Trouble TTC
Options

New to Clomid....

We have been TTC since May with no luck. I had some blood tests run and my progesterone level is 4.6.... should be 13 so it is significantly low. My DR suggested Clomid even though we haven't been trying for a year because my level was so low.

My Dr started me on Clomid this cycle @ 50mg days 3-7. She told me to do a home monitoring kit to see when I ovulate because I need to come in and get a blood test 7 days after ovulation. They said NOTHING to me about having an ultrasound for lining thinning or anything..... should I ask or wait till I have been on Clomid for multiple cycles?

Today was my first pill and I just hope I dont get all the nausea and other side effects I hear about. Hopefully this helps.... more blood tests to come 7 days after ovulation. :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New to Clomid....

• Options

Hi there,

I just finished my 4th round of Clomid and never had an ultrasound for uterine lining thinning.   I did have a whole lot of blood tests though.  Maybe that is the case for women who have been on it extended periods of time.  I would suggest asking ANY questions you may have about it.  

I had great success with it and ovulated every cycle.

I wasn't a huge fan of how it made me feel at first, but by the 3rd cycle It didn't bother me anymore.  My body must have adjusted to it.   I didn't feel nauseous though.  I had hot flashes the first 2 cycles on it..full out hot flashes lol.  and trouble sleeping the first cycle on it.  

I will say that as annoying as the side effects were,  they certainly were not intolerable.

Good luck :)

• Options
    you shouldn't be taking it without more testing and monitoring.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have heard different things on this too, so I didn't know what to expect.  My sister did not have ultrasounds on Clomid and the blood tests showed she did not ovulate.  Well, the blood tests they ran only went through about her 15th cycle day.  Apparently she was a late ovulator and just happened to ovulate later and get pregnant.  However, since they didn't monitor, the doctor assumed she didn't ovulate at all.

So, my understanding is that u/s monitoring is helpful because women ovulate at such different times.  There are also some health risks with Clomid, so monitoring is probably a good idea.  They called it a "follicular series" at my doctor's office, a series of 4 sonograms to watch your ovaries and Uterus.

• Options

I am on my 5th cycle of Clomid.  The first one was at 50mg, the next two at 100mg and the last and current at 150mg.  They put me on the Clomid because I wasn't ovulating and have increased the dosage to get my Progesterone level to what it should be.  Las month was the first month it's been where it needs to be.  I take the pills from CD 5 to CD 9.  I go in for an ultrasound on CD 12.  They tell me how many eggs I have in there and check to see how big they are.  My doc usually wants the dominant follicle to be about 18mm at that point. They've also had me going on CD21 for the Progesterone test to make sure I ovulated.  I like seeing the doctor every month and having the ultrasounds done.  It reassures me that things are going the way they should be and gives us an idea of when I will ovulate.  Good luck to you!

• Options

I'm just starting my 3rd round on Clomid.  We have not been trying for a year yet either but I have not ovulated in 9 months, so Clomid made sense.  I still have not ovulated on Clomid but on the upside I have not felt any symptoms.  The first month I did feel a bit on edge but it was not terrible.  Then again, I'm the type that tries not to let things effect me too much.  As for monitoring, my dr does not do that with low doses of Clomid.  He will only prescribe up to 150mg.  If that does not work, he will refer to a RE. Don't know if that's incredibly wrong but that's the way he does it.  Regardless, he said he would probably be referring me at the end of this  month.

GL with everything!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! I think I am going to call my OBGYN office tomorrow and ask the nurse if I should be getting ultrasounds or anything else and see what she says and go from there...... if she doesnt satisfy me with her answer maybe I will change OBs, dont know yet :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"