Alabama Babies
Options

Table food / Weaning

Hey ladies!  I know I still have about 2-3 months before weaning, but I feel like I have no clue what to do in preparation.  Up until her 9 month appointment we have still been drinking 4 bottles a day, and eating baby food 2-3 times a day.  My pedi pretty much gave me the impression that I really needed to start stepping it up with more table foods.  I have started giving her oatmeal in the mornings (a couple of hours after her morning bottle) and then doing stuff like cut up watermelon, cheese, etc. as snacks throughout the day.  When we eat, I will give her small pieces of cut pasta and stuff.  What are other ideas?  I am STUCK on what to give her.

Also, is there a point where I start cutting back on bottles?

TIA for your advice!

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Table food / Weaning

• Options

have you introduced a sippy cup?  you may want to start giving her water in a sippy to start practicing. 

we never did baby toddler food - she just started eating more and more of what we ate.. i'd give her noodles, pieces of ground meat before I added spices (like if i was making tacos), beans, cheese, rice, steamed veggies, sweet potato fries, etc. 

just watch her carefully when she eats...if she's not ready for it, she will let you know. 

• Options

I have a question to add to this post too...

When do you step up to 2 or 3 meals of tablefood? Right now K is still eating tablefood once a day, at night. But, I wonder if we need to start giving it to her twice or three times a day?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We did introduce the sippy cup around 6 months.  There is only one that she can really seem to drink out of, put if I let her have it as much as she wants she seems to drown herself and kind of cough a little...so we just kind of hold it so we can monitor how much she gulps. 

She does fine with the table food we do give her...no gagging or anything like she did when we first started baby food.

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• Options
    imageMissLMS:

I have a question to add to this post too...

When do you step up to 2 or 3 meals of tablefood? Right now K is still eating tablefood once a day, at night. But, I wonder if we need to start giving it to her twice or three times a day?

We started at 6 months - Avery had dinner once a day utnil about  8 months - and then we had breakfast  and lunch and then around 9-10 months she was  eating 3 meals a day. 

• Options

Sarah-

When did you start scaling back bottles, or did you just completely stop?

• Options

The first bottle we dropped was the lunch time bottle (she was down to only 4 oz of BM in each bottle by the time she was eating 3 meals a da) and around the same time, we replaced her bottles with sippies of BM for AM/PM.  (she was nursing morning and at night still)

This all happened around 11 months.

I introduced whole milk around that time too (it was a very exciting time for us - LOL). 

By 1 year she was drinking 100 % milk during the day and dinner but still nursing in the morning and at night.

Last week I dropped our morning nurse session and she gets milk with breakfast.  The evening nursing session will be tough though.  

• Options
    I plan on asking the pedi about this today as well.  He suggested going to three meals a day just before 8 months and that has gone pretty well I guess.  She does try the food at each meal but my concern is that DD is not eating very much of it, she still takes 4 bottles a day of about 28 ounces.  I know the amount isn't as important as letting her practice but it seems like she is still taking a lot of formula.  We just started some table foods (banana pieces, cottage cheese, soft cheese, chunky pear and sweet potato fries) and she is doing okay but she did gag at first and it was SCARY!  I'm going to try cooked squash and cooked diced carrots next.  I will let you know what the pedi says about cutting back the bottles...
  • Options
    The pedi wasn't very specific (this always seems to be the case) and just said she would let me know when she was close to dropping another bottle.  I thought that weaning and moving to milk was the goal for around a year but he said that is flexible and that for some babies it is closer to 14 months.  I wish I had better information!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"