D.C. Area Babies

Eczema

We discovered DD had eczema at two months and it seems to be getting worst.  DH and I are trying to figure out if it's the formula.  She takes Enfamil Gentlease.  We've been using Aquaphor ointment on her entire body and face and bathe her in lukewarm water at least 3 times a week.  It's mostly irritated on her cheeks but has spread to her legs and arms. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what worked for them?

TIA!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eczema

• ask SBMBride on the preemie board.  She is sometimes on this board, but not always.  her son has eczema and she finally found a regimin that keeps the eczema under control.
  • My friend's daughter has a history of eczema and she said this stuff is really good in lieu of soap

https://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=151538&catid=27029

My son has only had it a couple of times and we were able to treat it with Aquaphor, so we haven't had to try it.

• Loading the player...
  • DD had really bad eczema, we had to see an allergist. I e-BFed and had to go on an elimination diet, including removing all cow milk dairy from my diet. We had to give her a 15-20 min bath every night to soak her body, to moisturize her skin. Right after the bath, we'd lather her up with Acquphor to lock in the moisture.

Allergist prescribed Atopiclair, which was a tremendous help, it is a somewhat new creme but is not medicinal, i.e.: there are no drugs in it but it is prescription only.

We use California baby for baths, it's chemical- and fragrance-free. All her diapers are fragrance-free. She wears only cotton next to her skin.

• DS gets it under his chin and on his neck, mainly from all the drool (even though we CONSTANTLY put dry bibs on him!).  Our pediatrician had us get some hydrocortizone for when it bets bad and that clears it up pretty quickly. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemek10976:
    ask SBMBride on the preemie board.  She is sometimes on this board, but not always.  her son has eczema and she finally found a regimin that keeps the eczema under control.

Here I am! My DS has terrible eczema. It was to the point he was having perpetual skin infections from scratching so much and introducing bacteria into the skin. Here's what we do:

Use EpiCeram (non-steroidal Rx cream) on problem areas at every diaper change (you need to get this from a dermatologist).

1.25ml of Evening Primrose Oil in his morning bottle (herbal remedy for skin conditions).

10 minute bath every night, then lather with Aquaphor.

Non-fragrance everything (bath stuff, lotion and wipes).

If he starts flaring up, 2 days of hydrocortisone on the problem area.

Since we've been doing this, he hasn't had a flare up. It was really a life saver.

• Thanks so much everyone!  DD has her 4 month well check tomorrow and I'll be curious to hear what the Dr. says about her eczema.
  • DD had horrible infectious eczema.  Switching to hypoallergenic formula (Alimentum) cleared up 95% of it, but we still fight residual eczema. 

We have tried at least a dozen creams and ointments - prescription and non.  Hands down California Baby Calendula cream rocks.  Occasionally for bad breakout spots, we also use a fluticasone proprionate cream prescribed by her allergist - it's non-steroidal.

• DD had her 4 month well check today and the Dr recommended hydrocortizone and if that doesn't work he'll write us a prescription.  He mentioned using Aveeno baby wash, well everything should be fragrance free.  I had been using Johnson & Johnson sleep better baby wash.  Also, we're switching to Soy, hopefully that will work.  The Dr warned that Similac Alimentum would give baby a stinky odor because its hypoallergenic, never heard that one.  If Soy doesn't work, Alimentum it is and we'll have a stinky baby! Tongue Tied
  • imagearacely523:
    DD had her 4 month well check today and the Dr recommended hydrocortizone and if that doesn't work he'll write us a prescription.  He mentioned using Aveeno baby wash, well everything should be fragrance free.  I had been using Johnson & Johnson sleep better baby wash.  Also, we're switching to Soy, hopefully that will work.  The Dr warned that Similac Alimentum would give baby a stinky odor because its hypoallergenic, never heard that one.  If Soy doesn't work, Alimentum it is and we'll have a stinky baby! Tongue Tied

Hydrocortisone is a steroid plus can thin the skin so it's not a long-term solution if the eczema is persistent.  For the bath, limiting the use of any wash (i.e. use luke warm water) is generally better - most babies aren't that dirty.  Regardless, you need to moisurize immediately after the bath or the skin will dry out as the water evaporates from the skin.

Alimentum itself smells certainly, but it's ridiculous to say the baby smells.  Many babies who are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy, plus there are studies calling in to question the use of soy for children. 

• i went out and bought some Aquaphor today, DD has been having similiar problems. Thanks for all of the advice! and aracely523, let me know if what the doc prescribed works, we have our appt on Monday.
  • imagebarkers4jmm:

imagearacely523:
    DD had her 4 month well check today and the Dr recommended hydrocortizone and if that doesn't work he'll write us a prescription.  He mentioned using Aveeno baby wash, well everything should be fragrance free.  I had been using Johnson & Johnson sleep better baby wash.  Also, we're switching to Soy, hopefully that will work.  The Dr warned that Similac Alimentum would give baby a stinky odor because its hypoallergenic, never heard that one.  If Soy doesn't work, Alimentum it is and we'll have a stinky baby! Tongue Tied

Hydrocortisone is a steroid plus can thin the skin so it's not a long-term solution if the eczema is persistent.  For the bath, limiting the use of any wash (i.e. use luke warm water) is generally better - most babies aren't that dirty.  Regardless, you need to moisurize immediately after the bath or the skin will dry out as the water evaporates from the skin.

Alimentum itself smells certainly, but it's ridiculous to say the baby smells.  Many babies who are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy, plus there are studies calling in to question the use of soy for children. 

I have to agree with barkers. Try to limit the use of steroid cremes, especially on a baby girl.  At your DD's age, you should only need to use any kind of body wash once a week, the rest of the time, just water is fine, except maybe on the butt - I did always use soap/wash there. Otherwise, it was just water, mostly to moisturize, not to wash, at 4mo old she is not that dirty:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"