3rd Trimester
Options

NBR: Cat people come in

I just found a worm on my cat....again!  Ugh!  This is the 80 millionth time she has had worms since we've had her.  I have used over the counter de-wormer and it only worked for a few weeks and I finally took her to the Vet about two months ago and they gave her a shot and some pills and the worms were gone...until just now.  It just really grosses me out and I know I should take her back to be retreated, but it is so expensive!  Is there something I am missing?  She is strictly an indoor cat and the only cat in our house, so I am not sure how she keeps getting infected.  Should I ask my vet for something else?  I don't know a whole lot about cats and any cat knowledge is greatly appreciated!  Please help!

TYVM!!!

Re: NBR: Cat people come in

• Options
    Maybe they will give her her next treatment for free seeing as she just got one. I would demand it. GL.
  • Options
    you need to get her dewormed ... again (blech).  You need to be diligent about the catbox, and do some antiflea treatment. You may even need to do a flea bomb in the house, and just go over to your mom's for a day, while it clears.  Talk to your vet about what needs to be done. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageablou:
    you need to get her dewormed ... again (blech).  You need to be diligent about the catbox, and do some antiflea treatment. You may even need to do a flea bomb in the house, and just go over to your mom's for a day, while it clears.  Talk to your vet about what needs to be done. 

This- I know its a PITA to get your cat dewormed again, but they wont go away on their own and can be transmitted to you!  I would definitely talk to your vet though about the fact that your cat has them again, and if they can work with you on the price or whatever.  GL!

• Options
    I doubt you are going to get the dewormer for free as some PP have mentioned, but you can probably call and have them refill it without the pet being seen. That will save you a lot of money.  Also, what do the worms look like?  If they are little tiny segments (kind of like small pieces of rice), I'm sorry to tell you that you have fleas, although you may never even see them, it only takes one to get the worms.  Did your vet check a fecal sample to see what type of worms they were?
  • Options
    Save the worm to show the vet too - maybe he gave you the wrong medicine last time?
  • Options
    when you dewormed her did you (or really hubby) toally change and disinfect the litterbox? somehow they can re-enter your cat from there. I would def. take her back to the vet cause maybe they have more ideas of how she is getting them. good luck!
  • Options
    I would take her back to the vet. I know it's expensive, but they should be able to get rid of it. Especially if you tell them that the last treatment didnt' work!
  • Options
    You didn't specify which type of worm your cat has. So, if they are tapeworms then you have fleas in your house which would be why kitty keeps getting infected. Fleas transmit tapeworm eggs so you would want to call the exterminator and get kitty some anti-flea medication from the vet such as revolution or frontline as well as a refill of dewormer. Even for an indoor cat, keeping them on the anti-flea medication will protect them against worms transmitted by fleas. If kitty has roundworms, then the litterbox may not be as clean as possible. I would bleach the box and start kitty on monthly revolution which prevents roundworm infection in cats.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"