Snarky and T-TTC
Options

WTF? My dad...

Seriously, my dad has turned into a weird old man.  He has always hated watching sports on tv, yet has refused to watch anything else this week. He left last night when we decided to watch Elf because "I hate that guy" about Will Ferrell.  But he'll only watch college fball. All day today he has done nothing but complain about the celebrating pro athletes do.  Now he is saying Adrian Peterson shouldn't even be a pro player because he isn't good enough due to fumbles.  

He is constantly eating out of the refridgerator over the counter or sink with his hands. When I offer to make him a plate of somethign he says no, he isn't hungry.  5 mins later and he's eating over the sink again.

He has gone for 3 walks today.  I keep trying to find things he would enjoy doing (yesterday we hit the history museum) but he says no, he would rather hang out with the baby at home.  20 mins later he's out the door on another walk.  Plus he won't take a key with him so somebody has to go down 5 flights of stairs to the outside to let him in when he gets back.

God give me strength... 

Re: WTF? My dad...

• Options

Now he is walking to the store to buy Miracle Whip.

He bought two jars of mayonaise yesterday, but is saying now he wants MW.  

And he just asked my H if Minnesota has a concealed weapons permit law... 

• Options

That's not kosher.  He should get tested for Alzheimer's or dementia.  It could also be a minor stroke.  He will probably resist going to the doctor specifically for those tests, so just schedule a wellness check for him and have his doc do further testing.

I am really sorry you are dealing with this and hope you are able to get some answers soon.  Your dad will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    and you are?
  • Options

I think something happens around age 60 and dad's just start acting weird. I don't have a relationship with mine, but my FIL is going through something too. 

Like they are restless with life, but yet too scared/lazy/depressed to make any real change to do anything about it. Rather they just make everyone around them crazy.

LOL at the concealed weapons question. Hopefully your answer was NO!

• Options

imagemb~zf:
    and you are?

LMAO.

• Options

My dad hasn't gone nutty but my mom got weird about the time she hit menopause.  DH's parents are kind of the same way....

And hey -- when you want Miracle Whip you want Miracle Whip Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think all dads start turning into crotchety old men once they hit about 60. Fun times.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Bacon- you are a saint..

sorry I know I havent been posting on here for a while but I still lurk and kept up with your Thanksgiving saga.. I think Santa needs to be very good to you this year considering all you have put up with!

• Options
    I have to agree with the stranger that it sounds odd and maybe he should get checked out. But what do I know? He could just be getting older and set in his ways. If they want to do something, they'll do it, no matter what.
  • Options

Oh I agree from the outside he sounds batshit crazy.  But he's not really.  It's also hard for me because I only see him twice a year anymore and this isn't the person I remember living with 6 years ago.  My sister doesn't seem to shocked by any of this.

I think we're all going a little stir crazy.  My nephew had a meltdown today too.  We're kind of housebound with Olive at this point so I think that is the biggest problem.

Good news...   My mom gets here on Friday.  ha ha ha  (ps, my mom is actually the crazy one) 

• Options
    Hope you survive the craziness. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • Options
    My dad mostly just spends all his time ranting about Republicans and Christians these days.  Even even though I'm neither, I still find his complete and total relentlessness on the topic(s) annoying.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm late in responding but was going to say that it seems like your dad might just be bored. My dad does the same thing, not crazy just antsy and set in his ways. I think the older they get the more they just want to do their own thing. Oh, and my sister and I are in a similar situation, just reversed. I live down the street from my parents and am used to them getting older and changing. She only sees them every 6 months or so and when we went to LA for my uncles funeral she was in shock. I didn't notice really until she said something.

Good luck and let him go for as many walks/rides as he wants to get out of your hair. :)

• Options

I'm so glad that other people have experienced this.  It was bothering me big time until some of you said your parents have acted the same way.

Thanks for letting me b*tch about it. 

• Options

it's monday morning now and i hope you've recovered from the holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"