Health & Exercise

Caloric intake question - while PG ;)

I'm used to counting calories and eating between 1400-1800 per day - I try to stay on the low end. 

I know I need to eat about 150 more calories in the first trimester to keep up with the baby - but, how many calories should I start from...should I really be eating 2150 calories per day? I can't imagine not gaining weight if I do that!

I am 5'4'' and weight about 135...

Any ideas? 

Re: Caloric intake question - while PG ;)

• I wouldn't be worried about gaining weight while pregnant, that is the whole point.  I would honestly stop counting calories now and just eat healthy and focus on the baby and not your weight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's just 150 more than what you are usually eating.  It is hard not worrying about weight.  I was really worried because I lost about 40lbs 5 years ago and didn't want to gain too much weight during my pregnancy.  I've been focused more on just being healthy and avoiding all those empty calories.  Sometimes though I would just be so hungry, I would eat anything on hand!  I think it's important to listen to your body, but would have a lot of healthy, quick snacks available.  I would talk with your doctor though and just double check what you are eating and see if there is anything you're not getting.  GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been wondering the same thing lately...I normally restrict to about 1600-1700 calories/day....sometimes less...Instead of trying to count and figure out how many calories I need/should be getting, I have just been trying to eat whenever I actually feel hunger (not boredom hunger...true hunger) and then when I do, I make sure to eat a protein and a vegetable...I've also been eating a lot of yams...I hear they are absolutely wonderfully nutritious for the baby and they are also very filling!!  Just make sure that you are getting enough of all your food groups...this is not the time for a low carb diet...you need dairy, whole grains, protein and fruits and vegetables!  Just listen to your body, it'll tell you when you need to eat!!  Just keep it healthy and continue to exercise...you won't gain the hefty weight that you are fearing you'll gain.
  • From a fitness standpoint... you need an extra 300 calories a day while pregnant, and an extra 500 a day while breastfeeding. Yes, it takes more calories to breastfeed than to grow a baby :)

300 a day isn't too much extra- it's an extra serving of fruit, etc. Not too extreme.

• Eat real food to satisfy your hunger, and you will be fine. Real food = meat and vegetables, nuts and seed, fruit, unprocessed oils (olive, coconut, walnut, avocado)
  • Thanks everyone - I think I'm ok - I've been really good about eating healthy foods - having baby carrots on-hand...I think I'm ok, I just don't want to eat too much - but, I'd rather have to work hard to lose the weight instead of starving the baby of the nutrition it needs! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"