Orange County Babies
Options

More Daycare questions...

For those of you who responded to the KinderCare post below (or anyone else that sends their kids to daycare) - DD will be starting daycare soon and I keep reading horror stories about all the illnesses out there.

Do your kids get sick all the time?

Re: More Daycare questions...

• Options

DD has been in daycare since 14weeks.  Other than her stint of pneumonia at 6 months, she has been a healthy baby.  Sure she has had a runny nose from time to time but she's not been a 'sick kid'. 
    Our daycare is small and quick to send LOs home that are showing symptoms that can be contagious - it helps to keep a relatively healthy environment.  It's not foolproof but so far this season it has been pretty quiet. ::knocking on wood::

forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you ladies who have been providing the daycare info.  It looks like Keira will probably need to start daycare in the next couple of months too, and it's kind of nerve racking.  It's so helpful reading about everyone's experiences.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it depends on the immune system of the child.  DS was sick all.the.time his first two years of daycare.  It was so bad.  I think he's had every common childhood illness in his short 2 years of life.  DD, on the other hand, has been in daycare for 4 months now and has only had two small colds with no missed days.
  • Options
    I just want to say that eventhough my kid is not in daycare but she get sick often (i think so). like Savannah said depending on the child's immune system. GL with everything.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

From what I've heard and read, kids who go to daycare do get sick more often than kids that stay home.  But, once those kids start school, the kids who stayed home get sick more often then those that went to daycare.  It's all about building their immune system.

So either way they'll be exposed to germs.  Either at daycare or school. 

I guess that's another reason I was so zealous about bfing LO.  I'm a teacher, so I like to think I have the immune system of an ox and I'm passing all of that off to LO.

• Options
    imageAsianPrncssKim:

From what I've heard and read, kids who go to daycare do get sick more often than kids that stay home.  But, once those kids start school, the kids who stayed home get sick more often then those that went to daycare.  It's all about building their immune system.

So either way they'll be exposed to germs.  Either at daycare or school. 

I've heard that too, and it totally makes sense.

• Options
    My DD did get sick quite a bit during her first few months in daycare, but after that, she's been pretty healthy for the most part. I do have friends whose children do not go to daycare and still get sick as much or a lot more than my DD, if that helps. I know it's hard to think about it...I'm getting ready to send DS to daycare at 4-5 months, and I'm concerned about the illnesses going around right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"