Detroit Babies
Options

HPV Questions

So I just found out I have a type of HPV after my pap smear came back with abnormal cells. I wasn't too surprised because I knew it was so common (my doctor said around 90% of women have it--knowingly or unknowingly). What freaked me out is he told me I have the "high risk" type which can lead to cervical cancer, although he told me that it may never happen.

I underwent a colposcopic examination (kind of like a pap smear but more involved), and he took some tissue to biopsy. I wasn't surprised that he did the biopsy because I was told most women have that done--it doesn't necessarily mean anything. He did say most of it (cervix) looked ok and he called the whole thing a "bump in the road," i.e., not a huge deal.

Has anyone else had this done? What happened? He told me the most likely scenario would be I'd have to have another pap in six months. 

Re: HPV Questions

• Options
    I had all of that like over 10 years ago.  From what I remember, after the colposcopy I had another pap and it was fine.  It just went away, which I guess can happen.  Good luck.
  • Options
    Ditto pp- I had a coloposcopy about 7 or 8 years ago. I just had to have another pap in 6 months and that one was fine- I haven't had an abnormal one since. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"