North Carolina Babies
Options

Fake Christmas tree question...

I think we're making the switch to a fake tree this year, at least temporarily until all kids we might have are a little bigger. I am sad about it, since I love real trees, but am not excited about Holly eating all the needles, or dealing with stringing lights, etc (DH doesn't help with decorating, so it's all on me). A pre-lit, non-shedding tree sounds pretty good right now. :-)

I found one I like at BJ's, but it's been discontinued, and the floor model is the last one they have (all stores in my area either have the floor model, or none at all). They're willing to sell it to me at a 10% discount which makes it a pretty awesome price. But, they don't have the box.

Does anyone have any experience with storing one not in its original box? Any storage boxes/bags you recommend? Do you store it assembled, or taken apart? The one I'm looking at is a 7.5 foot tree. TIA!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Fake Christmas tree question...

• Options

we're on our second fake tree (DH broke the first one, it was 20+ years old).  never again will we try to put a tree back into a box.

we got a bag on wheels (and you can carry it like a backpack) at target right after christmas 2 years ago.  i'm sure they'll have something like that again...

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    We didn't keep our original box either.  We bought a huge plastic bin and it works perfectly.  
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We made the switch last year and it's awesome. I love not having to string lights or keep it watered. Or constantly vacuum needles. We did put ours back in the box, but I'm sure one of those storage bags would be great.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have a large plastic tote box too.
  • Options

We have the bag on wheels also and loooove it!

My pre-lit tree, however, starting having issues after 2-3 years (and it was a quite expensive one).   Half of the lights were not working and we tried EVERYTHING to get it fixed.  Didnt work.

So....I put it to the curb and bought a fake one without lights.   We just string them that way we can replace strands that dont work easily.

• Options
    imageJibbelle:

We have the bag on wheels also and loooove it!

My pre-lit tree, however, starting having issues after 2-3 years (and it was a quite expensive one).   Half of the lights were not working and we tried EVERYTHING to get it fixed.  Didnt work.

So....I put it to the curb and bought a fake one without lights.   We just string them that way we can replace strands that dont work easily.

The one I'm looking at has some setup where if one light goes out, it's just that one light, not the whole strand. So hopefully it won't be an issue!

I hate stringing lights! Growing up, my dad always did that part, but DH has no interest in decorating (and probably wouldn't do it the way I wanted anyway. hehe)... So, it's all me!

• Options

Those that just have a storage box, is it one specifically for Christmas trees, or just a large Rubbermaid type container?

I saw the bags, and those do look cool. We just want to make sure we have a place where we can store it, fully assembled. 

• Options
    I think our box is made mainly for trees (it's 5-6 feet long, and kinda skinny).  Our tree comes in 3 pieces, which we do take apart, to better fit in the box.  I bet if you go to Target/WM/Lowes/etc and look in their home storage section, you'll find one now (and if not yet, definitely later in the season).  I like our box b/c it's sturdy and protect the tree, plus we sometimes throw a few extras in the box if there's room.  And it's stackable w/ the rest of our Rubbermaid-type boxes.
  • Options
    We have a 14' tree and we cram half of it in the box (which is the last year due to it falling apart) and the rest in bins and bags. We also have a pre-lit but due to our obsession with lights we put extra ones on! We got a pre-light tree with white lights and and added like 1000 extra blue lights. We leave those on too but it's a total pita trying to figure out which crap plugs into what. haha! Good luck! I say go for it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"