Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

What Pedi said about Jumperoo...

So at DD's 4 month appt. I was talking to our Pedi about the fact that I really think DD was going to be ready for her Exersaucer soon and that we put a Jumperoo on DD's Christmas wishlist.  His response was that the ages on the box should only be guidelines.  He said that I should wait till 5-6 months for the Exersaucer and he recommends NEVER using a Jumperoo or Jumper of any kind because they can cause hip problems and that a lot of LO's have problems with becoming toe-walkers and have a really hard time learning how to walk properly. 

I've never heard this before and was wondering if it is only my Pedi??  He said that if I absolutely want to use a Jumperoo and that I am aware of the risks that he wouldn't recommend using it until she is 9 months.  DD has excellent head control but is on the small side at 11.4 lbs at 4 months.  What are your thoughts.  Thanks in advance :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What Pedi said about Jumperoo...

• Options
    Hmmm, that's actually quite interesting. I've never heard of that.   Wait until LO is 9 months?  DS has already outgrown his Jumperoo...
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've heard this too. My mom bought DD a johnny jump up thing for xmas and already gave it to her. I figure if she's not in it very long and only like once a day it can't hurt. We all (there's 4 kids in my family) used them and we're fine. I think Dr's are just more cautious about everything now. But really, I figure if we turned out fine then it can't really hurt. Just don't leave LO in one all day.

PS- My DD was 11.9 at her 4 mths. Sounds like we both got lil girls.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't asked our pedi about the Jumperoo...and I don't plan to.  I'm sure my pedi would say that same thing as yours.  I've heard of other people on here say the same thing. 

My opinion:  everything in moderation.  DS only goes in the Jumperoo once a day - if that (30 minutes max).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I call bullshiit on the jumperoo.  My pedi has NEVER said anything about it.  B is in the jumperoo as we speak.  The jumperoo saves my life sometimes although he is 21 pounds 12 oz. I will have to retire it this week so we will move to the Johnny Jump Up?  I suppose that is going to make him a toe walker too?  LOL.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We used it with DS and we just pulled it our for DD and she is 5 months. We never had DS in it for more than 15 minutes at a time and he had no issues with walking. I can imagine there being issues if the baby was in it all the time but I can't see how it could harm if used only occasionally.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options
    I asked my pedi (both of them!) about the jumperoo and they both said it was fine as long as they aren't in there all day long.
  • Options
    I've heard of this, but I think it's kind of silly. I mean, you're not going to leave them in there all day! My older son was pretty much too big before he got the hang of jumping, but he liked the exersaucer. He has no problems. But again, I didn't leave him in there for long periods of time.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your replies.  I guess the Pedi just kinda freaked me out a little bit.  B/C DD is so small I may wait another week or two and then try out the Exersaucer and if she gets the Jumperoo for X-mas I will use that too, I just thought it was weird that I never heard that stuff before...
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I develop baby toys for a living - the AAP does not recommend Jumaroos for this reason.  Exersaucers are not recommended either.
  • Options

In moderation things are ok.

i do have a story to share though- 

A co worker of dh was neglected as a child and left in a johnny jump up all day long, even to be fed, sleep and just let cry. He didn't end up  walking until 3 years when he was taken out of the home, and never crawled . He still has alot of hand eye coordination issues, not having any floor time, crawling, or toys when he was younger.

But that is only the extreme. 

My beautiful redhead Lily Anne (3.5yrs)
  • Options
    imagemandolynn81:

In moderation things are ok.

i do have a story to share though- 

A co worker of dh was neglected as a child and left in a johnny jump up all day long, even to be fed, sleep and just let cry. He didn't end up  walking until 3 years when he was taken out of the home, and never crawled . He still has alot of hand eye coordination issues, not having any floor time, crawling, or toys when he was younger.

But that is only the extreme. 

OMG! Indifferent  THat's horrible.  B spends alot of time in the jumperoo and the johnny jump up but I don't let him sit in it ALL.DAY.LONG.  We have floor time too.  He recently just rolled back to belly so I don't think the jumperoo is an issue .. JMHO.

• Options
    I'm an OT and yes, what your pedi said about development is correct.  Jumpers, exersaucers, and Bumbos can cause incorrect development of the muscles, bones, joints, etc.  With that being said, DS is getting a jumperoo for Christmas.  He will not be in it more than 15 minutes per day though. 
  • Options

imagegizmo909:
    I'm an OT and yes, what your pedi said about development is correct.  Jumpers, exersaucers, and Bumbos can cause incorrect development of the muscles, bones, joints, etc.  With that being said, DS is getting a jumperoo for Christmas.  He will not be in it more than 15 minutes per day though. 

Our son's physical therapist for torticollis said this same thing.  I asked his pedi at his 4 month appt & the pedi said that the jumperoo, bumbo, etc are fine in moderation.   

• Options
    The drs. in the NICU told us not to use a jumperoo or an exersaucer or anything where LO's legs hang like that.  They said the same thing your pedi did--it's bad for their hips and can cause problems walking.  That being said, K has a jumperoo that she loves.  I limit her time in there and she's not in it everyday, but it's kinda nice to be able to put her in there for 15 min. while I start dinner, shower, eat, etc.  
  • Options

imageNKufferman:
    I develop baby toys for a living - the AAP does not recommend Jumaroos for this reason.  Exersaucers are not recommended either.

are parents/sitters now a days leave the babies longer than 15 yrs ago. i miss the walkers... the circle thing we use to sit on as a child to learn how to walk from one room to another.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Fifteen years ago everyone used them as a baby sitter.  Let's face it for decades we've had contraptions for this - play pens - videos etc... I mean really mom needs to take a shower every now and then!  Today many people leave children in them for more than 15 minutes -  the if you must recommended time limit by experts.  AAP doesn't recommend walkers (although you can still buy them) because they're on wheels.  Children have gone down stairs in them etc.  They're also not great for proper hip development.  With this being said - if you have a one level house or apartment and use one in moderation and always supervise while the baby is in it - I'd think it would be OK. 

Honestly I don't have any of them, but it's primarily because I can't stand having giant plastic things in the house - they take up so much room.  We just have a bouncer, mini swing (same footprint as the bouncer) and both soft and plastic play mats.  DD didn't like them when she was a newborn.  She just started enjoying them 2 months ago.  We're going to stick with them and playing together with other toys.   We also have a bumbo, but we don't use it that often - maybe once a week for 5 minutes.  We play games together like bouncing on the knee horsey and sing songs and read books.  We also practice rolling.  She's afraid to roll from stomach to back - started doing it - scared herself and now refuses to try.

• Options
    I wonder if part of it is the fact that, b/c the box says 4+ months, people stick their baby in there even if they aren't ready. My DD is SO strong holding herself up, but can't reach the floor in the jumparoo. I put a pillow under her. No, this is not using the toy properly, but it's the only way she can use it (LOVES jumparoo time) and I can keep her off her toes. I won't remove the pillow until she can stand flat footed in there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"