3rd Trimester
Options

Anyone have sciatic nerve pain so severe they can't walk???

I have sharp, shooting pains in my butt and down my right leg all day and night at this point....I can barely walk due to the pain (it's literally paralyzing at times--sort of like a charlie horse), but I keep being told there's not much you can do about sciatica while pregnant.  Ice and heat help a little, but it's hard to keep those things on me all day at work....I also do yoga regularly.  Some days it helps a little, and others it just irritates it and makes it worse....

Just wondering if anyone else out there was dealing with this, and if anyone has found anything that helps??!!  

Re: Anyone have sciatic nerve pain so severe they can't walk???

• Options
    I have found that a heating pad, and sitting on my exercise ball helps at times.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine is not that bad, but also comes and goes. It's also on my right leg and at times my right leg will go numb making it almost impossible to walk without limping or holding on to something. I just try to stretch it out and I try different sitting positions during the day. Sorry I can't be of more help!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine is also really bad right now, too. When it's really, really painful I'll take Tylenol 3 before bed, just so I can get some sleep. During the day, though, I haven't found much to alleviate the pain. It will get better after you deliver, although after DD I continued to have trouble with my back that hasn't fully gone away. Hope you feel better!
  • Options
    When mine gets really bad it's my signal to sit down and abandon whatever it is I'm doing. Tylenol has helped a little, but putting my feet up and taking it easy are what works best for me.
  • Options

Oh yes mine our on and off.  Its the worst.  Good Luck to you.

• Options

Mine comes and goes./ When I do have it, it can be hard to walk because my leg goes completely limp. My Dr. prescribed massage/chiropractic therapy for it. Now I can't actually afford it so I'm not going to go but if you have good insurance I hear it can be really helpful. Otherwise, I just sort of hop/wobble around.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine sent me to the floor a couple times during 20-25 weeks...heating pads helped a bit, i tried to stretch it out once and that was a BAD idea. It was way worse the next day. Also, I had dh massage it a bit, i think that helped as well. Otherwise, you just gotta wait it out. It will go away eventually.
  • Options

I get it usually down my left leg and usually when I go to stand up or bed over.  I've collapsed a few time because I wasn't expecting it and couldn't brace myself.  I usually just sit down, and wait a few minutes, then attempt to do whatever I was trying to do again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had it terrible last week. Some of the girls on here suggested one of those maternity support belts so I ran out and bought one and it helped a ton. GL!
  • Options
    Mine isn't too bad. I don't have too much trouble during the day. But my legs are killing me by the end of the day. I kid you not, I wake up EVERY morning, stretch and get a charlie horse in both legs! I had to learn to stretch with my toes already pointed to stop the pain.
  • Options

Mine is on the left and excrutiating over the past 3 days. I nearly cried trying to get out of bed to pee last night and all I've done today is alternate lying on my side on the sofa.

I find it definitely gets worse the more I sit/lie around. Once I'm up and moving, I don't notice as much, but no amount of 'pregnancy safe' drugs seem to help.

My midwife has suggested swimming...but I'm too vain because I look like a manatee and there's no way I'm getting in a swimsuit looking like this.

• Options
    I have had to crawl and hop to the bathroom because the pain was so bad. I went to the chriopractor in the beginning and then my Dr. recommended I go to a physical therapist. I've been going to a physical therapist since 21 weeks and it has helped greatly. I wasn't sure if insurance was going to cover it, but they did so that was a plus.
  • Options
    It is kind of like a charlie horse because the muscle is wrapped tightly around the nerve.  So you need to work out the tight muscle.  You can use a foam roller but I have found that a tennis ball or racquetball is even more effective.  With hands and feet on the floor, sit on the ball (so the painful area of your butt is right on the ball) and gently roll back and forth, leaning toward the painful side, to work it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"