Attachment Parenting
Options

S/O BF past one year

I would love to and I know I'll get the side eye from the family.  My mom already told me DD is starting to wean herself but anyways...just wondering what it's like as far as how often.  I would love to stop pumping after one year while I'm at work.  How many times a day does your >1 year old nurse or how many oz to they take?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/O BF past one year

• Options
    It is really going to vary from LO to LO.  DD is two and still nurses 4+ times a day if she has the opportunity.  However, she is also fine skipping a session.  I went back to school (gone about 5 hours a day) at a year old.  By 18 months, I would be gone about 8 hours at a time.  I never bothered pumping.
  • Options
    I stopped pumping at 12 months. I continued to nurse DD on my lunch hour until about 18 months (4x a day). She was also nursing 1-3x a night. I night weaned her at 26 months to bring us down to 3x a day. I started weaning from 3x at 34 months. It took 4 months to gradually wean her. She was completely weaned at 3y2m. I pretty much actively weaned at each point; she'd probably still be nursing now otherwise. (I had planned to follow CLW, but her latch got so bad, I couldn't stand the pain of nursing her anymore.)
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I stopped pumping after one year with DS and he still nursed until about 2.5...it's very possible to continue nursing even if you're working and not pumping!
    my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options

I stopped pumping at work at11.5 months and DD self-weaned at 22 months.  She probably would have gone a little longer, but I was 3/4 months pregnant and my supply was minimal.

By 14 months she was only nursing 2-4 times a day, and the majority of times were at home - at wake-up, before nap, before bed, overnight.  So really no one gave us the side eye because no one knew.  :-P  I obviously didn't lie about it or hide it, it just wasn't necessary for anyone to know because she ate table food and drank cow's milk when we were out of the house.

Heather Margaret --- Feb '07 and Todd Eldon --- April '09
  • Options
    I also stopped pumping at a year.  It hasn't affected nursing or my supply at all.  We still nurse in the evening, overnight and in the morning as well as before naps on the weekends.  My plan is to keep actively offering at those times through the flu season and then switch to don't offer, don't refuse.  How long DS nurses really varies - some days it's a ton, some days it's very little.  He is also pretty easy to distract so if it's not convenient and he asks to nurse I can give him a snack instead and he's fine.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"