Cincinnati Babies

How do you pronouce this name?

How do you pronounce the name "Vera"?  The baby name websites I've been to say it's pronounced "veer-ah" but I swear when referencing Vera Wang and Vera Bradley I've only heard people say "vair-ah."  I prefer the second pronunciation, but I don't like the idea of taking a traditional and pronouncing it however I want.  What do you think?

Edited to add: Also aloe vera is pronouced the second way mentioned above...should I just go on that? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do you pronouce this name?

• I pronounce it as "Vair-ah"
    imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I say Veer-ah.  I know 2 Veras and that is how they pronounce it.  I say Vera Wang and Vera Bradley with the long e sound too.

ETA: I say aloe vair-ah.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Whoops, I pronounce both designers as Vee-rah. I think it goes back to that show Alice...you know the waitress named Vee-rah. It could just be a geographical pronunciation or like aunt (ant or ahnt) or potato or tomato. You might be able to choose how you want to pronounce it.

• I have only heard it pronounced veer-ah.
  • imageMeg41208:

I say Veer-ah.  I know 2 Veras and that is how they pronounce it.  I say Vera Wang and Vera Bradley with the long e sound too.

This exactly. 

• I pronounce it "Vair-ah" when I'm talking about Vera Bradley and "Veer-ah" when I'm talking about Vera Wang.  I guess I never really thought about that until now, though!  If I just saw the name on its own I'd probably say, "Vair-ah."
  • Thanks, ladies. I did some more hunting on baby names sites and it looks like it is both a Russian and a Latin name. The Russian pronunciation is definitely "veer-ah" but the Latin could be "vair-ah." In Latin, it means truth and is derived from the word, "veritas," which is pronounced "vair-ee-tas." So I guess I could really go either way without committing some big name faux-pas. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I pronounce it the second way.
  • I know a Finnish girl with that name. She prounces it Veer-ah.
  • Vera is one of our favorite girl's names and I think I would pronounce it Vair-ah.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMeg41208:

I say Veer-ah.  I know 2 Veras and that is how they pronounce it.  I say Vera Wang and Vera Bradley with the long e sound too.

This.

• Funny that you should ask this right now b/c I actually have the Kardashian wedding episode on my DVR and Vera Wang is on it.  I'm gonna pull it up to see how they pronounce it on the show.

Okay I just watched the scene and Khloe says "vair-ah" like aloe vera, but her mom says "veer-ah" so that didn't solve the mystery of how to pronounce it, lol.  I figured they would know b/c on the show they say Vera Wang is a long time family friend.  Anywho...

I think I say it both ways.  I've never really thought about it until now.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• imagestacieann15:
    Vera is one of our favorite girl's names and I think I would pronounce it Vair-ah.

This.  Vera was only vetoed as a name in our house because DH and I couldn't decided on how to pronounce it (can't wait to show him this post).  I wanted Vair-ah and he wanted Veer-ah.  Ugh.  If we have another girl I think I will put this name back on the table. Stick out tongue

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DH's g-ma goes by Vera (pronounced Vee Rah).  But I think I usually say it Vair-ah instead.  :)
    Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Long e

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • It's my mother's name -- she pronounces it Veer-uh.  She is named after my grandpa's sister, who also pronounced it Veer-uh.  My cousins used to call her Aunt Vurra (not either of the pronunciations mentioned here).  Quite honestly I have never heard it pronounced Vair-uh until I read this!  I think if you want the name to be pronounced Vair-uh, you should spell it Vara.  That looks pretty, too.
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • imagesistrkate:
    It's my mother's name -- she pronounces it Veer-uh.  She is named after my grandpa's sister, who also pronounced it Veer-uh.  My cousins used to call her Aunt Vurra (not either of the pronunciations mentioned here).  Quite honestly I have never heard it pronounced Vair-uh until I read this!  I think if you want the name to be pronounced Vair-uh, you should spell it Vara.  That looks pretty, too.

ooohh - that is pretty

• I pronounce Vera Wang and those Veer-ah and Aloe Vera as vair-ah.  I have never heard the designer be called vair-ah...hmmm...
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• imageMeg41208:

I say Veer-ah. 

This way.  I used to work in a hallmark store that almost got VB stuff (I would've been in sooo much trouble, LOL!), and my manager always referred to it that way too. 

• I've always pronounced it veer-ah, but I say aloe vera vair-ah, rhymes with Farrah.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"