2nd Trimester
Options

100 mg B6?

I will be 14 weeks tomorrow and have had m/s for 2 months now, with severe vomiting.  My doctor prescribed Zofran, and it worked for a few days in the beginning but not so much anymore.  I've tried everything that I can think of (drinking flat ginger ale, eating crackers before getting out of bed, taking Benadryl, sucking on Preggy Pops and other sour suckers) and nothing works.  A friend told me about taking B6 in the morning and that it has worked with everyone she knows who was pregnant.  So I went out and bought B6 vitamins yesterday and noticed it's a 100 mg dosage, is this safe?  Who else is taking B6 for their m/s and does it work?  Thanks.

Re: 100 mg B6?

• Options

From  https://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=32502

B6 Prolonged useage of B6 at high doses (I think the study was 1,000 mgs a day) can lead to nerve damage. Therefore, Motherisk recommends no more than 150 mgs per day. 200 mgs per day for a month or two is not considered prolonged useage, but they strongly prefer no more than 150 mgs, and recommend that anyone on more than 150 mgs reduce their B6 intake if at all possible. Please remember to include B6 in a B complex Vitamin, or Multi-Vitamin, or Prenatals if you are taking any of them. There are different ways B6 is available. First, it's available over the counter at any grocery or drug store in a tablet, usually 25, 50, or 100 mgs. To save $, buy the 100 mgs, and a pill splitter, as they can be hard to split by hand. B6 must be paired with an enzyme in order to be available for use within the body, and unpaired B6 is just wasted in the urine, so do not take more than 25-50 mgs at a time, and take your doses throughout the day so they are more effectively absorbed. B6 is also available in a sublingual form, which means that it dissolves in your mouth like the Zofran ODT, and is absorbed directly into your blood stream - no water needed. Sublingual is already paired with the neccessary enzyme. Sublingual B6 is available in 25 mgs which also gives you more flexibility in being able to take it as needed. I've heard that the peppermint flavor is preferrable over the orange, and it needs to be special ordered by a health foods store for you, or a vitamin store, or can be purchased on-line. I have tasted the sublingual while pregnant, and found it quite bitter. As long as I didn't move it around too much in my mouth and half-slept through taking it, I was ok. Women who have tasted it NOT pregnant reported no bitter taste. The 3rd form of B6 is referred to as Pyridoxine (B6) Injections. They sting, they hurt, they build scar tissue, but not having any clue about the sublingual B6 when I was pg, I had injections w/ both of mine, and it kept me out of the hospital, and were that last little thing that kept me from going over the edge (in addition to the Phenergan or Zofran/Unisom I was already on). I wonder if sublingual is as effective as the injected, or nearly so, but haven't had that one answered. I do know personally that 100mgs injected was more effective than 200 taken orally. B6 follows the same absorption rules as other meds. Oral least effective, sublingual MUCH MORE effective w/ B6, and injected IM (intramuscularly) is even better. B6/Unisom is more effective taken together, at the same time, but they are individually helpful as well. Some gals do not react well to one or the other, so use them with out the other. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    what my dr recommended me to was to cut the pill and take 25 mg three times a day.. did it help? not really - im taking zofran on the pump now.. 
    babies
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been taking B6 and unisom throughout my pregnancy (as recommended by my Dr). I take 1/2 a unisom and 50mg (I think) of B6 at night. I've not been good about taking it here lately, and I can definitely tell a difference the days after not taking it.

I take Zofran also, but it's becoming less and less often. (It was every other day during first trimester but is now once/week).

• Options
    i am currently taking the B6 vitamin with a unisom before bed for m/s and it works pretty well for me.  my "safe meds" sheet says 25 mg 3 times a day is the safe dosage, so i wouldn't take the whole tablet.  i also have the 100mg size & i take just half (just use a knife to cut it).  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"