Birth Stories

Better late than never! (long and detailed)

So, the subject applies to both my DS and my post.  DS was due on 10/10/2009 and was born on 10/20/2009, so this is a bit late - just like he was. 

I had the birth plan all worked out.  Copies were with DH, the doc, and the hospital.  I knew not everything would go according to plan, but had no idea how far off it could really go!

I had planned a drug-free birth and the doc was on board with not giving me an IV so I could walk around uninhibited, etc.  Well, since DS decided not to appear, even after nearly three weeks of contractions (some quite severe and regular), I had to be induced.  We started out without the IV, the doc broke my water just to see if contractions would increase and regulate on their own for any significant period of time.  Afer an hout, they did not.  Of course, pitocin is given intraveneously, so the IV was a necessary at that point.  I labored for two and a half hours after the pitocin kicked in and finally gave in - the strength at which those contractions came on was just too much all at once.  I fought through it for that amount of time and then gave in and asked for the epi.

I am allergic to iodine, which I had discussed with the anesthesiologist prior to even having my water broken (I had wanted to know my options as I was keeping an open mind about everything).  Well, just as the doc was about to start working on my back, DH asked, "What is the brown stuff?"  The anesthesiologist said, "Iodine."  DH said, "She's allergic to iodine."  DUH.  Like the giant red bracelet on my arm says - thanks for checking.  Thank God for DH's advocacy - that would have been a great way to continue labor... an allergic reaction!  ugh.  Anyway, I digress.

Got the epi, felt better.  I could still feel the contractions and they still hurt, but they were definitely manageable.  Another five hours of laboring and I was fully dilated.  The doctor said it was time to push.  I started pushing and DS was having some heartrate dips.  The doc said he was going to have to use the vaccum if he did not get out quickly.  I was so determined not to have him use it.  He actually had it out of the package and was waving it in front of my crotch, taunting DS (it was funny, actually).

32 minutes later, out came my 8 lb, 9 oz bundle of joy!  I had hoped not to be cut, but I was tearing more on the inside than the outside, so the doc asked if I wanted the snip, saying it would be super tiny.  I said, "Yes," and had a stage 2 tear with a small cut.  Honestly, healing was perfect and I never even felt the tear or the cut.  The hemmorhoids?  Well, that is another story - but when you push that size baby in that amount of time, I guess it's to be expected!

So, the birth plan was out the window.

Since DS was 10 days late, the placenta had disintegrated quite a bit.  We could not bank the cord blood (not enough sample) and the doc had to "explore" my uterus to make sure he got all of the placenta.

On DS's one week birthday, I had a temperature of 101.8.  We went to the doctor that afternoon and they diagnosed me with a uterine infection.  I started taking meds, was told to follow up in two days in the office.  Well, that night, my fever spiked to 103.8 and the doc said to head to the ER.  I was admitted and given IV triple therapy antibiotics.  They let me go after 24 hours, per my begging and promise to take the oral antibiotics very religiously at home.  

At the end of the antibiotic course, I had another fever.  When I checked into the hospital, they started me on a new antibiotic to treat what they thought was still the uterine infection.  Turns out that, while in the hospital on DS's one week, I contracted a bacterial infection called clostridium difficile.  It is NASTY.  I treated it once, it has come back, and I am now on meds again.

The worst part?  After all the pumping while in the hospital and then pumping and dumping when on meds not compatible with BF, milk is gone.  Never thought DS would be a formula baby.  Sigh.  I'm pretty down about it, but DS is thriving and I know that is what matters.

Next baby, I think I will just skip the birth plan - maybe then things will go as I hoped!

Re: Better late than never! (long and detailed)

• I love the part where your doctor was "waving" the tool in front of your crotch.  I was able to visualize my doctor doing the same thing.. it made both my partner and myself laugh out.  I'm sorry your birth plan went out of the window.. I'm positive mine might also, but I've got to try!! Thanks for a wonderful story about your son and I hope you're healing well now!  
  • thanks for sharing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"