Baby Showers
Options

My 2nd preg, no one hosting a shower. Anyone joining me in this boat?

XP: Yeah, I know it's a sensitive topic around here, but I must be honest... I'm shocked that no one offered to throw a shower for this baby. In our family, the "norm" is that we celebrate each baby. I know my sis has a 4 month old so she's busy, and my other sis is in college, so she's not thinking of it, but what about my mom or step-mom or bazillion aunts or girlfriends? It's just odd to me and makes me a bit sad. It's honestly not about the gifts... in fact, I really don't need much (maybe a double stroller, but we can buy that). The one thing that may be throwing a wrench in the situation for others, is that we didn't find out the gender this time.

Anyhow, I have a large family, and get-togethers are rare (holidays only), so  a simple get-together would be fun so I'd at least have a memory of it for THIS baby and pictures to put in THIS baby's book under the area for "shower pics".

I do have 2 more months to go, but since no one's mentioned anything, I'm doubting it's even entered anyone's mind. So, I guess it's up to me:) I'm thinking of doing a gathering of sorts (without gifts) after the baby is here. What do you think? I've never been to a sprinkle and not even sure that's what you'd call this... what is a sprinkle, really? What do you do? Same things as a shower except that the baby is there and there are no gifts? Thanks for listening:)

Re: My 2nd preg, no one hosting a shower. Anyone joining me in this boat?

• Options
    A shower = gifts. So if it is not about gifts, host a meet the baby party once your LO is here to celebrate the baby! Just have it as a casual get together at your home.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options
    A meet the baby party is fine for you to throw.  A shower or sprinkle are not.  A sprinkle is a SMALL shower w/ IMMEDIATE family and your absolute closest friends only.  And it does involve gifts
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really really don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of second showers!? My friends are throwing one for me. I feel like this baby is just exciting and deserves to be celebrated as much as my first. I am having only close friends and family but my thought is if you are offended, don't come.I should also say I am not expecting gifts. Most of my friends are working on 2nd babies and I can't wait to get together and celebrate with them also. Having a baby is such an awesome and unique experience and should be celebrated as such.
  • Options

imageemilynichole1:
    I really really don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of second showers!? My friends are throwing one for me. I feel like this baby is just exciting and deserves to be celebrated as much as my first. I am having only close friends and family but my thought is if you are offended, don't come.I should also say I am not expecting gifts. Most of my friends are working on 2nd babies and I can't wait to get together and celebrate with them also. Having a baby is such an awesome and unique experience and should be celebrated as such.

I totally agree with this:) In my family, and around these parts, it is "expected" for each baby to be celebrated (with or without gifts, depending upon how long it's been since your last, and the gender of the next baby... all logical things).

At my work, I'm sure they'll have a shower for me. They are already talking about it. My family, for some odd reason, are not. I'm sure it's b/c everyone is so busy, and I understand that. It just makes me a bit sad considering I always throw everyone else's 2nd and 3rd showers/sprinkles. It's odd, but I'm sure it's slipped their minds and I, in no way, will be upset with them for it. I know it's an honest mistake. But, I still want to celebrate this baby and make those memories... and I talked with DH about it last night and he was like, "Oh, it would be fun to host a meet the baby party and that way *I* can be there without feeling awkward this time:)" LOL!

• Options
    Your family may still do something for you, though.  It sounds like you have a couple months to go so that is still an option.  Also, maybe it's a surprise and everyone is just keeping really quiet about it b/c they don't want you to know.  If your fam typically celebrates 2nd, 3rd babies, etc. than they will probably do the same for you.  I hope it all works out!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I only had a family shower for #1 and I seriously doubt I'll have one for #2 since I have moved to another state.  I have plenty of friends back home but no close circle/best friend that would do this for me (which I am TOTALLY fine with....less DRAMA!).  
    Megan--Mommy to Owen 1.10.07 and Gibson 5.11.10
  • Options
    imageemilynichole1:
    I really really don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of second showers!?
    A shower celebrates a woman's transition to motherhood, which can only happen once.  Even if #2 is 15 years younger than #1 and with a different father.  I've never heard of showers for second-time Moms IRL, but would "have a schedule conflict" if ever I were invited to such a thing.
  • Options

imageemilynichole1:

I thought the original concept of a baby shower was to "shower" the mother with gifts to help her and the father out financially - because the initial costs of having a baby can be insane and, back in "the day", a young pregnant couple would typically not have had much money to buy all the start-up items on their own.  I don't believe the intention was to celebrate the baby, it's to help out the new parents.  By the time baby #2 shows up, the parents could re-use the gifts from baby #1.

(Disclaimer - this isn't necessarily my opinion, just my observation. I have no opinion on 2nd-baby showers right now b/c, well, I don't even have a 1st baby yet)

• Options

The above poster (incognitowifey) is correct.  The shower is to shower the NEW mom-to-be with gifts to set up; the nursery.  That is why a second shower is kind of redundant...like what could she need?  Maybe some outfits for the baby?  If that is the case and she really wants to "celebrate" teh baby then a "meet the party" would be ideal.  Baby would be celebrated...because she/he would actually be there for people to celebrate and she/he would get some new outfits, etc. 

I've only been invited to one 2nd shower and I did not attend.  I did, however, send a gift and even snet a gift when the baby was born.  I know the woman is really hard up financially so everything I got (including a gift card and diapers for the shower) were things that she would need.

• Options
    I think "meet the baby" parties are the best. No one feels obligated to bring you anything so all the presents you get are truly from their hearts. They are much more relaxed and you can skip all the games. awesome.
    someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Options

Shower = gifts

Why do you need a "shower" to celebrate a baby?

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageocho2002:

Shower = gifts

Well, to me, shower=party=celebration. To me, showers do not have to have gifts... so I guess it'd be best to call it a meet the baby gathering.

• Options

Sprinkles are a new name for a shower for 2nd time + mom's.  There are gifts but this is usually a case for moms expecting the 1st girl or babies are many years apart where they wouldn't have the typical and necessary items like baby tub, etc.

It sounds like you want to throw a Meet the Baby party which is great!  Essentially, the name of it explains it all.  It is a party to introduce your LO to your friends and family.  These are lots of fun and you would have tons of pics since baby tends to get passed around more than the food!  (Keep that in mind if you are in the middle of a flu season and are concerned....)

Typically the Meet the Baby parties are informal and people don't bring gifts (although those closest to you may if they choose to, but it isn't expected).  You can put a simple message on the invites, "Please, no gifts."  or something along those lines if you wish to make it clear that you are not expecting gifts and that this is not actually a baby shower.  That is all up to you however.  Do what you and your family/friends group would be comfortable with and don't worry much about what us complete strangers on the Bump have to say..lol

Have fun with whatever gathering you end up having!!

• Options

imagehaleymay18:
    I think "meet the baby" parties are the best. No one feels obligated to bring you anything so all the presents you get are truly from their hearts. They are much more relaxed and you can skip all the games. awesome.

This.

Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
  • Options
    imageHawaiiBrideGrm:
    imageocho2002:

Shower = gifts

Well, to me, shower=party=celebration. To me, showers do not have to have gifts... so I guess it'd be best to call it a meet the baby gathering.

I get the mindset of celebrating the baby.  I also get the historical/traditional meaning and purpose of a shower.  There will always be toes stepped on in transitions between traditional and current trends and its impossible to avoid without avoiding the situation all-together!

I never mind going to a 2nd shower.  Usually the gift I bring is more cutesy or completely practical in these cases.  I also know that since I didn't even want a shower this time around for myself, that I won't be accepting a 2nd for myself.  I will however, hope for great weather and timing on my 2nd child so I can throw a big BBQ/Meet the Baby (okay, momma needs some socializing) type party in the backyard or at a park!  lol

Essentially the problem comes out though between traditional and celebrating when we want to have the party in a similar fashion as our 1st baby (i.e. before baby arrives) regardless of gift acceptance.  We can't call those parties "Meet the Baby" and we shouldn't call them showers traditionally speaking...so then what?  It becomes the great debate between "just don't do anything", "wait for baby", and throw a compromise like a "sprinkle" which is still a shower....I think we need a summit to find a new name for a party before baby gets here but without gifts......haha!  (Sorry, this drama just cracks me up somedays...but I do honestly get the sticky situation!!)

• Options

I am not one of those people who are against a second shower. I feel like a shower is to welcome the baby into the family/world and help prepare the new parents. The only time I may not offer to host or wont attend is if its way too close together. Like less than 3 years. I just feel like they should still have items left. In these cases a meet the baby would be better and I would probably bring a practical gift like pamper and wipes.

We will be having a shower for my second child but my first child will be 9 when LO is born and its the first child for DH and I together so both our families are very excited about it and are hosting a shower for us.

• Options

What my family does is, has a large shower for the first child, and if the 2nd is a different sex, then they throw another shower... if it is the same sex or 3rd or more they just get together and have brunch, no gifts expected, just a nice time with all the woman in the family and close friends  Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, exactly (as pp said about mama needs some socializing! LOL!)! Thanks for the ideas... as I said before, I'm a native SoCal-ian and we don't hear the term sprinkle very often, nor do many do a "meet the baby" party after birth. Honestly, I've been to a bazillion "showers", no matter what gender/number kid it's for, so thanks for explaining:)
  • Options
    We call a met the baby party a "Sip & See". Your guests sip and nibble and get to see the baby.
  • Options
    imageHawaiiBrideGrm:
    imageocho2002:

Shower = gifts

The word "shower" means to shower the mother with gifts.  A guest would not show up to a shower without a gift without feeling like a true moron.  Meet the baby parties are a different story.   My friend had a "sip & see" with tea at her home after her baby was born.  That would be a great idea!  I totally get that you want to have time to celebrate this baby too though & you can definitely think of a way to do it!  Perhaps you could just go to dinner with some girlfriends or invite your girlfriends to a Nursery reveal party or something cute.

In my opinion, 2nd showers are tacky (and I am from a place where they happen a bunch).  I say this because I have had to attend and/or host a million of them.    The only time I disagree with this is when it is twins or when the second child comes LONG after the 1st.   

• Options

From PP

Essentially the problem comes out though between traditional and celebrating when we want to have the party in a similar fashion as our 1st baby (i.e. before baby arrives) regardless of gift acceptance.  We can't call those parties "Meet the Baby" and we shouldn't call them showers traditionally speaking...so then what?  It becomes the great debate between "just don't do anything", "wait for baby", and throw a compromise like a "sprinkle" which is still a shower....I think we need a summit to find a new name for a party before baby gets here but without gifts......haha!  (Sorry, this drama just cracks me up somedays...but I do honestly get the sticky situation!!)

My F & F call these types of Parties a "Sip & See'" You have drinks = Sip and you get to "See" the new baby....

• Options

imagejjazwinski:
    I can't bite my tongue.  Frankly, who cares what it is called?  A shower, a sprinkle, a meet the baby.  Ever shower is different and everyone always has different intentions.  But it's not like that is spelled out on the invite and who really cares.  People need to do what makes them happy and not worry so much about everyone else.  Frankly, regardless if it's baby #5 and I'm invited to some sort of party, I'm taking a gift b/c babies are wonderful and baby stuff is fun.  If someone doesn't bring a gift and show up to be there, fab.  I think that people put too much thought in to this and worry about ettiquette (sp?).  Do what makes you happy, you can't spend your time worrying about everyone else. 

Wow, you took the thoughts right out of my head! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"