at Target that they are clearancing out tons of stuff.  You might want to check and see if any carseats are on clearance.  I'll take a look the next time I go in Kville.

That's one of the seats on my list, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for them.  Maybe I'll run by there after work today.  I've found one online for $150 shipped, so far that's my best deal.  Too bad I missed them on woot awhile back!  Thanks for looking for me :)

It looks like we'll either get that one or the Graco My Ride 65.  But the True Fit has the sliding harness which is one of the features I love about my Evenflo Triumph, but it only goes up to 50 lb and I'm getting the biggest seat I can this time!  Fingers crossed mine lasts long enough and I'm not replacing it in another year.  Why is this kid so tall???

• Options

is he FFing or RFing? if he's already FFing, i'd totally get him the graco nautilus! we got one for DH's car and i really like it.

we do still have the triumph RFing in my car, but DH has a GTO, and it's impossible to get henry in his seat RFing, so he's FFing in there.

the nautilus is a FFing carseat, a high-back booster and a regular booster. it's around $150, but it'll last him til he's out of any type of carseat. it harnesses to 65 lbs.

ETA: if you get the nautilus, get it on amazon. free shipping and no tax.

• Options
    Ouch! I have no advice bc like you I figured this would last us! Let me know what you find....we may end up getting a 2nd too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekateland3:

is he FFing or RFing? if he's already FFing, i'd totally get him the graco nautilus! we got one for DH's car and i really like it.

we do still have the triumph RFing in my car, but DH has a GTO, and it's impossible to get henry in his seat RFing, so he's FFing in there.

the nautilus is a FFing carseat, a high-back booster and a regular booster. it's around $150, but it'll last him til he's out of any type of carseat. it harnesses to 65 lbs.

He's FF.  Thanks for all the recs!  Maybe my troubles will heed warning to someone else in the future.

• Options
    Just out of curiousity, how tall is he? My MIL has a ComfortSport for her occasional usage. At 18 months my DS is 34.25"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageCarolinaDaisy:
    Just out of curiousity, how tall is he? My MIL has a ComfortSport for her occasional usage. At 18 months my DS is 34.25"

I bet he has outgrown it.  DS is at least 34".  He was 34" at his 18 month appt, but I haven't measured him since.  It depends on where their height is though.  His head still fits below the top of the seat.  But his shoulders are above the top harness slot.  According to the manual they are supposed to be below or level to the top of the harness.  You might want to double check her seat. 

• Options
    imagekateland3:

We have the nautilus too for the girls and LOVE it!  The harness comes out so it can be a booster with the regular seatbelt when they're ready for that.  Then the back comes off and it is the final step they'll need before they are ready for just the normal seat.  We won't have to buy them another one and I'm so excited about about that.  They were a bit more expensive then I wanted to go when we had to get them something after the Evenflo Triumph, but knowing we won't have to buy anything else made it a little easier to swallow. 

• Options
    imagemrsmikey:

imageCarolinaDaisy:

I bet he has outgrown it.  DS is at least 34".  He was 34" at his 18 month appt, but I haven't measured him since.  It depends on where their height is though.  His head still fits below the top of the seat.  But his shoulders are above the top harness slot.  According to the manual they are supposed to be below or level to the top of the harness.  You might want to double check her seat. 

Wow, that is just crazy that they could outgrow a convertible seat at 34" tall - Liam is the same height, and most of his height is in his torso too.  This post makes me extra glad we went with a larger seat, fortunately he's always been really tall so I guessed big on the seat.

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"