High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD Ladies

I just got back from my meeting with the nutrionist - very eye opening! I have only gained 10 pounds up to this point so it worries me that I could be losing weight but hopefully will maintain. I was a size 4 pre pregnancy, so I can't really afford to lose much. On to my question - how do you judge food that you don't know the nutrion breakdown on? I am fine with things that I get from the box or make, do you just guess when eating a meal you didn't prepare, or some type of baked good?
Lilypie Maternity tickers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: GD Ladies

• Options
    Baked goods are pretty easy - I just don't eat them.  Sad  When i go out to eat, i just watch my portions, and if i am starting to feel full, i stop eating and take the rest home (and often have it as my nighttime snack).  Also, i keep a spreadsheet of what i eat and what my testing numbers are, so whenever we want to go out to eat, i refer back to what i tested when i ate there, so i know if it was a good choice or bad choice. I always try to eat as many salads and veggies as possible when i go out and watch what sort of dressing i use. I just basically eat really small portions of the carbs, and i'm usually ok.
  • Options

www.calorieking.com - and they have a great book, perfect purse size, for when you are on the go.

I got the book at Barnes and Noble, and it is come in very handy - sometimes I use the generic carb count from the book (ie: potato chips) but lots of restraunts and brands are in there - so you might be able to get exact counts for Lays potato chips, etc.

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Also, I found a good website www.dwlz.com which is a dieting website (weight watchers people, i think)...it has a listing of restaurants and the carb/fat/calorie, etc. content of their food. It has a lot of places on it and has been really helpful in eating out.

It's how I figured out that I can eat a Wendy's Single Cheeseburger and a Jr. Frosty for dinner when I'm really feeling deprived :)

• Options
    imagekateandnick915:

Also, I found a good website www.dwlz.com which is a dieting website (weight watchers people, i think)...it has a listing of restaurants and the carb/fat/calorie, etc. content of their food. It has a lot of places on it and has been really helpful in eating out.

It's how I figured out that I can eat a Wendy's Single Cheeseburger and a Jr. Frosty for dinner when I'm really feeling deprived :)

Be sure to take Dottie's site with a grain of salt - she does not update as much as she used to, so the info may be off for new recipes and she does not have everything. For restaurants don't forget to check their own website too!!

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't eat out at all for about a month, until I got a handle on what I could and couldn't eat. I didn't eat baked goods at all. After a while you'll get the hang of what your body can and can not tolerate and it'll get a lot easier. Also, if you want something really bad (i.e., a cookie) go for a long walk after you eat it. That always helped me.
  • Options

imageAdam'sGirl:
    I didn't eat out at all for about a month, until I got a handle on what I could and couldn't eat. I didn't eat baked goods at all. After a while you'll get the hang of what your body can and can not tolerate and it'll get a lot easier. Also, if you want something really bad (i.e., a cookie) go for a long walk after you eat it. That always helped me.

Same here!  I avoided a lot of situations until I knew how my body would react.

• Options

I avoid anything I cannot know for sure the nutritional value.  I also have a calorie/carb counter by Biggest Loser that goes in my purse so I can reference it if I am eating out.

https://www.amazon.com/Biggest-Loser-Calorie-Counter-Restaurants-As/dp/1594865957

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"