Breastfeeding

just pumping

my baby was not gaining weight - so the dr said to try pumping to see what amount of  milk i am producing.  so i have been doing that and each time I don't get more than 1 oz from both breasts.  So we started to supplement with formula.  I am still breast feeding 2-3 times a day, pumping... but my milk supply seems to be nothing!!!  I am so frustrated and don't know what to do.  Any insight would help!  Thanks.

Re: just pumping

• Something I learned is that just because you can only pump 1 oz doesn't mean you are only producing that much.  Your LO is waaaay more efficient at getting milk out than a pump.  If you want to know exactly how much your baby is getting at a feeding, consult with an LC who can weigh the baby before and after a feeding to get an accurate measure of how many ounces you're getting.  I also know you can rent those baby scales for peace of mind.  As long as your baby has enough wet diapers every day, you shouldn't worry.  That being said, if you are having supply issues, check out www.kellymom.com for awesome tips at boosting your supply!  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Aww..how old is your LO? The first 2 days I pumped I LITERALLY got DROPS..I mean...10 drops max each time after pumping 30 minutes or more....from the 3rd-5th days I was where you are..about an ounce total and I had to also supplement....Fast forward to now and I have a slightly low supply but still about 3-4oz total each pump session. Hang in there and supplement until it comes in...just keep pumping!! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageamjayasuriya:
    Aww..how old is your LO? The first 2 days I pumped I LITERALLY got DROPS..I mean...10 drops max each time after pumping 30 minutes or more....from the 3rd-5th days I was where you are..about an ounce total and I had to also supplement....Fast forward to now and I have a slightly low supply but still about 3-4oz total each pump session. Hang in there and supplement until it comes in...just keep pumping!! Good luck!

This.  My milk didn't really come in until 4 days.  I had been pumping and by the 6th day I had a major over supply after only getting a few drops.  

• Am I right that your DC is only 4 days old? They should be losing weight, not gaining in the first few days. I would try to nurse frequently on demand at minimum ever 2-3 hours. Why did the doc tell you to pump this early?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got next to nothing the first several days of pumping, but my supply got much better about a week after DD's birth.  I EP (long story) but wish BFing had worked out since it's true that baby is more efficient than the pump and now I'm having supply issues.  I agree with pp - go to a lactation consultant or someone who can weigh the baby before and after a feeding to see how much your LO is really getting.  Don't switch to EPing just because of this!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"