North Carolina Babies
Options

ECUGirl

What workout schedule did you use to train for the 1/2 marathon?

Was it Hal Higdon's?

Re: ECUGirl

• Options
    Yep, I used Hal Higdon's.  It worked really well for me.  The only thing I would recommend is adding an extra week or two and going ahead and running the full distance one time.  I wish I had made the time to run 13.1 one time before the half.
  • Options

One more question -

What were you doing for your weight training?  Did you use a program or did you just pick exercises and go?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have used the same weight training routine since before I got married.  It's called a split routine (a trainer on The Knot health & fitness board always promoted it).  MereD follows (or did follow, at least) a similar routine.

I do this routine:

Monday- Chest & triceps, Tuesday - Back & biceps, Wednesday - Abs & shoulders, Thursday - Legs.  I do several exercises with each muscle group.  I do 3 sets with reps of 12/10/8, increasing the weight I lift with each set (so I might do a set at 50 lbs, at 60 lbs and at 70 lbs if I'm using a machine).  On days that I do leg weights, I do not do any cardio, since most cardio requires a lot of leg work and that's too fatiguing.

I sometimes had to shuffle things around when my weekday distances started getting longer & I didn't have enough time to do strength training and run 5 miles.  But for the most part, that's what I stick to and it has always worked pretty well for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"