Blended Families
Options

Vent: BM won't take SD to the doctor

SD had a really loose tooth.  It was holding on by a thread so one night she decided to pull it.  According to BM it bled a ridiculous amount and soaked 2 full papertowels.  The next morning SD started to feel funny and she said everything went black and she could only see red spots.  She passed out. 

BM refuses to take her to the doctor. She says she is fine.  Oh yeah, SD is SEVEN years old.  How many 7 year olds pass out??  I don't know of any unless there is something wrong.  Maybe I'm being a little too cautious but I would've at least called the doctor.  DH is peeved about it.

Re: Vent: BM won't take SD to the doctor

• Options

Can your DH take her? I'm not sure how far you live from one another. My SS's live out of state from us but when we had them over the summer in 2008, we took them to the Dr because they had several complaints that BM hadn't addressed or taken them in for. If your DH can't take her, I think he needs to send an email to BM (so there's proof in writing) that he's concerned about their daughter because of A,B& C (list the things that SD said to you about bleeding, being dizzy, passing out, etc.

If BM writes back and says no, she isn't taking her to the Dr,, I think there should then be a way that your DH can get in touch with someone and require that your SD be taken to a Dr if he's not close enough to do it himself.

• Options
    We actually do not live far from her so that would be a possibility.  We have her this coming weekend so maybe we'll try to get a Friday evening appointment.  I just can't believe how unconcerned she is.  That just seems so abnormal to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You're going to wait until friday evening why? Because she hasn't hit her head yet??

Shiit! Tell mr man to get his ass on the phone and get her first appointment possible then take his happy ass over there and pick her up. If mom objects tell her to call her damn lawyer and see what they have to say about it.

ETA: At minimum, he should call the kid's doctor, explain the symptoms and see what the doctor recommends. If it's an appointment, make it. Call up mom and ask her to take the kid. If she says no, he tells her to have the child ready for him to pick up.

Click me, click me!
  • Options
    What Hind said.  She needs to be checked out now...Not in 4 days.
  • Options
    Good point.  I'll suggest that to DH. 
  • Options
    I think you're already a little too late, but she should go right way anyway. 
  • Options

I would definitely call the doctor and ask them if your SD should be seen, etc.

Is there any chance that your SD is blowing this out of proportion and thats why the BM is being kind of lax about it? Just wondering... I cant imagine being a mom and not caring about my childs health!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Uhh yeah. If you all live close enough, he shouldn't have waited. The second she disagreed on taking her to the Dr,, your DH should have said "well, I'm her dad and I think she needs to go so I'll be picking her up at such and such time" - he actually should have picked her up right then and gone to the ER just to be safe (if he couldn't get to the Dr ASAP) a child blacking out from possible blood loss, etc is nothing to fool around with.
  • Options
    imageJ+R:

Is there any chance that your SD is blowing this out of proportion and thats why the BM is being kind of lax about it? Just wondering... I cant imagine being a mom and not caring about my childs health!

This.  I know SD used to tell us things that were really crazy, and when you started questioning her, suddenly isn't wasn't exactly the way she first made it sound. 

• Options
    imageSarieP:

SD had a really loose tooth.  It was holding on by a thread so one night she decided to pull it.  According to BM it bled a ridiculous amount and soaked 2 full papertowels.  The next morning SD started to feel funny and she said everything went black and she could only see red spots.  She passed out. 

BM refuses to take her to the doctor. She says she is fine.  Oh yeah, SD is SEVEN years old.  How many 7 year olds pass out??  I don't know of any unless there is something wrong.  Maybe I'm being a little too cautious but I would've at least called the doctor.  DH is peeved about it.

Even though head/mouth wounds can bleed quite a bit, if the BM is saying she bled enough to SOAK 2 paper towels completely, something sounds wrong. Either BM is exaggerating OR your SD does seriously need to see a Dr.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"