3rd Trimester

How long do babies use swings, bouncers etc?

I'm trying to decide if I really need these items..my friends say their babies only used them for the first few months.

Re: How long do babies use swings, bouncers etc?

• I would say you'll probably find yourself wanting at least one or the other. You can find good deals at second hand shops.
  • We have a small house, so we got a swing that doubles as a bouncer.  My DD used the swing for 5 or so months and the bouncer about the same.  She used it quite a bit actually.  Other than holding her, sleeping, or doing tummy time, it was where we would place her.
    Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know from experience but I've heard from my friends with babies that the swings were miracle workers in the first few months if they wanted to get anything done. It's worth the money to me. If you're short on funds you might wanna skip a bouncer and just get a swing.
  • my 7month old nephew still uses all his stuff... i have no idea
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would definitely get a swing! Even if it is for a few months, your sanity is worth it!
  • I would have at least one on hand. It's nice to ahve a variety of places for baby to lay/sit. Both of my boys used their bouncers for about six months and my oldest used the swing until well over a year. He was in it a lot during the first seven-eight months, and then we put it away. We got it back out for our second son, who hated the swing, and our oldest went right back to it. His big ol' behind would get in it every night before bed and swing for 20-30 minutes. It calmed him down right before bed, so it was nice.
  • My DD used her swing for about 5 months, she never liked the bouncy chair preferring the Bumbo seat instead.
  • imagecma1989:
    I don't know from experience but I've heard from my friends with babies that the swings were miracle workers in the first few months if they wanted to get anything done. It's worth the money to me. If you're short on funds you might wanna skip a bouncer and just get a swing.

The swing was a god sent for my dd. I would have married the inventor of the swing or at least given him great head. It was one of the only things that was pacify my cranky baby. The bouncer wasn't needed, I think it depends on the child.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD was never a big fan of the swing and by six months she could crawl out of it. However, some people swear by them. . .

We never had a bouncer with DD, but since we have limited space and limited funds I opted to buy an infant-to-toddler rocker this time around.   It starts out as a bouncer and can transition into a small rocking chair for toddlers up to 35lbs.  some of them also fold up, so they are easy to carry around the house/bring with you.  DD already loves it. . .and I used it a lot with my nieces when they were little (between 6 weeks and 4 months.  I'm just not sure how well it works once they are mobile, but before they understand that if they move too much they'll fall out. . .

• Swing till he weighted out of it... seriously he LOVED it! bouncy chair was till he crawling id say....

But if you ask him... now that they are majically reappearing he wants to use them again-tries to climb in the swing...

I think it depends on the baby but Get a chair that vibrates! OMG they it kept me sane.

• Both my kids had a tolerance for a swing for about 15 minutes tops, that said, those were the most valuable 15 minutes I could get. If you're worried about space, a great option is a travel swing (it does the same job, takes up little space and is great to bring with you when you when needed.)  I also used a doorway bouncer (attaches to the door frame, can be put away easily, and takes up little space).  That thing was a hit with both kids and I think I may remained interested for a good 25 minutes.  We retired the doorway bouncer when they hit the weight limit, so that one was great.  The swing only was only used until about 6mo I believe.  Bouncy seats are great too because it gives you a place for them to sit and be entertained.  I found the more they had to do the better.  No one item kept them entertained for an extremely long time, so it worked well for me to have "stations" of activities.  

• DD hated the swing so that didnt last long;  she was in her bouncy chair until she could sit up on her own.  The thing she loved the most/got the most use of was her jumperoo and her exersaucer--every baby is different tho
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageecoppins:

imagecma1989:
    I don't know from experience but I've heard from my friends with babies that the swings were miracle workers in the first few months if they wanted to get anything done. It's worth the money to me. If you're short on funds you might wanna skip a bouncer and just get a swing.

The swing was a god sent for my dd. I would have married the inventor of the swing or at least given him great head. It was one of the only things that was pacify my cranky baby. The bouncer wasn't needed, I think it depends on the child.

This made me LOL

From our WDW vacation- June 3, 2014

DS- Wesley- March 14, 2010
    DD- Norah- September 27, 2012

• Gosh we used the swing for a while I know she was 8 months and still in it from time to time. Then she started trying to flip over in it and swing backwards so we put it away. Although she didn't bounce in the bouncer we used it as a chair for her. We got good use out of both though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"