Success after IF
Options

I didn't know babies shouldn't sleep on the boppy :(

I read on the 'confessions' post that the tag on the boppy pillow says to not let the child sleep on it. I looked on mine and sure enough, in all caps is says so. I feel so horrible. First night home with our son, I put him there and let him sleep inbetween us. Now he sleeps in his bassinett but during the day, I plop him there while I check my email or clean up a little (of course, I keep an eye on him). Why is it so dangerous? Danny loves being elevated rather than being flat.
TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy

Re: I didn't know babies shouldn't sleep on the boppy :(

• Options
    I guess maybe because they could slip down and potentially block off their airways?  That being said, we have re-usuable "boppys" in our unit in the hospital.  We prop babies with severe reflux up on them all the time to sleep.  They are swaddled and then have a "butt bumper" underneath them so that they don't slide down.  We are also checking on them often.
  • Options
    I let Ben sleep in the boppy many times when he was really little. He had a cold what seemed like every few weeks, so to help him he had to be elevated. The boppy was perfect, but we were always near him when he slept in the boppy, too. I think they say it's dangerous cause it could block air supply. Maybe put something underneathe his back so he is completely elevated.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We let Ella do this while she was younger on the couch next to us, as long as she was swaddled.  I think there are safe and unsafe ways to use it and they put that warning there to cover their butts.  I wouldn't feel bad, you were right there with him.
    Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • Options
    I use it when I'm right there with him. I think it's just on there because there's the potential of them sliding down, and being suffocated by it. I'm sure that's a highly unlikely scenario, but they don't want any lawsuits just in case.
    TTC for 19 months. Dx: PCOS. 3 IUI's with Clomid= BFN 1st IUI with injectables= BFP imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When DD was younger that was the only place you took a nap besides my arm. I put her on the couch next to me. I think if you are next to him he should be fine
  • Options
    Thanks, I feel better now :) Yes, I always keep an eye on him when he's in it (well, I ALWAYS keep an eye on him)  and I put a blanket in the hole so he's not entirely elevated and has some support.
    TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
  • Options
    As long as they are being monitored, and especially before they are really mobile at all, it can be fine. My boys napped in their boppys every day for about 6 months. Because of their reflux, I even put them go sleep in boppys, and would move them after they were asleep. There were some times though where I had to panic because I would come up to move them, and they would have slunk down into the middle of the boppy and have their face against the pillow, yikes!!
    Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
  • Options
    We used ours too in the early days.  Just remember that it's not just a face in the pillow issue but also a slumped down/kink in the airway issue -- which is sounds like you are addressing by putting something under his bum. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS still uses his.  uses it every night as his pillow, he can't sleep w/o it.  when we were bed sharing we put the boppy in between us and DS slept there.  he took all his naps in it as well.  we transitioned him to his PnP (in our room, he HATES his crib) about a month and a half ago and he uses his boppy in the PnP.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    It puts the baby at a really dangerous angle. Same deal with car seats.
  • Options
    I've done this with the Boppy around me and then my DD sleeping on the Boppy but leaning on me.  For some time that was the only way to get her to sleep and have me able to do some stuff on the computer.  I didn't know there was a warning at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"