Working Moms
Options

Please tell me it gets easier...

Yesterday was DD's first day at daycare.  DH dropped her off... I was crying as I put her in her carseat and bawled after they left.  I feel so anxious about her going (which I know every mom feels).  And when I went to pick her up, she was sitting in a bouncy seat and looked like she was zoned out. Then I went up to her and said, "Morgan!  Mommy's here!!" and her little face lit up with a big smile that melted my heart.  I was so overwhelmed that I cried the whole way home.  I just don't want her to be sitting there with no stimulation, zoning out all day.  That breaks my heart.  Not to mention they said she was having trouble with her feedings, but did better as the day went on.  Please tell me that it gets better...  I'm only working part-time (MWF) for now, which I'm thankful for, but I find myself dreading tomorrow already.  I feel like I want/need to work (I'm a pharmacist and really enjoy my job) but I'm torn.  Help!  I need some encouragement.

Re: Please tell me it gets easier...

• Options

Lots of hugs.  It does get easier - a little bit each day. With #1 I cried every day for at least a week (and it was only my mom that was watching her the first month back to work).

• Options

It does get easier...the first couple weeks back were the hardest...and I still have "those" days ever once in a while when I miss them like crazy or get a little teary on my ride in...but for the most part things are routine now and everyone has adjusted...good luck!  Maybe talk to your dcp about what activities they are doing with you lo during the day so you know she is being stimulated...I know my dds tend to zone out for their third quicky nap of the day right about the time I pick them up....good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It gets easier. I hit a point with DS where I realized, not only was he ok, but he was thriving.  Our nanny was doing things with him that I never even would have thought of doing and he was really benefiting from it. I think you'll find the same is true of daycare. She's so little right now it's hard to see that, but daycare will be a good thing!  And, you have the ideal set up. A lot of working moms think the 3 day work week is the perfect balance.

• Options

Could her "zoned out" look be from being tired? 

Really, even when DS was little - he'll yawn most of the way home from daycare.  He has even fallen asleep in the car on the 10 minute trip before.  I know it's because he's so busy during the day, playing and doing activities. 

Even though your baby is still quite young, the change in atmosphere and all of the extra, new activity going on around her probably tired her out.  It's an adjustment for everyone. 

I would talk to her caregivers about your concern with her being in a bouncy for too long, and if they don't already ask for a summary of the activities they do with her during the day when you pick her up. 

It does get easier, especially as they get older and you see how much they're learning and enjoying being there and you get into a good routine.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That picture is ADORABLE. 
    I think you and DD will adjust well, especially since you are PT. It sounds like a good balance for you and you will really enjoy your time off with her. As long as it is a good daycare she will be fine. I'm sure she prefers you so you will probably get that smile every time. Good luck. I am sure you will both adjust well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"