Washington Babies
Options

help with birthday party stuff!

yikes.  Ben's almost THREE.

This is our first birthday party we're doing with other kids/friends and a real kid type party.  

We're doing a birthday party at Little Gym on Jan 10.  That's all I know so far.  So here are my questions:

1.  When should I send invitations out?  Soon huh?  I would think a month early b/c of the holidays?

2.  The party is from 10 to 11:30.  So from 11-11:30 will be food and cake.  What kind of food should we have?  I figure light lunchy stuff - any good ideas since we'll have to bring it all there?

3.  I was planning to do "no gifts"... I figure at 3 years old he won't know.  We'll open presents from family on his actual birthday.  That's OK right?   Plus i figure they're too little to deal with a controlled present opening part of the party anyway. 

4.  Any idea for themes?  I'd like to give Ben a few options.  In the past, we've just gotten cakes from Safeway.  And honestly, I like grocery store cakes - mostly because of the gross yummy frosting.   But I always thought I'd be the mom who made awesome cakes on her own or did those cute cake balls you guys are all doing, etc... I'm pretty crafty, so I should be able to do some of this stuff.   But we'll see if I do.

5.  Anyone been to a Little Gym party before?  Do I decorate in the party room?  Or just bring in food?  What have you seen done?

Re: help with birthday party stuff!

• Options

Great minds must think alike, we are also doing Little Gym for Mason this year. I am still debating doing it the 9th or 10th, I need to figure it out.

1. I am hoping to send out invites early next week. 

2. You can do little mini sandwiches (get a platter from a sub shop or deli). With a small fruit/veggie platter.  You only get a small amount of time in the party room, so you don't want a full meal.

3. I like the idea of no gifts, but know that dh won't get it.  I like the idea of opening gifts at home, but assume people would think that's tacky of me.  :)

4. I have monkey stuff from last year, if you want it.  I am planning on just doing polka dots, red & white.  I figure doing it there you can't really "theme" it too much, aside from food & plates/napkins.   Iam planning on cupcakes, they seem so much easier for this age, and easier to make/decorate for me.

5. We went to a LG party last summer.  She didn't decorate the room, just napkins/plates.  She had juice boxes, water bottles, strawberries and cake.  We left right before present opening, as Mason was being quite the pill about sitting to watch her open. 

Are you planning on just using the postcards they have or are you getting your own invitations?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'll do my own invitations I think... I need cute invites.  :)

I was thinking I could do a sports theme and do cupcakes that look like different balls.  I think cupcakes seem easier than having to take time to cut and serve a cake.

I also thought about doing fruit skewers and little sandwiches, or little bagels even. 

I guess I should get it together to send invitations next week.  Maybe I can get Ben to help me make them.  :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I love the little gym idea!

Personally, I'd send out the invites the day after Christmas that way it won't get lost or tossed in with all the Christmas stuff.  But you guys, would know better!

I like Caldwell's idea of polk-a-dots.  I think of bubbles and just good classic fun.  The sports theme works well with LG too!  Cupcakes are super easy and fun.  Baseballs and Basketballs are very easy to make with icing.  If you want something different, I know you can get the bakery to make Football shaped bismark donuts.  That would be cute to have too. 

Mini sandwiches are perfect and fruit skewers are a great idea!

Gifts... if Ben is OK with it, then go ahead.  I think that will depend on him and what he knows birthday parties to be.  Will he be upset?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would have a selection of drinks, juice boxes, little bottles of water, they should get nice and thristy from the party.

If you were feeling super ambitious you could do little bento box style lunches (like a homemade lunchable) that used sports themed crackers (if you go with that theme), meat and cheese cut in shapes with a cookie cutter, same with veggies like cucumbers and a little dip container. You could assemble them all in gladware or something and have Ben decorate them with stickers to match your theme. I think they would look really nice all stacked or sitting on the table with a bow our even a strip of paper sleeve that you could print "Happy Birthday Ben" on and such.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

other themes:  trains/transportation, cowboy/wild west, farm/zoo - or am I thinking too young?

Would it be weird to send out a STD this week and a follow up invitation/reminder right after Christmas?  Anything via mail this time of year is difficult.  I'd get the invitations out ASAP to avoid the card deluge.

Since the snacks are so close to lunch, I think you should keep them really light - fruit, cheese, cake, mini bagels or crackers, juice boxes and choc milk.

After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"