Orange County Babies
Options

Irvine: Best preschool and waiting lists

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what the best preschool in Irvine is and what the waiting list there is? We have heard horror stories and want to get in line as soon as possible. Tuition costs are not an issue, we just want a really low student to teacher ratio and the best overall school for our little one. Thanks in advance!

Re: Irvine: Best preschool and waiting lists

• Options

i dont know which one is the best- but i think that a low student to teacher ratio is rare/practically unavailable in irvine because most parents have to work so kids have to go to school/ daycare etc- but anyway.. the ratios are mandated by state so it cant be more than that. my niece and nephew go to pre school in mission veijo (at a Montessori even though they live in irvine bc they were unable to get in it the time frame they wanted to, they claim the ratio is lower there (but im not  sure i believe them)

the Montessori wait when i put dd's name down was 2-2.5 years there is priority given to those children that are put in as infants so get automatically get to move up making spaces for older children rare. there is also priority for siblings of children that are already in the program.

• Options

Ummm, you know "the" best may not be the "best" for your child, right?  And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there isn't a school out there with "really low student to teacher ratios."  The ratio for infants (under a year) is 4:1, toddlers is 6:1 and preschool (over 30 months) is 12:1.  You will find some programs that claim an 8:1 ratio but in reality what they have done is put a full teacher and an aide in the room.  So while, technically, yes, it's 8:1, the reality is that the aide is in there so there can be some more children in the room and so that she can do tasks like cleaning up, pottying children, etc. Yes, she is helping to supervise but she really isn't teaching the children.

If you're really concerned with putting your child in the "best" school for your child then you need to go start touring programs.  Find one that YOU are comfortable with and that suits the needs of your child. If you want the most popular school then ask neighbors.

The truth of the matter is, there isn't a school that is right for every child and there isn't a child that's right for every school.

Here's an article on how to help find a preschool that is the best for your child.  https://www.articlesbase.com/tutoring-articles/how-to-select-the-best-preschool-for-your-child-inside-tips-from-a-preschool-teacher-100082.html

That's my best advice. Good luck!

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The Irvine Montessori schools have excellent reputations.  They also have 2-3 year waiting lists, $1000/month tuitions and 5 day a week only programs.

Some other schools in Irvine with great reputations, lower tuitions, more flexible hours, and shorter waiting lists are:

Turtle Rock Preschool https://turtlerockpreschool.com/

Good Shepherd  https://www.goodshepherdpreschool.com/

St. Paul's https://www.stpaulspreschooltustin.org/index.php

• Options

EEEK!  i really think you need to base your decision what your child needs and what you want as a parent.

i see many parents recommend montessori as the best but i personally (and professionally) do not feel that montessori equals the best.

sooooo....find out your personal wants and needs and get out there and look for one on your own.  honestly, what is fantastic for me may not suit your needs.

good luck! 

• Options
    imageweebaby:

EEEK!  i really think you need to base your decision what your child needs and what you want as a parent.

i see many parents recommend montessori as the best but i personally (and professionally) do not feel that montessori equals the best.

sooooo....find out your personal wants and needs and get out there and look for one on your own.  honestly, what is fantastic for me may not suit your needs.

good luck! 

I couldn't agree more!!!

I'm not big on Montessori, but I know it works great for some kids.  I have even referred people to Montessori when they tell me what they are looking for.  However, for me, eh, not so much.  Then again, I run a play based/developmentally appropriate program.

OP, read the link I gave you.  It talks specifically about this exact thing ... what works for one, doesn't for another, that the "popular" school may not be the one that is right for you, etc.  I know many people who have gotten sucked into the whole "it's the best school" only to get there and have issues and not know what to do. 

Do an internet search and pull up all the schools in the area and go visit them.  If you want to know what to look for, ask, etc, I'm happy to help with that.

For what it's worth, I have children out of many of the schools from Irvine, including some from schools that are listed in this thread.  It's not that they aren't good schools, they just didn't work for those families.  Just like there are schools that have children out of my program because ours wasn't right for them.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Thank you so much on all the great feedback. Looks like the summary is that we should start touring preschools immediately and go with our gut. Great advice!

Happy Thanksgiving!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"