Special Needs
Options

How Has Your Life Changed Financially?

We have never been loaded but we've done ok. Until we had our baby who required a LOT of medical attention. So it seems like every spare penny we have  had for the last 3 years has gone to medical bills. I feel like our lives would have been so different had my daughter not been born with a congenital heart defect. How have you dealt with the financial aspect of having a child who requires a lot of medical care and other expenses that other families don't have?

Re: How Has Your Life Changed Financially?

• Options

It was a hard adjustment at first. We've pretty much written off nice family vacations or a new car or a big TV. We manage the day to day expenses but we know any luxury purchases are not possible and may never be.

Friends and family don't get it. And I've had to turn down a lot of invitations and travel plans because we simply can't afford to visit when they want us to.

I try not to make a big deal about it but it hurts to hear about other families going to Hawaii every winter- and they don't even need to save to do that. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No family vacations in the past year and a half. Can't afford the extra luxuries most people have. We were able to afford buying a new van, as both our past cars were over 10 years old and compact-not good or safe for hauling two little ones around.

Thankfully some of our financial burdens have lightened up a bit with our ds new insurance policy. Hopefully, we will rid of most of that debt that we have accrued for past medical bills when we get our tax returns back in the spring.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Dramatically, I'd say....going from 2 solid incomes to just 1 (and even that has been shaky due to the recession - H is a contractor). With all the therapies I just could not stay working unfortunately, although I liked being a working mom. 

I am hoping to get back to work next year, though and get us back on our feet. Also hoping to have most of our OOP stuff behind us...but since this experience I've learned not to count on much, so we'll see.

• Options
    Sorry to hijack your post, but Auntie, when is your son graduating? That is so exciting that he will be getting a class ring! What does your ds plan on doing after graduating? That time is so far away for us, but hearing about your ds gives me hope!
  • Options

Ugh, I don't even know where to start.  I feel we are very blessed, because in general we can "afford" (i.e. we can come up with the money for) the therapy that DS needs.  However, I really feel like it comes at a cost, particularly for DS #2.  A lot of DS#1's therapy is covered by insurance or the school system and I've been trying to sort out what we are potentially looking at down the road, but it could be $0 or tens of thousands of dollars.  Virtually impossible to plan for.

I think kids are expensive and parents will usually spend the absolute most they can afford on education, child care, etc.  I think our issues just stretch that budget more than we would normally feel comfortable.  I do try to remember that the most important thing is to save for our own retirement.  It won't do any of us, any good for our kids to be trying to support us because we spent all our money on schools and therapists and now have no where to live.  At least if we have a roof over our heads and a small income we can always take care of them.  Its very hard.

• Options
    We're just 15 mos in to our son's CHD, so we haven't had huge changes yet (basically we were able to open a HCRA when he was born and did another one this year so between tax free bills and insurance we've been lucky so far). It has taken most of our savings though, and I've stayed home so we lost my income. It's just scary to think of all the what ifs. Our insurance coverage goes down every year, thanks to company budget cuts and other things. He'll probably need another surgery next calendar year, so there is no break in sight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just before our LO was born, we purchased a house... last year... before the world went to financial hell and before 1/3 of my income was slashed (I'm scheduled for another slash in the New Year).

If we were still renting, we would be able to manage the medical bills better, but with the increase in home maintenance and the medical bills, I don't know what to do.  DS came home a month ago, and I haven't even seen the bills from the hospital stay.  I'm still struggling with the NICU bills.

How am I dealing..?  I don't have a freakin' clue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"