Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Don't go trick or treating...

in a snotty neighborhood.  Poor Harm visited 12 homes in our neighborhood (DINC [dual income no kids]) and only 3 had candy and only one had decent good candy.  If I had a 5 yr old that kid would have been in tears!
Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg

Re: Don't go trick or treating...

• Options
    poor Harm! I guess it's time to go searching for a good neighborhood to visit.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

image*francisca*:
    in a snotty neighborhood.  Poor Harm visited 12 homes in our neighborhood (DINC [dual income no kids]) and only 3 had candy and only one had decent good candy.  If I had a 5 yr old that kid would have been in tears!

I don't think it is snotty to be DINK and not participate in trick or treating...what do they get out of it? When I was single, I was never home for giving out candy. Were their porch lights on? It surprises me if they were. Plus, define "decent good candy"? Any candy=free candy=by definition "good candy". 

If they were giving out toothpaste and carrot sticks you might have an argument though. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

what's snotty about not passing out candY?  esp. if you don't have kids of your own?

it's not required.

• Options
    DH and I always handed out candy before we had kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

image*francisca*:
    If I had a 5 yr old that kid would have been in tears!

My thought is that there must not be older kids in the neighborhood because the eggs and tp would be let loose on the halloween "grinches." 

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    I was never home on Halloween before I was married....  But if I was, I would give out good candy!
  • Options
    People actually had their porch lights on and weren't passing out candy?  I think most know to turn off the lights if they don't want to participate.  
  • Options

That sucks for Harm.

I just don't understand what their job/income had to do with it. 

• Options

Oh gee, you ladies are feisty tonight. 

Halloween is a tradition and I do think it is snotty not to at least have the decency to leave your porch light off if you are not going to pass out candy on Halloween night. When I was gone I left the light off!  These people didn't.

In real estate DINK is a term for young professionals that are dual income no kids.  My family sells houses and we happen to know that is the make up of the neighborhood.  Last year we rented in a young family neighborhood.  Everyone was participating. 

And for the record our house was one of like 4 that were not egged tonight so obviously I wasn't the only one who thought these people should have had candy.  (I'm not condoning they got egged... in fact I feel bad they did.  Our new neighbor came over and asked if we saw anything.)

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options

I think that's kinda sucky. DH and I always gave out candy before we had kids. It's just the way we do things. It's fun to see all the kids in the neighborhood all dressed up.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

LOL.

I feel bad for Harm, but I wouldn't feature that in your next brochure. Wink

• Options
    If I was DINK, I certainly wouldn't be home!  I would be partying it up :o).  I guess you know where not to go next year.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Our lights automatically come on in the evening, I even asked DH if he could figure out how to turn them off without taking the bulb out. I don't see the big deal. It's just candy. Our neighborhood was crawling with kids, we just sat in our living room watching movies. Rude? Maybe, but their are plenty of other places to get candy.
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • Options

I don't see how being a DINK and not passing out candy makes you a snob.  Some people don't care about Halloween and don't want to spend the $$ on candy.  That doesn't make them snobby. 

Also, if there aren't many kids in your neighborhood...you know you aren't going to get many trick or treaters.  My ILS live in that type of neighborhood.   Our neighborhood has TONS of kids and people know it.  They 'bus' their kids into our neighborhood.  It's so annoying and there's lots of traffic.

Sorry his ToT experience was a bust, but I don't think that makes those people snobby.

DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • Options
    imagesouthernbelle82:

I don't see how being a DINK and not passing out candy makes you a snob.  Some people don't care about Halloween and don't want to spend the $$ on candy.  That doesn't make them snobby. 

Also, if there aren't many kids in your neighborhood...you know you aren't going to get many trick or treaters.  My ILS live in that type of neighborhood.   Our neighborhood has TONS of kids and people know it.  They 'bus' their kids into our neighborhood.  It's so annoying and there's lots of traffic.

Sorry his ToT experience was a bust, but I don't think that makes those people snobby.

I have to agree with this. Not giving out candy doesn't necessarily mean that they're snobby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The egging is why we spend 80 on candy . My neighbor ran out last year because I bought her candy (she was laid off) I couldn't afford 80 for her too. They spray painted the back of her house with bvtch. It is these kids that get dropped off here, they are bad :(. I think it is sad people just can't understand sometimes people don't have the money to hand out candy like that to 1000s of kids. We get hit so hard here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"