Parenting after 35

anyone here deliver after age 40?

We are having the "should we have a second" debate. I am 42. (eek how did that happen?)  Long story short - I had 2 m/c before DS was born. Am able to get pg very easy. They finally figured out that i might have a clotting issue and daily shots in my stomahc might help that so I would probably have to do that again which wasn't fun. In addition to that I had a really rough pg (too long of a story) Anyway, my biggest worry is if the baby would be healthy. Anyone here deliver in their 40's. Just would love some opinions and advice. Thanks.

Re: anyone here deliver after age 40?

• I had my first at 40, but I would really like another. So there is a good chance IF that happens I'll probably be 42. It's not too old if you are a healthy person.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I delivered M at 39 but I would like to have another one and we will probably start TTC at the end of next year. Iwould be 40 when/if I got pg and 41 (just turned) when I delivered. I don't think its too old if you are healthy. The genetic risks are somewhat scary IMO, but I am just praying everything will be OK.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  •   I was 41 and agree with the other ladies that if you are healthy, go for it! Talk to your OB about the risks and your health issues and best of luck!
  • I just delivered at 40. I have a history if miscarriage and have clotting disorder as well which required Lovenox shots in the belly up until last week.

I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your OB/GYN. I, like you, have no problem getting pregnant. Staying pregnant is a different story.

Good luck! 

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 41 at delivery!

I had a 2-vessel cord, vasa previa (don't google this, it's scary and extremely rare) and little Margaux has vsd.  Still, I would do it again in a heartbeat, and probably will once 6 months passes.  :)

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I had both of my kids after age 40.  I got pregnant with DS #1 at 40, delivered at 41.  Got pregnant with DS #2 at 42 and delivered at 43.  I had a wonderful pregnancy with both boys.......lots of monitoring from the doc with the 2nd one, but for proactive reasons due to age and not because of problems with the pregnancy.  We did the early screen and got great results.
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • I delivered at 42 and we are still talking about another one, I would be 44. I had absolutely no problems except my bp went way up suddenly in week 34 and we delivered in week 35. She was fine and the doc said it could have happened if I was 30 too. We did see a high risk ob in addition to our reg one due to the age.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"