High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone ask their dr. to take them out of work early?

I have been having a lot of contractions recently (which is normal for me--previous pregnancy with 4 months of bedrest due to IC and PTL).....I also have a cerclage. However the contractions aren't causing any cervical changes but I've noticed that they have definitely increased in frequency and intensity over the past few days. I'm planning on talking to my doctor about possibly leaving work early at some point. I work full time and have a 2 year old and feel like it is putting too much pressure on my body when I am already a high-risk pregnancy because of my previous pregnancy (also have a cerclage with this one and get weekly 17p shots)....anyone ASK their doctor to put them on bedrest or modified bedrest?

Re: Anyone ask their dr. to take them out of work early?

• Options
    My phys.therepist had asked early on if I could not work.  I then brought it up with my doc at my next appt and was taken off.  I just explained that I felt work was making my medical problems worse.  Have a heart-to-heart with your doc and see where it gets you.  Good luck!
  • Options

I just told my ob that I was feeling tired and overwhelmed.  She was very quick to suggest that I quit working and said that she felt that with a high risk pregnancy I should not be doing the commute I was doing as well as working.  I went to part time at 7 months and started my leave at 36 weeks...baby was born at 38 weeks.  My ob called it modified bed rest and said that basically she wanted me to spend as much time as I could handle on the couch or in bed and didn't want me working. 

Talk to your ob about it, they may be thinking it would be better for your health anyway, mine was!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

No but I'm thinking about it... Crazy me has been working almost 6 days a week every week.  So I'm going to stop working at the hospital after the holiday, and see how it goes from there. 

If my placenta doesn't move and I don't start feeling much better I'll probably come out earlier than planned. 

And when I ask my doctors to take me out, they will tell me... "I told you so..."

GL, hope you feel better!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I spoke to my doctor about it last week.  Wednesday ended up being my last day of work - it just worked out well with the holiday.  I have GD, which doesn't usually lead to bed rest or stopping work early, but I have such horrible sciatica pain and a broken toe that I can hardly walk.  As a teacher, I need to be mobile to get around my classroom.  My doctor said that he'd write a note or fill out whatever forms I needed to stop work when I did.  I'm going to be induced/c-s early (possibly this week), so it wasn't too early in my case.
  • Options

Not yet but I'm starting to consider it now. I feel like sh!t all the time and can barely keep my eyes open even when I work from home. My BP is high (over 140/90 sometimes when it's usually 105/55) and my swelling is so bad I can't wear any of my old shoes or rings. Not to mention the migraines and such.

My OB had asked a few weeks ago if I could stop working - at that point I thought I could tough it out but this week I am going to talk about my concerns and see what he thinks. 

• Options
    It's been my experience that most doctors are happy to have you stop working early if you are high-risk.  With your bp issues, I would think your dr. would encourage you to stop, because the stress can't be good for that issue.  Even though I'm now off BR for incompetent cervix, my dr. still isn't sending me back to work full-time (I have been working part-time from home all along) because of my history of hypertension.  I know that I was under a tremendous amount of stress when I was in the office full-time, so I am kind of happy that my original plan to work up to my due date didn't work out.  But I'm sure I feel that way because I have good STD coverage.  If I didn't, I'm sure I would have pushed back.
  • Options
    I asked my doctor to take me out of work at 36 weeks and she completely agreed.  I work 1-1/2-2 hours from home and they don't want me more than 1 hour away from the hospital once my cerclage is removed.  Unfortunately I have to go right on STD/FMLA so it will take time away from my little guy, but worth it so my body isn't put through the ringer on the commute.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"